Saturday, March 2, 2019

One Rule to Live By: Be Good, Chapter 39: Not a Prophet or Reformer, Just a Writer...


CHAPTER 39

Not a Prophet or Reformer,
Just a Writer…
           
A poet speaks not only of their own individuation process, they speak for the collective individuation of the whole world, and when my poem What the Hell Is Going on Out There? came to me unbeckoned and word perfect, I knew that it spoke for me and the collective psyche of the world; and one year later professor Jordan Peterson was called to his destiny and provided an answer to my angry question, and he became the prophet and reformer that the collective psyche of the world was calling for, giving talks around the world on his book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos. “One of the most important thinkers to emerge on the world stage for many years,” said The Spectator.
Two days ago, November 29, 2018, Jordan Peterson was interviewed by Joe Rogan on his show, which was live-streamed on YouTube (Joe Rogan Experience #1208-Jordan Peterson), and when Jordan Peterson said that he had completed his 100-city global book tour (with more cities still to come), I knew that it was time to bring this story home.
In just two days the Rogan interview got a million and half views, which speaks to the Jordan Peterson effect; but when I finished watching the interview, I hadn’t learned anything new from Jordan Peterson that I hadn’t heard before, despite the exciting new iteration of the same hierophantic message that his professorial gift for public speaking always brought to the table, and I called upon my muse to bring One Rule to Live By: Be Good to closure…

When I was called to write One Rule to Live By: Be Good, I never felt compelled to expound upon Jordan Peterson’s hierophantic message, carefully analyzing each of his 12 rules for life and offering my understanding, one can explore this through his book, online lectures, podcasts and many interviews (and if one wants to dig deeper, they can also read his Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief); my creative directive was to offer a key to the door of the secret way that Jordan Peterson’s hierophantic message brought one to, should one be conscientious enough to take his shadow-dismantling, character-building message to heart—the same directive that compelled me to send Jordan Peterson four of my memoirs to read, two before he came into public prominence and two more when he was catapulted onto the world stage three years later to offer him insights and inspiration for his own courageous, and now quite challenging individuation process.
I sat and pondered how to bring this book to closure when to my surprise a spiritual musing that I wrote this past summer popped into my mind, and as irrelevant as it may appear to be, it speaks directly to the central issue of One Rule to Live By: Be Good:

A Pouring from the Empty into the Void

            The highly respected staff writer and book critic for The New Yorker James Wood said something to inveterate book lover Michael Silverblatt on a Bookworm podcast that called for a spiritual musing. I don’t remember his exact words, but in essence James Wood said, ‘When an apprentice gets hurt on a job, there’s an old saying that the trade is entering his body,’ (upon reflection, he may have said this during a reading of his new book of essays, The Nearest Thing to Life, at the Politics and Prose Bookstore in Washington, D.C.), which reminded me of Leo Tolstoy’s comment about writing his novels in his own blood, as illustrated by the oft-quoted line from his famous novel Anna Karenina:  “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
In effect, we pay for the gnostic wisdom of our life’s path, which I can vouchsafe with the blood  that I spilled learning my own trade of painting and drywall taping (my vocation, which cost me plenty of spilled blood as I learned my trade with no-one to guide me) and the craft of writing  (I’m still bleeding from the blood I spilled with my first novel, What Would I Say Today If I Were to Die Tomorrow? that so upset my hometown that Penny and I had to relocate to Georgian Bay for peace of mind); but as I listened to James Wood talking about literature, which for an articulate atheist like himself was the closest thing to religion, I got the same feeling that I got listening to the iconic literary critic professor Harold Bloom that literature was not enough to satisfy the longing in our soul for wholeness and completeness, and an old quandary popped into my mind— the existential dilemma of modern life.
I cannot for the life of me get a read on social media, especially the daily posts on my Facebook feed that desperately cry out for attention like an Andy Warhol painting, as if the more “Likes” one gets on their posts the more relevant they will be to the cosmic scheme of things, and I cannot fathom whether society is overwhelmed with too much existential reality or too little, and I keep asking myself: are we drowning in the deep end of the pool, or the shallow? Has our life become a reality show for social media, an endless quotidian stream of daily living like the Norwegian writer Karl Ove Knausgaard’s “hypnotically spellbinding” (James Wood’s words) six volume autobiographical novel My Struggle?
I cannot tell, and I have to explore my quandary in today’s spiritual musing. But in all humility, I don’t know where to begin, and I have to call upon my muse to assist me…

