Saturday, February 17, 2018

New Spiritual Musing" "Why People Don't Believe in God, the Immortal Soul, or Afterlife"


Why People Don’t Believe in God,
the Immortal Soul, or Afterlife

“Tell it unveiled, the naked truth!
The declaration’s better than the secret.”
—Rumi

For years I puzzled over why some people believe in God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife and some people don’t, but in my long journey of self-discovery I finally found an answer to this bedeviling riddle; if not for the world (which would be a presumption), at least for myself. But having said this, I can’t help but be reminded of something that the philosopher Schopenhauer once said” “All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.”
It’s not without irony then that I expect what I’m about to say in today’s spiritual musing to be ridiculed first, then violently opposed, and finally (long after I have shuffled off this mortal coil, to be sure) be accepted as self-evident; but then, what’s a writer for if not to explore the imponderable mysteries of the human condition…

          From the earliest age, I never doubted in the existence of God, my immortal soul, and the afterlife; on the contrary, it was because of my inborn belief that I suffered the existential dread, anguish, and despair that I did growing up Catholic. I felt trapped and had no idea why. All I knew was that I was born with a purpose, but I had no idea what that purpose was.
And then in high school I read Somerset Maugham’s novel The Razor’s Edge and was inflicted with what Professor Harold Bloom called an “immortal wound,” a wound of wonder, and I became an inveterate truth seeker like Maugham’s hero Larry Darrell.
But that was long ago, and I’ve covered a lot of ground since I began my quest for what I came to realize was my lost soul, which, ironically, I had presciently foreseen in my poem “Noman” that I wrote that same year for my grade twelve English teacher (who found it perplexing, to say the least) but which I finally resolved many years later in my parallel life memoir The Summoning of Noman; but in my awareness that I was a lost soul whose purpose in this life was to find my true self, I solved the riddle of the human condition which I worked out in My Writing Life, a sequel to my memoir The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway.
And herein lies the mystery of why some people believe in God, the immortal soul, and afterlife and others don’t; it all has to do with where one’s “I” is centered. And by “I” I mean the reflective consciousness of one’s individuating soul self, which is the central problem of the human condition that the great writer Leo Tolstoy explored in The Death of Ivan Ilych, a problem that stems from the paradoxical consciousness of our soul self—our existential self and essential self, as the German mystic and teacher of the sacred gnostic way of life Karlfield Graf Durckeim came to describe the double consciousness of our soul self.
“We are citizens of two worlds, an “existential” one which is a conditioned reality, limited by time and space, and an “essential” one unconditioned and beyond time and space, accessible only to our inner consciousness and inaccessible to our powers,” said K. G. Durckeim in Alphonse Goettmann’s book The Path of Initiation. And he goes on to say: “Only this union of the existential self with the essential self, dealing with the whole of man, carries him to his full maturity and bears fruits, the first and most important of which is to be able to say “I am” in the full meaning of the word. From this becoming of the “I” in the full blossoming depends the relationship between man and the world, man and himself, man and Transcendence. At the beginning and at the end, at the origin and in the development of all life is found this transcendent “I am.” At the heart of all that is, man secretly senses this great “I Am” from which comes and to which returns all life. Each being is called to realize in his own way to this divine “I am” which seeks to express itself in modalities as varied and diverse as are all creatures of the universe” (The Path of Initiation, An Introduction to the Life and Thought of Karlfield Graft Durckeim, by Alphonse Goettmann, pp. 33, 36, 37).
And now comes the tricky truth; which is to say, the gnostic truth of our soul self as I have come to experience it that will be subject to ridicule and resistance before it will ever be accepted as an incontrovertible fact of the human condition: As K. G. Durckeim realized (as have many mystics, poets, and God knows who else), it would appear that we have two selves; one self, or “I” that is born of our life in the world, which makes it our ephemeral existential self, and an a priori essential and immortal self that we are born with. But what Durckeim did not express in his prescient apperception of the double self of man, was the dual consciousness of our ego/shadow existential self that I spent most of my life studying and resolving as I lived my own gnostic path of self-initiation and chronicled in The Pearl of Great Price, the story of the self-realization of my own individuated “I am” consciousness.
Without going into detail, which I’ve done already in my twin soul books Death, the Final Frontier and The Merciful Law of Divine Synchronicity, suffice to say in today’s spiritual musing that we all come into the world as sparks of divine consciousness, embryonic souls pre-destined to grow and evolve through life into fully self-realized souls, which K. G. Durckeim defined as the blessed fruit of the “I am” consciousness of God; but to bear the fruit of our own individuation process, we have to make one “I” out of our existential ego/shadow self and our essential soul self, one “I” whole and complete unto itself just as C. G. Jung realized in his own gnostic path which was confirmed by his unconscious in a dream he had several days before his death at the ripe old age of 85. In his dream he saw, high up on a high place, a boulder lit by the full sun, and carved into the illuminated boulder were the words: “Take this as a sign of the wholeness you have achieved and the singleness you have become.” This was the blessed fruit of his life, his precious pearl of great price.
As incredible as it may seem (this would be the resistance stage of my gnostic truth), I also experienced wholeness and singleness of self, which I creatively spelled out in my memoirs Gurdjieff Was Wrong But His Teaching Works and the sequel The Gnostic Way of Life; that’s how I came to solve the riddle of our paradoxical nature that bedevils everyone, especially philosophers and scientists, and it all has to do with what Jesus revealed in his cryptic teaching about making our two selves into one.
In the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas, the master was asked by someone when the kingdom would come, and Jesus replied: “When the two will be one, and the outer like the inner, and the male with the female neither male nor female.” And Thomas goes on to say, “Now the two are one when we speak truth to each other and there is one soul in two bodies with no hypocrisy” (The Unknown Sayings of Jesus, by Marvin Meyer, p. 95); which simply means, at the risk of inviting ridicule and violent resistance, that we have to reconcile the false ephemeral consciousness of our ego/shadow personality with our inner soul self, which we can only do by living by values that are inherently self-transcending, as all the great spiritual teachers of the world like Jesus, Socrates, and Rumi have revealed.
“These leaves, our bodily personalities, seem identical, /but the globe of soul fruit /we make, /each is elaborately /unique,” said Rumi, which speaks to what C. G. Jung came to call the individuation process of the archetypal self of man; and herein lies the quandary that bedevils the world about God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife…

This is going to be a hard truth to swallow, but there is no other way of saying it: our essential self is our inner, true soul self, and our existential self is our outer, false self; and  those of us who have an innate belief in God, the immortal soul, and afterlife have been born centered in our essential self, or shift our “I” to our essential self in the course of living our life; and those of us who have doubts about God, the immortal soul, and afterlife have been born centered in our ephemeral self, or shift our “I” to our ephemeral self in the course of living our life, and by ephemeral self I mean the unresolved ego/shadow consciousness of our individuating essential soul self. In effect, we only have one I, but it is bifurcated; and our destined purpose is to reconcile our false ego/shadow self with our inner, true self.
This of course presupposes a belief in reincarnation (again, subject to incredulity if not violent resistance by some quarters like Christianity), because our ephemeral self is the unresolved consciousness of all the ego/shadow personalities that we have created over the course of our reincarnational history which we bring with us in our unconscious mind with every new life that we are born into; and it’s to the nature of our ephemeral self that determines why people have doubts about God, the immortal soul, and afterlife.
But why? What is it about the consciousness of our ephemeral self that grows and evolves with the existential self of the ego/shadow personality of each new incarnation that leads one to not believe in God, the immortal soul, and afterlife? Why why why?
That was the quandary of my lost soul self that I expounded upon in The Summoning of Noman, but the short answer for today’s musing can be distilled from my experience of finding my lost soul, which should be convincing in itself but won’t be because, as Gurdjieff liked to say, “There is only self-initiation into the mysteries of life.” Nonetheless, the answer is simple enough, if totally incomprehensible to the cognitive mind; but how can one possibly believe in God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife if their ephemeral self is the I-consciousness of one’s non-being, the paradoxical self of one’s essential self?
The ephemeral self that everyone experiences in moments of despair as the unbearable sense of their own nothingness is ipso facto incapable of believing in God, the immortal soul, and afterlife because it is the false self of one’s own nothingness, and one cannot possibly believe in God, the immortal soul, and afterlife if they are centered in the consciousness of their non-being; the ontology one one’s own nothingness precludes it.
Our ephemeral self is the self of who we are not, the self of who we are yet-to-be, the unresolved non-being of our being, the consciousness of our existential self that is only conscious of its own mortality and the meaninglessness and absurdity of life that Shakespeare described as “a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing.” This is the same self that the existentialist philosopher Jean Paul Sartre gave voice to when he said, “I am what I am not, and I am not what I am.” This is why he called man “a useless passion,” because he could not resolve the enantiodromiac dynamic of soul’s individuation.
 In effect, this is what a lost soul is, a soul born centered in its ephemeral self; and if not born this way, it becomes this way according to the values it has been brought up with or chosen to live by, values that compromise one’s destined journey to wholeness and completeness, values that serve the ego/shadow personality and not one’s inner, true self.
And, at the risk of offending the non-believer again, not until one has grown enough through the natural individuation process of karma and reincarnation and is ready to take evolution into their own hands to complete what nature cannot finish will one be free to reconcile their ephemeral self with their essential self and become one self whole and complete; only then will this truth become self-evident. That’s the mystery of the human condition that the poet Emily Dickinson spoke to when she wrote: “Adventure most unto itself /The Soul condemned to be; /Attended by a Single Hound— /Its own Identity.” 

——

No comments:

Post a Comment