Saturday, December 23, 2017

New Spiritual Musing: "A Room of My Own"


A Room of My Own

I’ve been meaning to write a spiritual musing on my writing room for years, but the idea never possessed me until I read Lindall Gordon’s biography, Virginia Woolf, A Writer’s Life, while I was in the middle of painting my writing room this summer; and, of course, the idea was set free by Virginia Woolf’s Victorian convention-breaking comment that sparked a fire in the soul of women everywhere and set the stage for the modern feminist movement, and which became the theme of her iconoclastic little book A Room of One’s Own: “A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.”
That would apply to any writer, and if they have the money to be free to write all the more power to them; but life doesn’t work like that. Ask Alice Munro, who had to squeeze her writing time between household chores (she was married with two small children); but she persevered and wrote and wrote and wrote, and at the respectable age of 82 was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2013 for her “mastery of the contemporary short story.”
Which suggests much more than having a room of one’s own to write in, and the money to be free to write one’s fiction; it suggests that a writer will write no matter what the circumstances, because if they do not write they will feel they have betrayed themselves, something that my high school hero and literary mentor Ernest “Papa” Hemingway explored in his famous short story “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” and which haunted me most of my life also because my call to creative writing was superseded by my call to find my true self, and only when I had satisfied the longing in my soul for wholeness and completeness was I free to devote more time to creative writing, which brings me to my writing room in the house that Penny and I built in beautiful Georgian Bay, Southcentral Ontario…

I’ve always wanted a room of my own to write in, and I went out of my way three  times to  build a room of my own; the first time when I built an addition onto my parents home in Nipigon, Northwestern Ontario when I opted to stay at home for my mother’s sake after I left university to start my own contract painting business, and for the next fourteen years I stayed at home in my attached but separate apartment unit and worked my trade and read and wrote until my father died; and the second time I built a room of my own was in the triplex that I built in Nipigon by converting the loft of the top apartment unit of our triplex into my writing room where I wrote every morning for fourteen years until Penny and I built our new home in Tiny Beaches, Georgian Bay (on a street called Stocco Circle, no less) in which I converted the empty space above our double garage into my writing room but which I never got to finish painting until this summer, fourteen years after our house was built.
So, a room of my own to write in was precious to me, despite the fact that my writing room was my sanctuary and haven of safety in my quest for my true self which began in high school when Somerset Maugham’s novel The Razor’s Edge struck me with the immortal wound that called me to become a spiritual seeker like Maugham’s hero Larry Darrell; and I did most of my seeking through reading in the privacy of my writing room until I found my lost soul that I had come into this world to find and which I wrote about in my memoirs The Summoning of Noman and The Pearl of Great Price. And after I found myself and wrote all the books that my quest called me to write (the last being my twin soul books, Death, the Final Frontier and The Merciful Law of Divine Synchronicity), I was finally free to do justice to creative writing that I was called to in high school by the writer who became my literary mentor, Ernest “Papa” Hemingway who, ironically, I’ve just finished writing about again in My Writing Life, which was inspired by the gift of an Indigo Hemingway Notebook that I got from Penny’s sister last Christmas and which creatively morphed into a sequel to my literary memoir The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway that I wrote three years ago.
Not that I didn’t write creatively all these many years (my novel Tea with Grace is still my favorite of all my inspired fiction writing), I simply could not devote all of my precious time and energy to creative writing (which, as any writer knows, demands one’s full attention to do aesthetic justice to writing poetry, short stories, and novels); I had to work my trade to make a living first and foremost, and I had to also heed the call to write the books that my quest for my true self demanded of me, which to date numbers fifteen and counting.
But now that I’ve finally told the story of how I found my true self, I am free to write all the poetry and short stories and novels that I am called to write (not to mention my spiritual musings which always come to me unbeckoned, like today’s musing on a room of one’s own); and, in all honesty, I couldn’t wait to finish painting the boring primed walls of my writing room because after fourteen years it deserved to be dignified with a color best suited to the creative writer in me, a colour that my life partner Penny Lynn chose—HOPEFUL BLUE.
          And why did Penny choose this colour, other than the fact that we both loved it? As she said to me, without a trace of irony: “I just hope it gets on the walls, that’s all.”
          I just love her sense of humor!

———

No comments:

Post a Comment