Saturday, August 23, 2014

10: The Mooring of Our Life


10 

The Mooring of Our Life 

“The more the outside world spins out of control,
The more your interior world must assume total control.”

Caroline Myss 

Canada Day, and it’s raining; so we don’t know if we’re going to venture out to take in the Canada Day celebrations. We usually go to Orillia, the town that Stephen Leacock made famous with his Sunset Sketches of a Little Town. They celebrate Canada Day by the waterfront with various food booths and activities, and if he’s up to it Gospel Elvis may show up to sing a tune or two with endearing verisimilitude. We may still attend; but as we were having our morning coffee the conversation found its way to the interior life, how people are so focused on their exterior life that they have very little time to focus on their interior life, and I said to Penny, “I think I should do a spiritual musing on this.”
But I needed an entry point, as I always do whenever an idea for a spiritual musing comes to me; so we talked about this and that—friends and relatives, which was normal, and the new book that I was reading, Caroline Myss’s book Entering the Castle, Finding the Inner Path to God and Your Soul’s Purpose; and as we talked about the interior life the word “mooring” just popped into my mind, and with a gentle nod from my Muse I’m going to explore the concept of “mooring” in today’s spiritual musing… 

To moor something is to anchor it, like mooring a boat. In his iconic poem Invictus, which inspired Nelsen Mandela for 27 years in prison on Robben Island, the poet William Ernest Henley sees our life as a ship at the mercy of the capricious forces of the sea of life, which he refers to as “the fell clutch of circumstance,” but despite what tempestuous forces come soul’s way, Henley says, “I am the master of my fate: /I am the captain of my soul.”
Henley’s poem Invictus anchored Nelson Mandela’s soul. He wrote the poem on a scrap of paper and had it on his prison wall and drew strength from it every day; in this way he “moored” his soul despite “the horror of the shades” and “menace of the years.” “I am fundamentally an optimist,” Mandela wrote in his memoirs. “I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.” And when he was released from prison he became president of South Africa; and the Robben Island prison became a monument to his indomitable courage, endurance, and optimism.
Ever since the explosion of social media I’ve been in a quandary, because for the life of me I fail to see where we are headed; it all seems to be coming in so fast and furious that it feels like a phantasmagoric blur of human activity that has no inherent purpose, and life feels like a rudderless ship blown hither and thither by the capricious god Poseidon.  
I know better, though. I know that life is not a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing; but one would never guess this from social media. It all seems to be up in the air, a catch-as-catch-can game of beat the clock before the monster tsunami comes rolling in and destroys us all, and people are too afraid to stop and moor their soul to safe harbor and grab as much life as they can before their ship goes down; even the hosts of my favorite CBC talk shows Q and The Current are speaking at double the speed to squeeze in all the information they can into their limited slot of time. It’s exhausting!
Has society lost its mooring? Is this why there are so many social disruptions and soul-wrenching insurrections across the world—not to mention all the calamitous weather anomalies that have uprooted so many lives? What’s going on?
Change, that’s what’s going on. The winds of change are blowing throughout the world, especially in the Middle East, and the world is going through a transition that has thrown us all into confusion. That’s why it feels like the world is going mad. But it’s not. It just seems that way. But the change that I see coming may not be so easy to explain…

 

         

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment