Saturday, September 30, 2017

New Spiritual Musing: "The Bread Maker Coincidence and Sharon's Comeuppance"


The Bread Maker Coincidence
And Sharon’s Comeuppance

In our house, we call her Sharon. She’s Murphy’s sister. As I joked with our neighbors one day when they walked over for a glass of wine on our front deck, “If you think Murphy’s bad, wait until you meet his sister Sharon. She’s ten times worse than her brother.”
   Murphy’s Law states that if anything can go wrong, it will; and to make the point with our neighbors that our life seemed to have been thrown off kilter the past few weeks, starting with my vehicle accident that I explored in my spiritual musing “The Old Trickster,” I had to kick Murphy’s Law up a notch; that’s how his sister Sharon came into being.
Well, Sharon struck again this past week, starting with the leak in Goober’s new tank. Goober is our goldfish, which we brought with us when Penny and I moved to our new home in Georgian Bay fourteen years ago, so Goober’s very old as goldfish go; and Penny got Goober a new tank a few months ago at Walmart in Wasaga Beach, regretting that she did not get the larger tank which was only a few dollars more, and then our bread maker died the other day when I put on dough for pizza, and the following morning our coffee maker sputtered in that familiar way coffee makers do when they’re about to give up the ghost; so, we had to replace all three items, and Penny and I went shopping Sunday in Midland after we treated ourselves to breakfast at Captain Ken’s in Penetanguishene.
Penny had gone on Amazon to check out bread makers, so she had a good idea of what she wanted; but there wasn’t much selection at Canadian Tire in Midland, and what they did have were too pricey for our budget; so, we went to Walmart and came home with a larger tank for Goober and new coffee maker but no bread maker, and Penny decided to order one from Amazon. But when we got home, Sharon struck again when the garage door wouldn’t open when I pressed the remote control affixed to the sun visor of the car. I tried several times, and when I went in to check I saw that the screws holding the bracket attached to the automatic door-opening track had ripped loose and had to be re-screwed, which I had done twice already, and this final indignity was like a slap in the face; but strangely enough, this set into motion the merciful law of divine synchronicity and Sharon’s comeuppance…

I love coincidences. I look forward to them every day, and I’m always tickled with joy when they happen because you cannot plan a coincidence. Like Murphy’s Law and his nastier sister Sharon’s Revenge, coincidences have a mind of their own, and they only happen for a reason; and that’s what I’d like to explore in today’s spiritual musing.
Because I’ve been engaged with the synchronicity principle most of my life, which was fully realized when serendipity introduced me to a street in Tiny Township, Georgian Bay, named after me (STOCCO CIRCLE) where Penny and I built our new home fourteen years ago, I’m not surprised when the dots for a new spiritual musing begin to connect, because that’s how the synchronicity principle works in the service of soul, and something that Zen poet Jane Hirshfield said about her relationship to poetry in Bill Moyers book Fooling with Words, A Celebration of Poets and Their Craft, caught my attention the other morning when I felt “nudged” to read  Bill Moyers book; and as I always do when something speaks to me, I highlighted the passage: “Sometime I think that poems use us in order to think, to do their own work,” said Jane Hirshfield. “You know, most of the time I feel as if I am in the service of the poem—a poem isn’t something I make, it’s something I serve.”
And herein lies the mystery of the synchronicity principle that Hirshfield failed to see, that not only is she in the service of her poetry, but that the spirit of poetry, what I call “it” in the poem I wrote that she inspired, serves her no less than she serves the spirit of poetry, the omniscient guiding principle of life that serves every soul in their journey through life—


She almost has “it” but does not quite
know it; another experience, another
poem, another nanometer closer to “it.”
Something she said gave her away:
“Most of the time I feel as if I am
in service of the poem,” but not until
she sees that “it” is in equal service
to her will she have “it” and be
whole and complete.

Being a writer compelled to write, I know what Jane Hirshfield meant by saying that sometimes she feels like she is in the service of her poems, because when I’m called to write a poem I often do not know what the poem wants to say, thus affirming Hirshfield’s insight that our poems do our thinking for us (as do my spiritual musings); but what is the poet serving if not one’s own destined purpose to wholeness and completeness?
A poem shines a light upon one’s path, making one’s way easier because it brings one’s outer journey into harmony with one’s destined purpose to wholeness and completeness, and coincidences are life’s way of confirming the natural harmonization process of inevitable self-reconciliation; but what does this have to do with Murphy’s Law and Sharon’s Revenge?
Aye, there’s the rub that makes calamity of so great a fortune, because life has a way of throwing a monkey wrench into the gears of our life; but how can we expect our life to run smoothly all the time when there are built-in faults and obsolescence?
If something can go wrong, it will; and our bread maker had to wear out eventually, as did our coffee maker, so why be surprised when they do? We didn’t expect our fish tank to spring a leak so soon after our purchase, though; but the fatigue-factor built into everything eventually catches up to us, and our tank sprung a leak because the fault was in the assembly, thus affirming Murphy’s Law that if anything can go wrong, it will. And our bread and coffee makers had a limited life span, so there shouldn’t have been any surprise there either. But because these items gave up their ghost in such close temporal proximity to each other (the superstition of three “bad” things happening in a row), we attach some kind of nefarious meaning to their occurrence. But there’s nothing sinister about built-in defects and obsolescence; that’s just the way it is.
And as to our garage door, the final indignity, I should have seen it coming because I knew that the metal of the door was too thin for the screws to hold indefinitely (a manufacturing fault), which was why I decided that this time I would fasten a ¾ 6 x 12 inch piece of plywood to the door to fasten the screws that held the bracket attached to the automatic track; but I didn’t have a piece of plywood, and I was going to walk over to my neighbor Tony’s place later because I knew he would have it, as well as the screws; and that’s when the remarkable coincidence with the bread maker happened…

Penny went for a walk around STOCCO CIRCLE after we brought our new fish tank and coffee maker and other sundries into the house and I sat on the front deck to read my Sunday Star just to pause and catch my breath, but when Penny came back from her walk she said to me: “Tony’s home. He’s out in his garage.”
“I’ll go over and see if he has a piece of plywood and some screws,” I said, and Penny went into the house. But unbeknown to me, while I was talking with Tony in his garage Penny had gone online to select and order a new bread maker from Amazon.
I rode my bike to Tony’s and saw him standing by his work bench studying something that was making a funny but familiar sound. I greeted Tony and asked what he was doing, and he told me he was trying to figure out what that unit was.
“That’s a bread maker,” I said, “and it’s supposed to work like that.” Tony had the unit plugged in but thought that it was malfunctioning because the little paddle that kneaded the bread dough wasn’t revolving as he thought it should; it revolved interruptedly.
Tony was cleaning out his garage and back shed and old chairs and stuff from under his back deck that had been there for years and loading everything onto his trailer and then he was going to make a trip to the dump, that’s why he was checking out that appliance which just happened to be a perfectly good bread maker that an Italian lady for whom he had done a small job had given to him fifteen years ago, and he was going to throw it away.
“It works just fine, Tony,” I said. “Maybe Maria can use it?”
A widow also, Maria was his life companion after his wife died; but Maria was old fashioned and kneaded her dough by hand, so Tony offered it to me and I was strongly “nudged” to leave my bike and quickly carry the bread maker over to our house after explaining to Tony why I had come over. He did have a piece of plywood and screws, but I wanted to surprise Penny with the remarkable coincidence of the bread maker first.
Penny was in her office upstairs, and as soon as I walked into the house I shouted up to her: “Have you ordered the break maker yet?”
“I’m just about to,” she said.
“Well don’t,” I said. “Come on down here. I got a bread maker from Tony.”
Penny couldn’t believe the coincidence. She had just taken her Master card out and was about to order the new bread maker when I shouted up to her not to, and after giving the unused bread maker (which in its day was a higher end model called Bread Chef) a thorough cleaning she put on a batch of dough to make fresh buns for dinner; and while she was doing that, I went back to Tony’s and explained my garage door problem and, of course Tony being Tony, he walked over with me and sized up the problem and together we got the garage door opener working properly (plus another nagging little job), and then we sat on the front deck and had a nice cold beer. And that’s how Sharon got her comeuppance.
 ———

No comments:

Post a Comment