Saturday, May 5, 2018

One Rule to Live By: Be Good, Chapter One: "Ask the Question, and the Answer Will Come"


INTRODUCING NEW WORK IN PROGRESS
 One Rule to Live By: Be Good

Inspired by Jordan B. Peterson, a clinical psychologist and U of T professor, a modern-day hierophant who spoke truth to power and refuted the amendment to Bill C-16 and was catapulted onto the world stage for his valiant defense of free speech and pushback to postmodern nihilism, identity politics, and political correctness. He is the author of the Amazon global bestseller12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos.. TODAY’S POST: Chapter One: “Ask the Question, and the Answer Will Come.”
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER ONE

Ask the Question, and the Answer Will Come

          I wrote a book of poetry last year, Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys; and I opened my book with the following poem:
         
What the Hell
Is Going on Out There?

Hierophants of the world,
what the hell is going on out there?
Your antennae are out of whack,
and all you report is madness,
madness, and more madness, or
am I too blind to see?

Hierophants of the world,
tell me the truth, has the world
gone mad or is this some new sanity
beyond my ability to process
and understand?

Hierophants of the world,
I’ve lost all faith in religion, science,
and politics, but not in the better nature
of my fellow man, so please tell me:
what the hell is going on out there?

My poem came to me unbidden, nearly word perfect; but I wasn’t angry at the world when I wrote my poem. I was angry at myself for my inability to process and understand what the hell was going on out there. But my muse was good to me, and it offered me hope in the better nature of my fellow man; and time went by...
Little did I expect however that the answer to my angry question would offer itself to me in the better nature of a budding hierophant that I saw coming three years before he stepped onto the world stage with his surprising Amazon bestseller 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, a transplanted western boy from small-town Alberta by the name of Jordan B. Peterson, a clinical psychologist and U of T professor of psychology who began posting his lectures on YouTube five years ago where I “chanced” upon him while doing research for a book I was working on, which strangely enough was titled The Sign of Things to Come; but because I don’t believe in chance, I’ve put the word in quotation marks.
 I watched one of Professor Peterson’s lectures on C. G. Jung (Jung: Personality and its Transformations), and he made such a strong impression upon me that over the next few days I watched five or six more of his personality lectures; that’s when I knew that he was going to make his mark on the world one day. He had the right stuff.
In fact, I was so moved by his passion, intelligence and authenticity that I sent him copies of my books The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway and The Pearl of Great Price, because I knew that his own remarkable journey to “wholeness and singleness of self,” as Carl Jung described the goal of the individuation process, was leading him to the mysteries of  the secret way just as Jung’s own journey had led him, as he tells us in his commentary to Richard Wilhelm’s translation of the ancient Taoist text, The Secret of the Golden Flower:
“I was completely ignorant of Chinese philosophy, and only later did my professional experience show me that in my technique I had been unconsciously led along the secret way which has been the preoccupation of the best minds in the East for Centuries” (The Secret of the Golden Flower, p. 86; bold italics mine).
Like Jung, I also had found the secret way; and my heart went out to Professor Peterson. That’s why I sent him my books to read, in the hope that he might glean some insights from them that would lead him to the secret way also.
That was three years ago. Last year I was working on a new spiritual musing, which I normally post on my Spiritual Musings blog before publishing them in book form, but I hit a blank wall and did not know how to bring my musing to closure.
Though I’m always surprised when it happens, whenever I hit a wall in my writing the merciful law of divine synchronicity kicks in and offers me a way out of my predicament; that’s why I was “nudged” to watch Professor Peterson’s lecture on Jung again, and something the professor said was exactly what I needed to bring my musing to resolution, and it behooves me to quote my musing to illustrate how the secret way works in my life:

