Saturday, January 6, 2018

New Spiritual Musing: "The Eyes Behind Her Eyes"

The Eyes Behind Her Eyes

“The poet is the seer,
the poem is the act of appropriation.”
—Joyce Carol Oates.

          I knew I was being called to write a poem as I watched an online interview with Iris Murdoch on the program Modern Philosophy, hosted by the erudite and eloquent professor of philosophy and author Bryan Magee, the topic being “Philosophy and Literature,” but I wasn’t called by what the Oxford philosophy tutor and novelist Iris Murdoch had to say about philosophy and literature, but by the beguiling look of her eyes, a look I have seen often in deeply shadow-afflicted people, but never as pronounced as it was in Iris Murdoch’s wary blue eyes that inspired my poem “The Eyes Behind Her Eyes” that I’ve been summoned by my Muse  to expand upon in today’s spiritual musing


She had four eyes, two eyes
to look, and two eyes to see,
and she could not tell which
eyes were which.

Oxford Professor, writer, wife,
and childless by choice, a fluid
woman like no other, and the
breach of her eyes grew wider.

Tutoring young Oxfordian
minds by day, she stalked the
corridors of culture by night
to appease her hunger.

Danger abounded as she looked
for what she could not see,
and the harder she looked, the
more the danger grew.

Novel after novel, essay after
philosophical essay, but the
breach grew wider and wider
as her mind grew darker, —

And she died of Alzheimer’s.

The magic of poetry is its power to see into the mystery of life, and I had no idea what my poem was trying to tell me; all I knew was that the first two lines of the poem came to me unbidden and I had to work out the rest, which I did. And I went online and did some research on Iris Murdoch’s life, and then I did some thoughtful editing and rewriting; but this did not alter the essential insight of my poem which had to do with giving visual clarity to the Jungian concept of the shadow that I saw in Iris Murdoch’s eyes, it only enhanced the poetic imagery. This is how the cognitive mind works with the writer’s creative unconscious.
Actually, the first two lines of my poem were not what they turned out to be in the finished poem; the first two lines that came to me went like this: “She had four eyes, /two up front, and two in the back.” This is how my Muse captured Iris Murdoch’s shadow, which was so obvious to me that I could see her shadow as another persona with its own mind and emotions and distinct identity, hence the four eyes; and when the first lines of a poem come to me, I have to unpack them to see what my Muse is trying to tell me. Nonetheless, I had to change the first two lines, because they created the wrong impression of having a set of eyes at the back of her head instead of having eyes within her eyes which was more accurate.
This is what writers mean when they say they write to seek out the truth of life. As I came to realize after many years of writing, our creative unconscious is infinitely wiser than our cognitive mind, but the cognitive mind has to do the work, and when the first lines of a poem come unbidden (sometimes, though rarely for me, a whole poem comes to me unbidden), I have no choice but to explore the given lines with thoughtful reflection, because if I don’t I jeopardize my gift for writing poetry; which only means, really, that I’d have to work a lot harder to pry out of my unconscious the glimmer of an insight.
But not with my poem “The Eyes Behind Her Eyes.” This poem was easy to write once I had the first two lines, because those lines told me everything I needed to say about the shadow self that I saw in Iris Murdoch’s eyes. Which isn’t to say that I was specifically given a poetic imperative to explore Iris Murdoch’s shadow self, which I did anyway by going online to research her life, but because the creative imperative of this poem was to introduce the idea that the shadow can be seen in a person’s eyes, and I had never seen the shadow as distinctly as I did in Iris Murdoch’s eyes. That’s why I had to write this poem.
So, how did I know that she had such a distinct shadow self? What made it stand out for me? What was its most distinguishing feature? What gave her shadow away?
This is almost impossible to answer, but I will try; and the best way to resolve this mystery would be to provide a context that will allow for the shadow to be seen in a person’s eyes, a context that took me years to work out and which I creatively explored in my literary memoir The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway and its sequel, My Writing Life: Reflections on My High School Hero and Literary Mentor Ernest “Papa” Hemingway.
In effect, then; like a mystery writer who knows the solution to his mystery before writing his novel, I will resort to the old saying that you can always tell a tree by its fruit. Let me say up front then, with all the gnostic certainty of personal experience and all the reading and writing and years of stalking the elusive shadow (my own primarily), one’s shadow is the unconscious persona of one’s most private, most selfish nature; and it follows that the more selfish and self-centered a person is, the more shadow-afflicted one will be, This is what inspired The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway and its sequel three years later, and what gave Iris Murdoch’s shadow away in her conversation with Bryan Magee.
Blind selfishness is the essential nature of our shadow self, and all of its consequent behavior (the most bitter fruits of the shadow tree are insensitivity, arrogance, and self-deception), which I immediately saw in Iris Murdoch’s eyes that set free the first two lines of my poem; so, I wrote my poem while I was in the grips of my inspiration and then went online to research her life so I could flesh in my poem with personal details that would confirm and add to the clarity of my intuition, like the detail that Iris Murdoch had numerous sexual affairs before and after her marriage to the literary critic and novelist John Bayley, casual and passionate affairs with both men and women that were later confirmed by her private letters.
I learned that Iris Murdoch was “gender fluid,” as they say today, so I added the phrase “a fluid woman like no other” in my poem to reflect this identifying detail of her private life, a detail that spoke to her selfish sexual desire that she had to gratify over, and over, and over again. “Memoirs by her husband, John Bayley, and Richard Eyre’s film Iris, in particular, defined her life around the poles of her defiant insistence on following her sexual desires where they took her,” wrote Sarah Churchwell in her review of Murdoch’s novel The Sea, the Sea.  But this isn’t to judge her morals, that doesn’t concern me; all that mattered to the imperative of my poem was the selfish nature of the private self, because the more rapacious one’s shadow is, the more distinct its identity will be, and I could see Iris Murdoch’s private shadow self as distinctly as I could see her ego personality.
In my research it did not surprise me to learn that the basic themes of all her novels were “good and evil, sexual relationships, morality, and the power of the unconscious,” because the more shadow-afflicted a person is, the more morally-conflicted they will be, and Iris Murdoch was a very conflicted woman which was revealed to me by the “breach of her eyes,” the distance between of her two sets of eyes that was later confirmed by my online research into her life, both private and public. “Iris Murdoch is an odd and difficult subject. Both in artistic and personal terms, she is a one-off. She does not fit comfortably into any literary history and her life was a series of contradictions,” wrote Bryan Appleyard in his review of Iris Murdoch: A Life, by Peter Conradi.
Ironically, I have never read any of her novels or philosophical essays; but I did see the movie Iris based upon John Bayley’s first two memoirs of his wife, starring Kate Winslet as the young Iris and Dame Judi Dench as the older Iris who was ravaged and died of Alzheimer’s, a poignant portrayal of a philosopher/writer’s life who creatively explored the truth of life through her novels, as novelists tend to do; and all I wanted to do with my poem was to give the reader a glimpse into the creative process of truth-seeking through the act of writing poetry, which can be eerily revealing when inspired because there is often much more to a poem than even the author can see, and in this curious poem I caught a glimmer of an insight into the possibility that Alzheimer’s disease may be as much psychologically induced as it is biologically based, but that’s an insight far beyond today’s science; suffice to say that I wrote this poem because it came to me unbidden, and I’m happy that my poem caught the shadow out, because the shadow self is next-to-impossible to see.
Our shadow self is who we are not, the repressed unconscious and unresolved karmic energy of our ego personality, and what creates the distance between who we are not and who we are was what my Muse was trying to tell me in “The Eyes Behind Her Eyes.” 
——









No comments:

Post a Comment