Saturday, December 2, 2017

THE GNOSTIC WAY OF LIFE: Chapter 29: "A Slice of Heaven"

A Slice of Heaven

It doesn’t matter how old they are, he calls everyone “kid.” He’s eighty-five, but I met him fourteen years ago when Penny and I relocated to Georgian Bay and I dropped into Johnson’s Market on the outskirts of Midland where I met the owner, “Chicken Coop Johnson.” That’s what they called him when he played hockey for the North Shore Hockey League (which comprised of four towns on the north shore of Lake Superior, my hometown of Nipigon, Red Rock, Terrace Bay, and Marathon); and Jimmy, as I preferred to call him, played for the Marathon Mercuries. It was a curious coincidence meeting him.
One day when I was in Johnson’s Market, I noticed a picture of a hockey team on one of his back shelves and saw that it was the Marathon Mercuries, and I asked why he had that picture on his shelf. “I used to play for the Mercuries,” he replied.
“No kidding? Which one are you?” I asked, and he pointed himself out in the picture, and then it hit me—
“I remember you!” I said, excitedly. “You were a feisty little bastard! You were always getting into fights,” and a big smile came over his impish face; and that’s how we became—not friends, but good acquaintances; and I dropped into his vegetable and fruit market just to say hello because I loved the man for being the person that he was; besides, I loved his freshly picked yellow beans and sweet corn, and I always got my field tomatoes from him.
Jimmy was not a big man, which made me wonder how he could be so feisty on the ice; but he never backed down from anybody. That was his character. And every time I dropped in, we talked a little more; and he told me about himself, how his grandfather had started the market garden business which his father took over and passed on to him, and every summer he’d drive his truck full of produce to Marathon for one or two long days of selling and also to the Sault where he sold his produce, and he had been doing that for years and couldn’t see himself retiring. “What else am I going to do?” he said.
“Why not?” I said. “As long as you enjoy what you’re doing.”
“I’ve been doing this all my life, and I like it. I like meeting people.”
“So do I. I’ll bet you met some real characters here, haven’t you?”
“Sure have,” Jimmy said, with an impish smile. I loved that smile. It told me he was still the mischief maker that I saw years ago on the ice when he played for the Marathon Mercuries. “You never know what kind of people you’re going to meet, and that’s the fun of it,” he said. “I can’t see myself doing anything else.”
“Die with your boots on, Jimmy; that’s the only way to go,” I said, and we talked about his family and other things and got to know each other as well as could be expected in such short visits; and the more we talked, the more I loved him for his spunk.
Then Penny and I dropped in one day and I asked her to take a photo with her cell phone of Jimmy and me with him holding his hockey team picture, and we had it blown up and framed at Walmart and I gave it to Jimmy the next time I dropped in, and he gave me a sweet smile and proudly placed it beside his hockey team picture.
That’s how it went for a number of years, and then I dropped in one Saturday morning and I asked the lady how Jimmy was doing and was surprised to learn that he had been in the hospital for heart surgery. “No kidding?” I said. “What happened?”
“He was having trouble breathing.,” the lady replied. She was an elderly woman who worked for Jimmy for years and always filled in when he was away. Jimmy also had several Mexicans who came up every summer to do his picking, and he must have been good to them because one had been coming up from Mexico for over twenty-five years.
“Did he have by-pass surgery?” I asked.
“Yeah,” the lady said. “But he’s out now and doing okay. He wanted to come to work today, but I told him to forget it.”
          But the following weekend he was back and we had a lot to talk about because now we had something in common. I had open-heart surgery also, and we shared our experience like old veterans sitting in the Legion hall. It would have been nice to share our experience over a cold beer or a cup of Tim Hortons coffee, which I would gladly have picked up just up the road in Midland, but Jimmy told me he did not drink coffee or tea, never did his whole life.
“No kidding?” I said. “Your whole life you never drank coffee or tea?”’
“Nope. Never did, kid.”
“What do you drink then. A beer now and then?”
“I like beer, but I don’t drink it much. I drink vegetable cocktail. I like that. And milk. I grew up on milk. I always have milk here and two or three jugs of vegetable cocktail. That’s good for you. You ever drink it?”
“Yes. I always pick four or five Mott’s Garden Cocktail when it goes on sale.”
“Me too,” Jimmy said, and this led into food and Jimmy gave me a list of the kinds of foods he liked to eat, and his cuisine was simple but hearty just like Jimmy. And as we talked he would greet people coming in with, “How you doing kid?”
What I loved about Jimmy was his authenticity. He was what he was and didn’t pretend to be anything else, like my cottage neighbor Tony, and I absorbed his gnostic wisdom like I absorbed Tony’s; like the time he was telling me about a new supermarket going in at Marathon which he felt was going to cut into his produce sales.
“I don’t think it will, Jimmy. You’ve been going up there for years. You must have your loyal customers.”
“Don’t mean a damn thing. They’ll leave you for a quarter,” Jimmy said.
“You’re right. I should have known better. If there’s one thing you can be certain about life, it’s that people will always disappoint you,” I said, with a wry snicker.
“You got that right, kid,” Jimmy said, dead serious; and the next time I saw Jimmy he had already made two trips up to Marathon, but on his last trip he fell ill and had to be taken to the hospital, which really got his dander up. “I almost lost my driver’s licence,” he said, still angry over the whole incident. “I had to get a medical report to prove there was nothing wrong with me, and I had to go for a driver’s test.”
What happened was simple enough, but it got complicated. He hadn’t eaten all day, he was so busy selling his produce, and when he went to the restaurant that evening he fainted and someone called for an ambulance and the paramedics took him to the hospital. The doctor wanted to keep him overnight and didn’t want to him drive his truck, but he did.
“There’s was nothing wrong with me,” Jimmy said. “I think it was something I ate. I think I got food poisoning. I got a bit sick in my stomach and fainted, and some guy called 911. I wish he would’ve minded his own business. I almost lost my licence because of that.”
But he’s back on his feet now, and he made another one or two trips up to Marathon and the Sault; but the last time I dropped in I experienced another one of those miraculous moments of grace that lingered for days, if not weeks.
It was innocent enough, and totally unexpected. In fact, I only vaguely remember what we were talking about; but for some reason, Jimmy opened up to me like never before, and I leaned on his counter and just listened to him tell me his story.
Jimmy had an old chair that he sat on near a propane heater, which was turned on because it was fall and a bit cool, and he’d get up and serve his customers, greeting them as they came in the door with his customary “How you doing, kid,” but continued with his story (he was telling me about his daughter and son and grandchildren), sounding almost like a summation of his long life, like his own eulogy, and as he spoke I could feel the goodness of the man flowing out of him, and I couldn’t hold back my emotions and welled up with tears.
Jimmy talked for another few minutes, and when he brought his story to resolution I said to him, “You’re quite the man, Jimmy. I love talking with you.” And I picked up my two bags of produce and extended my hand for Jimmy to shake.
“It’s been a slice of heaven, son,” he said, with a warm smile and a look in his watery little blue eyes that brought more tears to mine; and on my drive home I couldn’t get over the effect my visit with Jimmy had upon me.
“It’s been a slice of heaven,” I repeated to myself. “Now, that’s grace!” I exclaimed, and broke into a burst of joyful laughter.










No comments:

Post a Comment