The Purpose of Art is Art’s Purpose

I don’t know why I was called to write this spiritual musing, but while working on another book this morning (The Sign of Things to Come) I wrote something that jumped out at me like a news bulletin from tomorrow, a hierophantic insight that was a remarkable confirmation of the theme of my new book on the sign of things to come but which called out to be explored in today’s spiritual musing, an insight that falls squarely into that dreaded category of dangerous spiritual musings that always scare me.
A dangerous spiritual musing can hit so close to home that it can nick the sacred bone of one’s life and come back to play nasty with me; but that, essentially, is the theme of today’s spiritual musing—daring to take the risk and cross the line into the unknown territory of the creative unconscious where the objective will of the creative principle of life and the subjective will of the author become one willful purpose, which brings to mind those famous words by the celebrated poet of The Wasteland: “We shall not cease from exploration /And the end of all our exploring /Will be to arrive where we started.”
From the earliest age, I wanted to be a writer like my high school hero and literary mentor Ernest Hemingway; but in grade twelve I read Somerset Maugham’s novel The Razor’s Edge and was called to become a seeker like Maugham’s intrepid hero Larry Darrell, and I spent many years exploring the sacred teachings of the world to find an answer to the haunting question of my life, who am I?
Happily, I found the answer to my question and my explorations brought me back to where I started, which was my desire to become a writer; and I wrote indefatigably to make up for all the years I had spent looking for my true self. And the more I wrote, the more I learned about the art of creative writing, until one day I discovered the secret that all great writers find eventually, like the inscrutable poet Emily Dickinson, and that’s the dangerous subject of today’s musing…

My life partner Penny Lynn joins me in my writing room for coffee every morning, and we talk about our dreams and other things and always about the book she brings in with her to read, and it’s surprising how quickly she can read a book in such a short time each morning before going to work; like The Selected Stories of Mavis Gallant, 887 pages long; Alice Munro’s The Love of a Good Woman; and the book she’s currently reading, John Updike’s Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories, and we talk about her impressions of the stories and the authors.
That’s how I gauge the quality of the books she reads, because I trust Penny Lynn’s judgment implicitly; and her impressions of John Updike’s writing confirmed Professor Harold Bloom’s indictment that Updike is “a minor novelist with a major style, hovering always near a greatness he is too shrewd or diffident to risk.”
Penny loved Mavis Gallant, and even more Alice Munro’s stories; but John Updike she could take or leave because his stories, though masterfully crafted and brilliantly written, did not leave a lasting impression.
“They fade away as soon as I read them. It’s like he never gets to the soul of his story,” Penny said to me, and I had to wonder why, because as much as I love John Updike for his brilliant style and uncanny mastery of le mot juste his stories faded away on me also, unlike Hemingway’s stories which left a lasting impression; but when I was given the insight for today’s spiritual musing, I knew why—which is why I felt compelled to explore it in today’s musing; and so, once again into the breach…

Creative writing is a mystical experience. Norman Mailer called it “spooky,” but he didn’t’ know why, and neither does any other writer that I’m aware of (except for maybe Emily Dickinson); but I resolved this mystery in my spiritual musings, because writing my musings brought to the fore the mystical element of creative writing, which proved to be the intelligent guiding principle of life that guides our creative unconscious but which has also been called “God within” by Emerson and “Spirit” by Wordsworth and other poets; and herein lies the danger of today’s spiritual musing, because it dares to bring God into the dynamic of the creative writing process which will be sure to raise a few eyebrows, literary and otherwise.
Without mincing words, then; I’ve come to see that ‘the generous Spirit that makes the path before us always bright’ as Wordsworth tells us in his poem “Character of the Happy Warrior,” which I made the ideal of my life, is the élan vital of life, and writers have the gift of tapping into the creative force of life with their writing. And herein lies the dilemma of the creative writer’s art, because tapping into the creative force of life incurs an inexplicable moral responsibility that can intimidate the most gifted writer, as it seems to have done the prodigiously talented John Updike.
Literary critic and Sterling Professor of the Humanities at Yale University, Professor Harold Bloom felt that John Updike was too shrewd or diffident to risk the greatness of his art, but he never explained why, which is what I feel I was called upon to explore in today’s spiritual musing; but to do so, I have to explain that the writer who does not work in willful harmony with the intelligent guiding principle of life will impede the flow of the creative process and damage the integrity of his art—like the novelist who controls his characters instead of letting his creative unconscious give them a life of their own so they can bring to light the archetypal truth of their story. “Art is the truth above the facts of life,” said the author of Out of Africa Karan Blixen, which our own Nobel Laureate Alice Munroe brought closer to home with aphoristic genius in her comment “Memoir is the facts of life. Fiction is the truth of life.”
I quote these eminent writers to make the point that the inherent purpose of art is to explore the truth of life. That’s why Hemingway began every story that he wrote with the truest sentence that he knew, upon which he built the rest of his story to satisfy his literary credo to “tell it the way it was.” But that’s not the whole secret of Hemingway’s art, because being true to “the way it was” does not always satisfy the creative process, as Hemingway learned when he experimented with his novel The Green Hills of Africa, a strait biographical account of his African safari with his second wife Pauline Pfeiffer which proved to be an artistic failure that taught Hemingway the lesson of his life that every great writer must learn and obey: it takes the miraculous power of imagination to lift one’s writing to the lofty heights of art.
Hemingway revealed his “secret” in his memoir A Moveable Feast, the final book of his life that he was working on just before taking his own life with his favorite shotgun in Ketchum, Idaho: “I was learning something from the paintings of Cezanne that made writing simple sentences far from enough to make the stories have the dimension that I was trying to put into them. I was learning very much from him, but I was not articulate enough to explain to anyone. Besides it was a secret.”
That “secret” made Hemingway a great writer. After licking his wounds for the artistic failure of The Green Hills of Africa, the resourceful writer used the same African safari experience to write two of his best short stories, “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber,” and my favorite Hemingway story “The Snows of Kilimanjaro,” which proved to Hemingway that the miraculous power of imagination was necessary to make art, thereby confirming what Adrienne Rich said about creative writing: “Poetry is an act of the imagination that transforms reality into a deeper perception of what is.” Hemingway gave his African safari experience to the guiding principle of his creative unconscious, and the deeper perception of his experience was revealed in his two remarkable stories that bared the wretched soul of his protagonists.
That’s how art is made. But as much as I understood how art is made, I could not quite give my understanding of the secret of art the clarity that it deserved; and then the merciful law of divine synchronicity kicked in to assist me, which was proof yet again of the intelligent guiding principle of life that I had learned to trust implicitly…

