Saturday, January 20, 2018

New Spiritual Musing: "The Purloined Teaching"


The Purloined Teaching

“Life is about growth and understanding.”
—Padre Pio

I didn’t want to, and still don’t, but the call to write this spiritual musing is persistent and I have to do its bidding; but I want it on record that I’m doing so under protest. So, what is so important about this imperative that I have to explore it in a spiritual musing?
I think I know, but I don’t really; because once I start a spiritual musing it takes on a life of its own, and what I want to say about a certain purloined teaching may not be what the creative spirit of my daimonic imperative has in mind; so why don’t I just go straight to the source and ask my Muse— “Why must you persist on this spiritual musing?”
“To shine a light in the darkness of this New Age teaching.”
“What am I, Diogenes?”
“In spirit, yes. To see the light, one must know the shadow; and you have been called to shed the light of clarity onto the shadow side of this teaching.”
“And how do you propose I do that?”
“Tell a story, and I’ll take it from there.”
“Fair enough…”

Shy and unassuming, he was born a Kentucky boy with a burning desire for truth, and to help satisfy the deepest longing of his soul the gods granted him the gifts of fast reading and a remarkable memory, and he read mountains and mountains of books and remembered everything that he read; and he became a prolific writer with a genius for assembling thoughts, ideas, and perceptions into a single truth that he had to share with the world.
“How?” he asked himself, knowing how short his life would be. “What did Jesus do? What did the Buddha do? What did Socrates, Lao Tzu, Shams of Tabriz, Ramakrishna and all the great spiritual teachers do?” They taught their truth and gave it to the world, and that’s what he would do; and he racked his brains for the perfect name for his truth.  
His truth was the truth of Jesus Christ, Buddha, Socrates, Lao Tzu, Shams of Tabriz, Ramakrishna and all the sacred teachings of the world that he had read and remembered and rendered with poetic genius into a single truth that he called “The Way of the Eternal,” and everyone who came to his teaching recognized the truth they saw, and they wanted more; and he gave them more with the purloined truth of imagined Masters who were the longest unbroken line of Spiritual Masters in the world, stretching into the foggy mists of antiquity and whose wisdom was unparalleled in the annals of spiritual literature.
I couldn’t believe what I read in The Far Country, which was dictated to him in private by his most completely fabricated staff-carrying Spiritual Master whose existence has never been empirically verified, a book that was imbued with instant credibility by the miraculous grace of serendipity that brought it to me in my need for a new path, granting me all the truth I needed to continue my journey of wholeness and completeness, and I devoured all I could in one sitting and could not wait to finish reading the following day, that’s how much his teaching satisfied my need to know; and I became a bona fide member of “the most direct path to God” for more than thirty years and then walked away when the archetypal shadow of this teaching could no longer hide its Janus face from me in the behavior of my fellow chelas, which became the premise of the closing chapter, “The Vanity of All Spiritual Paths,” of my novel Healing with Padre Pio that I was called to write just before walking away from this cleverly cobbled spiritual teaching called “The Way of the Eternal.”
I knew the way before I found this teaching, having found my true self by “working” on myself with “conscious effort” and “intentional suffering,” Gurdjieff’s most rewarding disciplines for giving birth to one’s soul self, and unlike the chelas of this New Age teaching I never bought into the concept of the Outer and Inner Master who guided his chelas in all of their decisions; I was Jungian in my belief, and all of my guidance came from experience and the “superior insight” of what the American Gnostic Ralph Waldo Emerson called “God within,” a concept that the clever modern-day founder of this cobbled teaching had also appropriated before transforming his teaching into a New Age religion to avoid taxes, and it pained me to see how my fellow chelas slowly forfeited their individual will to their spiritual leader who aside from being their Outer and Inner Master had also assumed the role of being their Dream Master, closing the gate of their mental prison, all the while teaching that the central tenet of this spiritual path was to become one’s own Master, an oxymoronic premise that became too much to bear, and I had to walk away from this soporific illusion.
But unlike so many chelas who had also awakened to the archetypal Shadow Master of this alluring New Age Religion of the Light and Sound of God and walked away from in bitter resentment and humiliation for having been played for a credulous fool, I have no rancor whatsoever, and I thank my lucky stars that this teaching came into my life because I was forced to see my own false shadow self in a light that I would never have seen had I not been seduced into believing in “the most direct path to God,” an elitist conceit born of a misapprehension that I could no longer suffer, and as humiliated as I was for my gullibility and self-deception, I cannot help but marvel at the genius of this purloined teaching. 

——


No comments:

Post a Comment