Saturday, August 10, 2019

Poem for the week: "That's Poetry"


That’s Poetry

I picked up Keats this morning,
        and then Shelley, but I wasn’t in the mood
for either; and I picked up Immortal Poems
       of the English Language, but I decided to
make coffee instead; and as I waited for
       my coffee I browsed through a word book:
30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary—
        the more words we have, the better we can
express ourselves, indispensable for a poet;
       but my heart wasn’t in it. I poured my coffee
and took a sip and pondered my situation:
       words, words, and more words. Knowledge,
knowledge, and more knowledge, and “to the
       making of many books there is no end and
much study is a weariness of the flesh” said the
       Preacher in Ecclesiastes, and we’re back to
where we started. I opened my book on the
       immortal poems and read Shelly’s Ozymandias
to give clarity to my feelings: it’s not how
       many words we know, it’s how we put
them together. That’s poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment