Saturday, June 24, 2017

New Poem: "Off to a New Life"

Off to a New Life…

A boy and girl—well, not quite,
he was 24 and she 22, and they were
off to Nova Scotia, he to better his chances
for admission into Dalhousie to advance
his degree in Physiotherapy by establishing
residency, and she to further her degree in
Psychology to realize her dream of marriage
counselling, and I said to her, dipping into
the fount of my great wisdom, “C. G. Jung
discovered the principle of individuation,
the purpose of our being, and a marriage
that does not respect a partner’s need for
self-identity will always need counselling,”
and I gave the young couple starting out
on their new life together so far away from
North Ontario a copy of my novel, a story
of synchronicity and Platonic love to read,
and a one-hundred-dollar bill for their first
dinner out in Halifax, a symbolic gesture of
good luck because I’m superstitious and
I’d like to believe that the gods of fate
can be bribed with good will.


No comments:

Post a Comment