I started writing this spiritual musing yesterday morning, but I had to stop because I could not take it any further; it needed “something” to bring it to resolution, and as serendipity would have it, this “something” came to me when I was nudged later in the evening to go on YouTube and watch Professor Jordan Peterson’s lecture on Jung again, and something he said about art jumped out at me, because it was exactly what I needed to bring resolution to my spiritual musing.
As he gave a Jungian interpretation of the movie The Lion King to his students, Professor Peterson inadvertently revealed that certain “something” about the creative process that I needed to bring resolution to my spiritual musing: “Art cannot be designed for a purpose. The purpose of art is art’s purpose,” which is the secret of all great writing that I intuited to be the intelligent guiding principle of life.
Ironically, this is the mystical nature of the creative process that has been called spooky by Norman Mailer (and other writers, like Martin Amis), because no one understands how it works. But the psychologist Carl Jung intuited this secret in his essay “Psychology and Literature” in his book Modern Man in Search of a Soul: “The artist is not a person endowed with free will who seeks his own ends, but one who will allow art to realize its purpose through him. As a human being he may have moods and a will and personal aims, but as an artist he is a ‘man’ in a higher sense—he is ‘collective man’—one who carries and shapes the unconscious, psychic life of mankind” (Modern Man in Search of Soul, C. G. Jung, p. 169; bold italics mine).
Which implies that the creative process is the intelligent guiding principle of life that brings the truth of life into existence through the medium of the artist but which, as Hemingway and all great artists come to learn, can only be done when the artist engages the transcendent function of his imagination and transforms the reality of his experience into a deeper perception of that experience, as Hemingway did with his African safari experience when he wrote his two famous short stories, “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber” and “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.”
Being aware of the mystical nature of the creative process, I engaged my own imagination to transform one of the most private experiences of my own life: I flipped a coin to make up my mind for me. I did this for six months with every major decision of my life for the experimental purpose of “letting go and letting God.”  I did this to learn to trust my gut instincts, which proved to be very effective, and twenty years later I gave this experience to my creative unconscious to work into a story, and with the power of my imagination I transformed my experience of “letting go and letting God” into a deeper perception of my experience, and the truth of my experience became my magical realism novel The Golden Seed; so I know how this mystical process works. But what does it really mean to say that the purpose of art is art’s purpose? What is art’s purpose?
I could explore this until the cows come home, but the short answer is that art’s purpose is to bring to light the archetypal truth of man’s existence; and when an artist imposes his will upon the will of the intelligent guiding principle of the creative process he impedes the archetypal truth that the creative process seeks to bring to light; this separates the great artist from all the rest, regardless how gifted an artist may be, like John Updike who hovered near a greatness that he was too shrewd or diffident to risk.
Which means, if the logic of art holds true as I believe it does, that the greater the truth the intelligent guiding principle of the creative process seeks to bring to light, the greater the risk the artist will have to take; and, as the history of art tells us, only the very few dare to risk their all for the greater truth of their art, as Hemingway did when he bared his wretched soul in “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber” and “The Snows of Kilimanjaro,” and as Emily Dickinson did in her poetry that continues to baffle the world with the mystique of her “secret.” 

——

            I continued watching Professor Peterson’s lectures and talks on YouTube with a growing fascination, because they were answering the angry question of my poem and satisfying my need to know what the hell was going on out there; and then the good professor was pushed to the edge by the pernicious forces of identity politics and political correctness and he took a courageous stand for free speech and spoke truth to power by refuting an amendment to the Canadian Human Rights Act in Bill C-16
After carefully parsing the legislation, Citizen Peterson did not view Bill C-16 as an egalitarian coda that would merely expand the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination to include gender identity and gender expression. In his view, being forced to use “preferred pronouns” amounted to “compelled speech,” and he flat out refused to use invented pronouns under government fiat; and he made two videos explaining his position and posted them on YouTube, and they went viral and catapulted him onto the world stage. And then he published 12 Rules for Life; An Antidote to Chaos, his well-reasoned response to the nefarious forces of postmodern nihilism and identity politics, and that launched him onto the global stage; and to everyone’s surprise, he became the heroic hierophant that the world was calling for.
          Time passed; and then one day I read an interview of Jordan Peterson by Christie Blatchford in the National Post (Saturday, January 20, 2018), and I was once again nudged by my oracle to send him a copy of My Writing Life, the sequel to my book The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway that I had sent him three years earlier, plus a copy of my twin soul book The Merciful Law of Divine Synchronicity (twin soul to my book Death, the Final Frontier), which I felt would help to satisfy the good professor’s Jungian longing for the guiding principle of the secret way of life—a terrible presumption on my part; but, like Socrates, I always listen to my oracle, and I sent the following note with my books:

Professor Peterson. Pardon my presumption. Please accept a courtesy copy of My Writing Life, a sequel to The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway that I was nudged to send you three years ago, and a copy of my twin soul book The Merciful Law of Divine Synchronicity which may excite your interest, given your passion and admiration for C. G. Jung.
Once again, I was nudged to send you these books upon reading your interview with Christie Blatchford in the National Post (Saturday, January 20, 2018), after reading Conrad Black’s column first, of course (I just love that man’s metanoic change of heart after his public humiliation and prison sentence), and the excerpt of your new book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, because the thought occurred to me that being as Jungian as you seem to be you might be intrigued by someone who actually experienced what Jung called “wholeness and singleness of self,” it being that rare fruit of the individuation process. Incredible as it may seem, this was my experience; and I was nudged to send you these books to give you a literary insight into the life of an individual who actually satisfied the longing of his soul for wholeness and completeness. Again, pardon my presumption. But if you can find the time in your busy life to read them, I’m sure you’ll understand my reason for sending them; and I hope they give you inspiration for your own courageous individuation process.  

Respectfully,
Orest Stocco

More time passed; and on Saturday, March 17, 2018 I read a three-page feature article in the Toronto Star headlined, “Who’s Afraid of Jordan Peterson,” by Vinay Menon, and so moved was I by the good professor who had thrust his articulate sword into the heart of the nefarious beast of postmodern nihilism and its odious offspring political correctness with his Amazon bestseller 12 Rules for Live: An Antidote to Chaos and sold-out public talks which drew thousands of people hungering for the Logos and all the interviews across Canada, the United States, England, Denmark, and Australia that I heard a call from my muse (much louder than most calls) to write a book that would cut to the quick on the natural process of individuation and help resolve soul’s longing for wholeness and completeness, and the title that came to me by providential decree was: One Rule to Live By: Be Good, and being a servant of my muse, I went to my computer and began writing this story…

------------------------------------------------.

 NEXT WEEK: Chapter Two: “The Imponderable Myth of My Life”





No comments:

Post a Comment