Saturday, November 25, 2017

Work-in-progress: THE GNOSTIC WAY OF LIFE, Chapter 28: “Moments of Grace.”

Moments of Grace

In his book Soul Moments, Phil Cousineau writes that “an experience of synchronicity is a soul moment, an electrifying experience, as sudden as a visitation by a god, a palpable inrush of grace and power, one of the defining moments in life, a sudden conviction that we might move beyond fate and realize a hint of our destiny.”
I’ve experienced many meaningful coincidences in my life, and I can attest to these same emotions, which I explored in my twin soul book The Merciful Law of Divine Synchronicity; but I’ve also experienced moments of grace when I’m in the presence of someone special, someone whose fate is closely aligned with their destiny and is more himself or herself than most people. My neighbor is such a person, and I wrote a poem to capture a moment of grace that I experienced with him one day last spring:

Lunch with a Friend

I stopped in just to say hello to my friend
and neighbor who had come up from Toronto
to his cozy cottage in Georgian Bay that he
had built with his own hands. Born in Calabria
where I came from with my family when I
was five, Tony and I made wine together last
summer and shared it over the winter and
spring, and we’ll be making wine again in
the new season, and when I dropped in from
my bike ride he was roasting some lamb on
his barbeque, along with mushrooms and
red peppers, and he invited me to lunch with
him and Maria whose husband died of cancer
a few years ago. My friend’s wife dropped
dead of a heart attack while building the cottage,
and after five or six years of a bad relationship
with a Sicilian widow who couldn’t control her
drinking, he met Maria at a wedding reception
for a mutual Italian acquaintance, and now
they live together for companionship as many
widows often do, which took their children
time to get used to; and with each passing year
they grow more intimate and respectful of each
other’s quirks and habits and even laugh at
them now in front of me. Lunch was a simple
feast of love of food and sharing, an Italian
custom like no other, and I had to politely stop
Maria four or five times from over-serving me,
reminding her of my mother saying to guests
at our family table, “Manga, manga.” I loved
the freshly-picked asparagus risotto with the
barbequed lamb, large-capped mushrooms,
and long red peppers, and the simple lettuce
salad with salt and pepper and oil and vinegar
dressing, and crusty Calabrese bread just like
my mother used to make every Wednesday
morning to soak up all the juices from my plate,
and a glass of red wine to toast our lunch and
friendship; and, what I really enjoyed because
Penny and I don’t drink it at home, a tiny cup
of espresso coffee with a drop of Anisette and
a tiny spoonful of sugar, and after lunch Tony
and I sat in his garage with the door wide open
soaking up the spring sun and talking, I mostly
listening to his life story, wishing that my father
had been as adaptive and resourceful, and I
couldn’t have asked for a nicer neighbor in
our new home in Georgian Bay.

Life is for living, which my neighbor did in full, always doing something to keep himself busy; that’s how he grew in his own identity, forever initiating the natural process of self-individuation by doing, doing, and more doing. That’s why he loves his cottage.
If he wasn’t in his garage working on something (he loves to collect things by the side of the road that cottagers put out, old barbeques, lawnmowers, snow blowers, tables, cabinets, whatever and clean them up and fix them if they were fixable), or tending to his garden, mowing the lawn (for years he mowed the lawn for two or three cottagers), or building (closing in his back deck, putting in a washroom in his basement, shingling his shed, helping his children renovate their homes and doing little jobs for friends, myself included, always finding something to work on), foraging mushrooms every fall, making tomato sauce with Maria in August, and wine in September, always doing, doing, doing.
And in doing, Tony grew in gnostic wisdom. That’s why he loved to quote proverbs and sayings (all Italian), which astounded me for their relevance, telling me that he had lived through the experience and confirmed the proverb or saying that he quoted. Hardly ever did we have a conversation that he did not quote an old Italian proverb or saying, and I marvelled at his gnostic wisdom. That’s why I loved talking with him, and why one day this summer when I saw him in his garage working on something I dropped in to say hello.
I had just finished my morning writing and was out for a bike ride when I dropped in, but after fifteen minutes of talking I attempted to leave several times but he kept on talking, and I willing gave in and said, “Tony, why don’t we ask Maria to make us a cup of coffee?”
His face lit up and we went into the house for one of those tiny Italian cups of espresso, which I love with Anisette, but Maria was preparing lunch and they invited me to join them, which I did for Tony’s sake but did not partake because I had already eaten.
Maria of course insisted, but I lied and told her that I had scrambled a couple of eggs with ricotta cheese and was full (actually, I only had toast and peanut butter) because I didn’t want to give them the impression I had conveniently dropped in for something to eat; but just in case I changed my mind, Maria put a plate in front of me, and Tony poured us a glass of wine and we talked, again me mostly listening because Tony needed my company, and at some point, while Tony was flavoring his pasta dish with just the right amount of salt, ground chili, and Reggiano Parmigiano), I felt a quiet and unexpected moment of miraculous grace, and tears came to my eyes, and I listened to Tony tell me the story of when he first came to Canada and was working out of town and he and two fellow workers went to a restaurant for dinner and he refused to eat his pasta dish because it was overcooked, but one of his fellow workers explained to the waitress that he was too polite to tell her that it was overcooked and she took his plate and brought him a new plate of fresh pasta to Tony’s liking, and then—gosh, I wish I could remember it, he quoted another Italian saying that captured the gnostic wisdom of his experience, and I was blessed with another infusion of grace and more tears came to my eyes, and then we had a tiny cup of espresso (Tony liked his straight, with no sugar or Anisette), and when I felt that he was sufficiently sated, I excused myself and continued with my bike ride; but my blessed moment of grace lingered all day…


How does one explain these blessed moments? What do they mean? I’ve experienced many such moments of grace, especially with children who are full of joy and innocence, and the more I thought about it the more I saw that infusions of grace are the fruit of our individual gnostic way, which unbeknown to us will open us up to the creative life force that nourishes our soul to grow in its divine nature. That’s how life satisfies the longing in our soul for wholeness and completeness, and it’s all commensurate with the values that we live by, of which I have found the virtue of goodness to be the most rewarding; but again, moments of grace are a mystery which have to be experienced to be appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment