Saturday, March 16, 2024

New poem: "The Dying Poet"

 

The Dying Poet

 

She’s dying, and reading her poetry

on social media is like watching a frog

cooking in a slow-boiling pot of water;

it’s agony. How I so wish for her to step

out of the paradigm of her life-long

patterns of thought that shaped her story;

it would do her poor soul a world of good

to let go of her smothering belief system

and try something dramatically different,

like the promising age-old idea that when

our body dies, we step through a door

into a whole new life that gives us another

opportunity to realize our true self. I’m

sorry to say, really, I am, that as much

as her sad little poems ache to move me,

my heart refuses to weep for her, because

I know that all of this is true, and I would

so love to see an essential shift in her frantic

verse before she takes her leave once more

from this beautiful, misunderstood world;

it would truly be a joyous miracle.

 

Composed in Georgian Bay, Ontario

Wednesday, March 5, 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment