Saturday, October 20, 2018

One Rule to Live By: Be Good, Chapter 20: The Dilemma of Evolution


CHAPTER 20

The Dilemma of Evolution

          After I finished reading 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, I was strongly nudged by to re-read Jess Stearn’s book The Search for a Soul: Taylor Caldwell’s Psychic Lives, which I finished reading in one day on my front deck, getting much more out of it this time than I did the first time I read it more than thirty years ago.  
It was a warm spring day in Georgian Bay, and I enjoyed reading on my deck, but I had no idea why I was nudged to read Jess Stearn’s book again until it dawned on me that my oracle wanted to enhance the paradigm of karma and reincarnation that One Rule to Live By: Be Good prepares one for, because all paths in life lead to this perspective, however many lifetimes it takes; and Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules for Life, whose imperatives is to help one resolve the paradoxical nature of their inner and outer self, can only make one ready for the secret way that will lead them to wholeness and completeness, because 12 Rules for Life can only take one so far on their journey through life and no further.
This is the dilemma of evolution and the irony of Jordan Peterson’s book. For all of his  brilliance, passion, and good will the good professor cannot provide a way to negotiate the rest of the way to wholeness and completeness (I suspect he knows this intuitively, because there is only self-initiation into the mysteries of life), and after I read Jess Stearn’s book on Taylor Caldwell’s past lives, I was called to re-read his book Intimates Through Time: Edgar Cayce’s Mysteries of Reincarnation; and when I finished reading this book, I immediately began re-reading Edgar Cayce’s Story of Karma, by Hugh Lynn Cayce, to remind myself of the bigger picture of why we are the way we are and why we do what we do.
I had to read 12 Rules for Life: And Antidote to Chaos again to consolidate my impressions and make sure I got the facts right, but every time I tried to get into it I was called away by Jess Stearn’s books, and only after I finished reading them did I see what my oracle was trying to tell me—that no matter how hard we try, we cannot deny the imperative of our inner nature to align ourselves with our destined purpose, which is to be true to who we are, just as I explored in my spiritual musing that was inspired by a movie that Penny and I saw on Netflix last summer called The Intern, starring Anne Hathaway and Robert De Niro, which I posted on my Spiritual Musings blog August 28, 2017:

Being the Tao

The idea for today’s spiritual musing presupposes so much that I don’t know if I can do it justice; but I have to try, or why else would I have been called to write it?
Upon reflection, I can see now how the idea came about; but it wasn’t until I heard Jules (Anne Hathaway) say to her new intern Ben (Robert De Niro) in Nancy Meyers movie The Intern, “How is it that you always manage to say the right thing, do the right thing, and be the right thing?” that the words “BEING THE TAO” popped into my mind like a canon shot, because unconsciously I had picked up that Jules Ostin’s intern Ben Whittaker was in the Tao; and that’s the subject of today’s spiritual musing...

In the ancient Chinese teaching, Tao means the way, and the teaching of Taoism is all about living the way; but here’s where we run into a problem because, as I wrote in my spiritual musing “An Old Chinese Proverb,” defining the way of Tao is next to impossible to do. But because I know what the way of Tao is, I have to try; and I know what the way of Tao is, because I was initiated into the sacred mystery of the way while on my own journey to wholeness and completeness. This is why I said that this idea of BEING THE TAO presupposes so much that I may not be able to do it justice.
However, it behooves me to offer my personal definition of the way, which has been drawn from my life of living the way consciously from the moment I awakened to the way: the way is the inherent wisdom of the teleological imperative of life; and living one’s life with purpose and meaning, regardless what path one is on, is living the imperative of the way, which initiates one into the sacred mystery of one’s true self and the Tao. In short, the way is the self-reconciling factor of life.
But why did the phrase BEING THE TAO pop into my mind and not BEING IN THE TAO, which would seem to make more sense? This, I believe, is the central mystery of the way that I’ve been called upon to explore in today’s spiritual musing—to draw the distinction between the two.
I’ve learned to have implicit trust in my muse (my creative unconscious), so I know that I’ve been called to elucidate upon the difference between BEING THE TAO and BEING IN THE TAO; and this difference speaks to the journey and the destination, because to be the Tao one must become the Tao, and that’s what living the way is all about.
For clarity’s sake, I’m going to simple refer to the Tao as the way, because my sidebar Merriam Webster dictionary defines way as: a thoroughfare for travel or transportation from place to place; the course traveled from one place to another: route; a course (a series of actions or sequences of events leading in a direction or toward an objective), which implies that the way is a process that leads to a destination; but what destination does the way lead to?
That’s the sacred mystery of the way, because the way leads to itself; that’s why my muse popped the words BEING THE TAO into my mind instead of BEING IN THE TAO, because Jules Ostin’s new intern Ben Whittaker was his own Tao, or way. And I knew this instinctively, because I too had become my own way in my self-initiation into the sacred mystery of the way; and being his own way, Ben Whittaker was BEING THE TAO.
This sounds like esoteric gobbledygook, but all it means is that seventy-year old intern Ben Whittaker was his own man; that’s why his young boss Jules Ostin, founding owner of the hugely successful e-commerce business called “About the Fit,” called him “cool.” Ben Whittaker played the game of life, but he played the game by his own rules; that’s what made him cool.
In my spiritual musing “The Essence of Cool,” I quote David Brooks (columnist for the New York Times and author of The Road to Character): “The cool person is stoical, emotionally controlled, never eager or needy, but instead mysterious, detached and self-possessed. The cool person is gracefully competent at something but doesn’t need the world’s applause to know his worth. That’s because the cool person has found his or her own unique and authentic way of living with nonchalant intensity.”
 That’s Ben Whittaker to a tee, a self-possessed septuagenarian widower with a moral center; well-seasoned, balanced, and sensitive enough to care about people who come into his life. “The cool person,” said David Brooks, “is guided by his or her own autonomous values, often on the outskirts of society,” which was what fascinated me about the easy-going Ben Whittaker in Nancy Meyers deceptively simple, feel-good comedy The Intern.
The morning after Penny and I watched The Intern, I went online to read the reviews; and it didn’t surprise me that every review missed the core message of the feel-good comedy which Ben Whittaker personified with easy-going charm and aplomb, the edifying principles of Tai Chi which are founded on the Taoism, the way to wholeness and completeness; that’s what led me to see Nancy Meyers, the writer-director of The Intern, as the female Woody Allen of movie-making sans Woody Allen’s moral vacuity, which was why Nancy Meyers had The Intern open with a scene of Ben Whittaker doing Tai Chi exercises in an open park with a group of seniors, and why she brought The Intern to symbolic  closure with another scene of Ben Whittaker doing his Tai Chi exercises, but this time with his young boss Jules Ostin joining him, thus implying that she was embracing the edifying philosophy of Taoism to help center herself in the Tao like her cool intern Ben Whittaker.
The premise of today’s spiritual musing rests upon my perception that the seventy-year-old widower intern personified the principles of Tai Chi, and my feeling is that the script writer/director Nancy Meyers succeeded brilliantly; otherwise my creative unconscious would not have picked up on it and inspired me with the words BEING THE TAO when Jules, albeit inebriated, said to her intern Ben: “How is it that you always manage to say the right thing, do the right thing, and be the right thing?” Which is nothing more, or less, than BEING THE TAO; which, in effect, simply means being one’s own way.

———

This is precisely how I see professor Jordan Peterson’s book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, as a Tai Chi exercise of the mind to help center the self in the Tao, a way to consolidate the energies of one’s life into a personal path, a guiding principle of 12 self-transformative rules that will give direction and purpose to one’s existence and fill the hole in one’s soul that religion, science, and politics cannot address in today`s crazy world; but why the inner nudge to re-read some of my Edgar Cayce literature?
Is this where my oracle wants One Rule to Live By: Be Good to go, to the frontiers of cognitive thought and into the deeper mysteries of soul’s purpose in life, a subject that not even the “Intellectual Dark Web” would dare explore for fear of derision and ridicule? They have yet to resolve the issue of God, let alone the question of the self—epiphenomenon of the brain or not; but where else can one go to satisfy the longing in their soul for wholeness and completeness when they have reached the limits of cognitive thought?
Just listen to professor Peterson’s talks and lectures and watch his inquiring mind desperately trying to break through his wall of unknowing, a deeply nuanced creative thinker who takes his thoughts as far as his mind can take them.
This is the irony of his book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos; it brings one to the edge of the existential paradigms of the mind, but no further. The rest of the way to one’s true self has to be negotiated individually, not with cognitive thinking but with personal commitment to a way of life that opens the door to the secret way of life; this is why I was called to write One Rule to Live By: Be Good, because this is the only rule that one needs to complete the rest of the journey to wholeness and completeness…

No comments:

Post a Comment