Saturday, August 26, 2017

New Spiritual Musing: "Being the Tao"


Being the Tao

Inspired by the movie The Intern

The idea for today’s spiritual musing presupposes so much that I don’t know if I can do it justice; but I have to try, or why else would I have been called to write it?
Upon reflection, I can see now how the idea came about; but it wasn’t until I heard Jules (Anne Hathaway) say to her new intern Ben (Robert De Niro) in Nancy Meyers movie The Intern “How is it that you always manage to say the right thing, do the right thing, and be the right thing?” that the words “BEING THE TAO” popped into my mind, because unconsciously I had picked up that Jules Ostin’s intern Ben Whittaker was in the Tao; and that’s the subject of today’s spiritual musing...

In Chinese, Tao means the way, and the teaching of Taoism is all about living the way; but here’s where we run into a problem because, as I wrote in my spiritual musing “An Old Chinese Proverb,” defining the Tao is next to impossible. But because I know what the Tao is, I have to try; and I know what the Tao is because I was initiated into the sacred mystery of the way on my own journey to wholeness and completeness. That’s why I said that this idea of BEING THE TAO presupposes so much that I may not be able to do it justice. However, it behooves me to offer my personal definition of the way, which has been drawn from my life of living the way consciously from the moment I awakened to the way: the way is the inherent wisdom of the teleological imperative of life; and living one’s life with purpose is living the imperative of the way, which initiates one into the sacred mystery of one's true self and the Tao. In short, the way is the self-reconciling factor of life
But why did the phrase BEING THE TAO pop into my mind and not BEING IN THE TAO, which would seem to make more sense? This, I believe, is the central mystery of the way that I’ve been called upon to explore in today’s spiritual musing.
I’ve learned to have implicit trust in my Muse (my creative unconscious), so I know that I’ve been called to elucidate upon the difference between BEING THE TAO and BEING IN THE TAO; and this difference speaks to the journey and the destination, because to be the Tao one must become the Tao, and that’s what living the way is all about.
For clarity’s sake, I’m going to simple refer to the Tao as the way, because my sidebar Merriam Webster dictionary defines way as: a thoroughfare for travel or transportation from place to place; the course traveled from one place to another: route; a course (a series of actions or sequences of events leading in a direction or toward an objective, which implies that the way is a process that leads to a destination; but what destination?
That’s the sacred mystery of the way, because the way leads to itself; that’s why my Muse popped the words BEING THE TAO into my mind instead of BEING IN THE TAO, because Jules Ostin’s new intern Ben Whittaker was his own Tao, or way. And I knew this instinctively, because I too had become my own way in my self-initiation into the sacred mystery; and being his own way, Ben Whittaker was BEING THE TAO.
This sounds like esoteric gobbledygook, but all it means is that seventy-year old intern Ben Whittaker was his own man; that’s why his young boss Jules Ostin, founding owner of the hugely successful e-commerce business called “About the Fit,” called him “cool.” Ben Whittaker played the game of life, but by his own rules; that’s what made him cool.
In my spiritual musing “The Essence of Cool,” I quote David Brooks (columnist for the New York Times and author of The Road to Character): “The cool person is stoical, emotionally controlled, never eager or needy, but instead mysterious, detached and self-possessed. The cool person is gracefully competent at something, but doesn’t need the world’s applause to know his worth. That’s because the cool person has found his or her own unique and authentic way of living with nonchalant intensity.”
 That’s Ben Whittaker to a tee, a self-possessed septuagenarian widower with a moral center; well-seasoned, balanced, and sensitive enough to care about people who come into his life. “The cool person,” said David Brooks, “is guided by his or her own autonomous values, often on the outskirts of society,” which was what fascinated me about the easy-going Ben Whittaker in Nancy Meyers deceptively simple, feel-good comedy The Intern.
The morning after Penny and I watched The Intern on Neflix, I went online to read the reviews; and it didn’t surprise me that every review missed the core message of the feel-good comedy which Ben Whittaker personified with natural charm and aplomb, the edifying principles of Tai Chi which are founded on Taoism, the way to wholeness and completeness; that’s what led me to see Nancy Meyers, the writer-director of The Intern, as the female Woody Allen of movie-making sans Allen’s moral vacuity, which was why Meyers had The Intern open with a scene of Ben Whittaker doing Tai Chi exercises in an open park with a group of seniors, and why she brought The Intern to graceful closure with another scene of Ben Whittaker doing his Tai Chi exercises, but this time with his young boss Jules Ostin joining him, thus implying that she was embracing the edifying philosophy of Taoism.
The premise of today’s spiritual musing rests upon my perception that the seventy-year-old widower intern personified the principles of Tai Chi, and my response would be that the script writer-director Nancy Meyers succeeded; otherwise my creative unconscious would not have picked it up and inspired me with the words BEING THE TAO when Jules, albeit inebriated, said to her intern Ben Whittaker: “How is it that you always manage to say the right thing, do the right thing, and be the right thing?” Which is nothing more, or less, than BEING THE TAO.


———

No comments:

Post a Comment