Saturday, December 9, 2023

New poem: "The Train Station of Life"

 

The Train Station of Life

 

We had coffee again. He was standing

on the station platform waiting for his train.

I had come and gone two, three, a hundred

times since our last cup of coffee, but he was

still standing there waiting for his train. He

talked of fixing his fence again, but his mind

was torn between cedar posts or pressure

treated lumber. “If I go and cut cedar posts

they’ll be good for the rest of my life; but

that’s a lot of work, and I don’t have a truck.

On the other hand, treated lumber costs an

arm and a leg, and I can’t afford that right

now. My train pulled up and I got on,

leaving him standing there again.

 

Composed in Nipigon, Ontario

Date unknown: 1990-2000

No comments:

Post a Comment