Saturday, May 19, 2018

One Rule to Live By: Be Good, Chapter Three: "Why Rules to Live By, Anyway?"


CHAPTER THREE

Why Rules to Live By, Anyway?

Rules are organizing principles, and they put one’s life in order; and unless we put our own life in order, life can be very, very difficult. As Dr. Jordan Peterson painfully learned through his twenty years of clinical practice, life can break a person down; that’s why rules to live by are necessary, they make one stronger for life.
“To stand up straight with your shoulders back is to accept the terrible responsibility of life, with eyes wide open,” he writes in 12 Rules for Life. “It means deciding to voluntarily transform the chaos of potential into the realities of habitual order. It means adopting the burden of self-conscious vulnerability, and accepting the end of the unconscious paradise of childhood, where finitude and mortality are only dimly comprehended. It means willingly undertaking the sacrifices necessary to generate a productive and meaningful reality. (It means acting to please God, in the ancient language)” (12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, by Jordan B. Peterson, p. 27).
One would not believe the rules that I chose to live by when I lived Gurdjieff’s teaching of “work on oneself.” I even had to create one rule in my Royal Dictum (my edict of self-denial, inspired by Sophocles’ tragic play Oedipus Rex and the Preacher’s opening words in Ecclesiastes) that was so insufferably difficult to live by that it bore a hole right through the impenetrable wall of the mesoteric stage of evolution and gained me entry into the esoteric third and final stage of evolution where life finally gave up the secret way to me; so, believe me, I know what it means to live by rules. It was this experience that gave birth to the meanest saying of my entire life: “The shortest way to God is through hell.”
That’s why I look forward to reading the rest of Jordan Peterson’s book, because I know that every one of his twelve rules for life was born of his own journey of self-discovery, and his individuation process fascinates me for its honesty, integrity, and desperation; like a lone voice crying in the wilderness that has finally been heard around the world.
But as Padre Pio said to me when the gifted medium channelled him for my novel Healing with Padre Pio, “Life is a journey of the self,” which was enhanced by Christ’s comment in Glenda Green’s book Love without End, Jesus Speaks (a book that Padre Pio suggested I read), “There is only the self and God.” However, long before I wrote Healing with Padre Pio and read Green’s book, I had learned that life is an individual journey, which all added up to the same thing: all paths lead to the self, and not until one takes responsibility for their own evolution will life give up its secret.
This is why Gurdjieff said, “There is only self-initiation into the mysteries of life,” and I knew that Jordan Peterson’s valiant perspective in 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos would open one up to life’s mysteries, because taking responsibility for one’s life makes one more conscious, and consciousness is the key that opens the door to the final stage of evolution where one can complete what Nature cannot finish and be one’s true self.
But opening the door to the third stage of evolution is not easy. Not because one is not intelligent enough, many exceptionally brilliant people have tried and failed and will continue to fail to open this door, because intelligence is not sufficient for entry—Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Sartre, Camus, Bertrand Russell, Richard Dawkins, Ayn Rand, Christopher Hitchens, Salman Rushdie, Sam Harris & company, all brilliant in mind but tragically arrogant in spiritual obtuseness; it takes a special kind of energy to open this door, and that’s the real mystery of the human predicament.
And I would never have known this had not my oracle spoken to me (by way of inspired thought, in this case) when Gurdjieff’s teaching could do no more for me and I created my Royal Dictum, which bore through the mental impasse that Gurdjieff had brought me to because my edict of self-denial resolved the consciousness of my paradoxical nature (my being and non-being, which constitute one’s inner and outer self) enough for me to pass through the eye of the needle and realize my true, eternal self.
“He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal,” said Jesus (John 12:25); but who is willing to “die” to the false consciousness of their outer self to realize the eternal consciousness of their inner, soul self? Not many. Only those who have gone as far as life can take them and have nowhere else to go; that’s why my heart goes out to anyone whose path has taken them as far as it can, like the good professor Jordan Peterson. And this is not an arrogant presumption; it’s a hard, cruel fact of the teleological imperative of soul’s individuation through life which, if I had any good sense at all, I would keep to myself but can’t because like Rumi my oracle has also shouted into my ear, “Tell it unveiled, the naked truth! The declaration’s better than the secret.”
My declaration then is that my truth, in all of its vulnerable nakedness, presupposes that we are all sparks of divine consciousness that come from the infinite Body of God; that karma and reincarnation are an incontrovertible fact of life; and that the purpose of life is to individuate the un-self-realized I Am consciousness of God, presuppositions that would tax anyone’s credulity; but when all is said and done, the only reality that really matters in the end is the truth of one’s own experiences, and mine have brought me to this  astonishing perspective outside the paradigms of cognitive thought. As my hero Carl Gustav Jung (who privately believed in reincarnation but could never admit to it openly to safeguard the scientific credibility of his psychology) would say, this is what I was meant to be. This is who I am. This is my personality. And I have to be true to who I am no less than Professor Jordan Peterson had to be true to who he was when he stood up for free speech.
As I experienced in my seven past-life regressions, we come from God as embryonic souls, un-self-conscious seeds of divine consciousness encoded with God’s DNA to realize our own identity through the evolution of our karmic destiny, and the only way we can do this is to align our karmic destiny with our spiritual purpose; and this is the mystery that baffles the world, because one has to “square the circle” to resolve the paradox of the dual consciousness of their inner and outer self that Jesus spoke to in the Gospel of Thomas when he was asked when his kingdom would come and he replied: “When the two will be one, the outer like the inner, and the male with the female neither male or female,” to which Thomas added: “Now the two are one when we speak truth to each other and there is one soul in two bodies with no hypocrisy”—one self, whole and complete; the divine fruit of evolution.
God is merciful, then; and this is not a cliché with me. My journey of self-discovery awakened me to the secret way that finally revealed itself to me as the omniscient guiding principle of life, which throughout history has been called the Creator, God, Holy Spirit, Logos, Providence, Baraka, Chi, Tao, vital life force, and the way; and it is the same spark of divine consciousness that we are all born with.
This is why Jesus said that the kingdom of God was within, and which Carl Jung caught a glimpse of in his own journey to wholeness and completeness, as he points to in his essay “The Development of the Individual”: “The undiscovered vein within us is a living part of the psyche; classical Chinese philosophy names this interior way ‘Tao,’ and likens it to a flow of water that moves irresistibly towards its goal. The rest in Tao means fulfillment, wholeness, one’s destination reached, one’s mission done; the beginning, end, and perfect realization of the meaning of existence innate in all things. Personality is Tao” (The Essential Jung, by Anthony Storr. p. 210; bold italics mine).
Just as the acorn seed is an oak tree in potentia, so are we the potential realization of the seed of our true self; which is why I look forward to reading the rest of Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules to Live By: An Antidote to Chaos, because in his book I can see the organizing principle of life that will harness that special energy one needs to awaken to the secret way that will take one to the third and final stage of evolution where one can complete what Nature cannot finish and realize one’s destine purpose to wholeness and completeness.
The good professor is frantically knocking on the door of inner growth and evolution, and the world has heard him loud and clear; that’s the mystery of his sudden popularity and irresistible appeal to the young generation (especially young men) looking for guidance and direction, which brings to mind something that Jesus said: “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it will be opened unto you. For everyone that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.”
My creative unconscious asked the question, “What the Hell Is Going on Out There?” and the Universe heard my plea;  and out of the shadows of academia a brilliant hierophant by the name of Jordan B. Peterson stepped into the light with his maps of meaning and began answering my angry question with his valiant defense of free speech and his character-building book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos that knocked on the hermetically sealed door of the secret way so loudly that my oracle summoned me to write One Rule to Live By: Be Good which, hopefully, will open the door to one’s soul, if only a sliver…




No comments:

Post a Comment