I woke up this morning with a spiritually fatiguing issue on my mind, the archaic mediaeval face-covering niqab and burqa apparel that a minority of Muslim women here insist on wearing for “religious reasons,” a politically sensitive issue that has polarized the people of Quebec, and I cannot help but feel that this is my entry into my spiritual musing that I could not resolve yesterday; but what does it mean?
I’ve already written a spiritual musing on this issue (“A Tempest in a Teapot,” which I’ve included in my  book The Armchair Guru), and I could quote it here to make my point about our journey through life much easier; but I feel I have to explore my quandary from another angle for a greater understanding, and the only way to do this would be to revisit my feelings on the dilemma of the irreconcilable outer and inner journey of our life, the conflicted nature of our  existential outer self and our essential inner self.
What I’m getting from social media is an endless stream of information on the outer journey of contemporary life, that aspect of society’s preoccupation with the existential dimension of reality—politics (sexual harassment is the hot topic of the day that has exploded in the #MeToo movement), personal relationships, nostalgic memorabilia, always new selfies and endless recipes and health tips and cartoonish re-posts and other trivia, what in his creative genius the prodigious writer of his own contemporary world John Updike would have called “lower gossip,” leaving one with the strongest impression that this fleeting life is all we have and we’d better make the most of it, and dread possesses everyone.
Life has sped up with digital technology, and whatever happens out there is instantly vented (and vetted) on social media, giving one the nauseous feeling that “the world is too much with us,” as Wordsworth wrote in his eponymous poem while in the throes of the First Industrial Revolution two hundred years ago—another vicious terrorist attack and raging forest fires and more senseless shootings and freakish storms and floods and consequent social upheavals that will take years to recover from, blaming religious zealotry, climate change, and recalcitrant karmic obtuseness; every day a new catastrophe, the world going to hell much more quickly than anyone expected, and we grasp at life a little tighter as writers like Karl Ove Knausgaard vainly try to make sense of the human condition, the outer becoming the inner and the inner the outer, a never-ending enantiodromia of self-individuation teleologically driven to personal wholeness and completeness but never quite getting there.
After listening to James Wood on Bookworm (who helped launch Knausgard’s career in America with his optimistic review of the first volume of My Struggle), engaging in his erudition but no less disappointing than the great professor Bloom’s sublime nihilism, I listened to Silverblatt talking in another podcast with the new literary genius of Infinite Jest and messianic hope for literature before Knausgaard came along with his six volumes of My Struggle, David Foster Wallace, who also could not find a way to reconcile his outer and inner journey and was driven to suicide at the age of 46 to end the pain of his existential dilemma and crippling depression, I shook my head and said, in Gurdjieffian jest, “It’s all a pouring from the empty into the void,” and I went off Facebook for a month or so to give myself a break.

———

And that’s what has made Jordan Peterson “the most influential public intellectual in the Western world today” (The New York Times), because his hierophantic message is not a pouring from the empty into the void; it’s a pouring of the Logos of his own gnostic wisdom into the spiritual vacuum of today’s crazy world of postmodern nihilism and identity politics and political correctness gone loony that religion, science, and politics cannot resolve, which is why hundreds of people (predominantly young men) have gone up to him after each of his 100-city book tour lectures to thank him for helping them get their life together—proof positive of the redemptive message of the hierophantic imperative of his 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos.
Professor Peterson told Joe Rogan that he never gave the same lecture twice on his global book tour, but that’s not quite true; he always gives the same hierophantic message but packaged in a new and refreshing format, always allowing for the free flow of the Logos that speaks to the needs of his respective audiences, because he has the gift of being open to the Logos. Which is why he never gets tired of delivering his message to a world that is hungry to hear what he has to say (he himself can’t wait to see what’s going to come out him with each new talk); but just what is his hierophantic message? Can it be reduced to a single sentence, a single phrase, or word?
Isn’t this why I was called by the omniscient guiding principle of life to write One Rule to Live By: Be Good? Isn’t this what professor Jordan Peterson’s message boils down to, just being a good person? And isn’t his book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos simply a pathway to being a good person? Isn’t this the divine imperative of his hierophantic message?
If there’s one thing that I have learned in my unbelievable quest for my true self, it’s the simple truth that a personal pathway (path + way = pathway) is both a process and a destination, and one has to forge their own way to their true self, which 12 Rules for Life helps one do; because, in the words of my hero Socrates, 12 Rules for Life : An Antidote to Chaos gets one into “the habit of soul gathering and collecting herself into herself,” and the more one “gathers and collects” their soul (which  is trapped in the ego/shadow consciousness of their personality), the more their true self they will be—true to the Mathew Principle, much gathers more.
This is why the core tenet of Peterson’s message contends that taking responsibility (both moral and practical) for one’s life fills the spiritual vacuum of their life and gives one meaning and purpose; and it doesn’t matter how the good professor dresses this up in his lectures and interviews, it’s always the same redemptive message of self-reconciliation, as he iterated yet again to a group of young men in London, England who got their life together by taking up the sport of boxing.
“Of all the things I’ve been talking to people about,” said professor Peterson to the tightly knit boxing club community, “probably the most useful to help people understand that you need a meaning in your life to buttress the tragedy and the malevolence and betrayal, and that you find that fundamentally in the adoption of responsibility…”
And this is the appeal of professor Jordan Peterson’s message; it’s always the same, but it speaks to each person’s individual need for wholeness and completeness. One of his 12 rules for life will speak to one person more than the other rules, but the more one “gathers and collects” oneself into oneself, the more they will resonate with the other rules, which in the end makes one a good person whose only guiding principle will be their own conscience and free will, which brings to mind something that my oracle revealed to me when I fled from my comfortable life in my hometown of Nipigon, in Northwestern Ontario to set my feet upon my own path to my true self.
I was twenty-three years old and living in Annecy, France. I was so culturally shocked and unbearably distraught that I went for a walk one afternoon to think things through; and I came back from my snowing and freezing walk feeling so lost and lonely that I did not know what to do. With a sad and heavy heart, I sat at my desk and picked up my pen and the following words came to me, which became my guiding light in my unbearably lonely quest for my true self:

“Steadfast and courageous is he, who having overcome woe and grief remains alone and undaunted. Alone I say, for to be otherwise would hardly seem possible, for one must bear one’s conscience alone. He must fight the battle and he must win the battle, odds or no odds. He must win to establish the equilibrial tranquility of body and soul, and sooner or later he will erupt as a volcano of unlimited confidence which will purpose his life hereafter; and having given birth to such magnificence, he will no longer be alone alone, but alone in society, and he will see the mirror of his puerile grief in the eyes of his fellow man.”

            I had no idea where those words came from (the word “equilibrial” isn’t even in the dictionary, but it’s the right adjective, or mot juste to be pedantic), but so fraught with meaning were these words that they gave me the inspiration I needed to continue my quest for my true self; and upon reflection today, I can see that those words were bursting with the squaring of the circle mandala that appeared to me in my bedroom one night while studying philosophy at Lakehead University three years after my creative unconscious gave those words to me to encourage me to set my soul free from the prison of my own ego/shadow personality. And now, half a century later, from the enlightened perspective of my true self, I know that those sacred words came from my higher self, which I acknowledge to be the Logos, my muse, my oracle, and the omniscient guiding principle of life; and, at the risk of being more personal than I have ever been in all the books that I have written, I have just been summoned by my oracle to bring One Rule to Live By: Be Good to closure with the most sacred experience of my entire life, my call to the final surrender…

No comments:

Post a Comment