Saturday, July 20, 2019

Poem for the week: "The Housefly"



The Housefly

Washing out the coffee pot this
morning, I woke up a big black
housefly and it buzzed frantically
 at the kitchen window looking
for a way out. I put the coffee pot
down and picked up my dishcloth
and frantically tried to capture it;
but the big black noisy housefly
was too fast for me. Yet I persisted,
and almost caught it. Then it flew
under the window blinds and I could
not get to it; but so frantic was the
fly that it buzzed into a lower corner
of the window and I trapped it under
my damp dishcloth— “Gotcha!”
for a fleeting moment my heart went
out to the poor creature, and I thought
of taking it outdoors and setting it free;
but that was much too inconvenient,
and I flushed it down the sink. Now
I’m so full of guilt for going against
my better nature that I don’t know
how to make up for it; and I can’t help
but feel that it was providentially
designed for that big black housefly
that’s floating around in our stinky
septic tank to be at our kitchen
window this morning just to
remind me how highly
evolved I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment