Saturday, November 6, 2021

New poem: "Shadow of My Past Life"

 

 

Shadow of My Past Life

 

I would never have seen the shadow

of my past life had she not told me,

the change in my personality because

of my grey whiskers. “I want you

to shave tomorrow,” she said to me.

“You’re not yourself when you’re

like this. You’re grumpy and miserable.”

It puzzled me, not seeing the causal

connection of my long grey whiskers

and disposition, and I stared at my love

in confusion. But knowing how keen

her to be in her innocence of sight,

I looked at myself in the mirror and saw

that she was right. The person that I

saw was a stranger to me, an old self

from a past life who struggled in vain

to be me; so, I shaved my grey whiskers

in the morning, and my happy new

self stared back at me.


No comments:

Post a Comment