Saturday, June 2, 2018

One Rule to Live By: Be Good, Chapter 5: The Self that Isn't a Self


CHAPTER 5

The Self that Isn’t a Self

“I am what I am not, and I am not what I am,” concluded the French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre, reflecting the dual nature of our reflective self-consciousness, the being and non-being of our evolving enantiodromiac nature; but how can this be? How can we possible be what we are not? What is this impenetrable mystery?
This was my call to destiny, my mission in life—to resolve the mystery of the self that wasn’t me, that aspect of my personality that wasn’t who I was; and how did I know that it wasn’t me? How could I possible be a false me and a real me at one and the same time? That’s what I set out to resolve in the twenty-third year of my life when I dropped everything and fled to Annecy, France to begin my long and painful quest for my true self.
I’ve explored this story over and over in all of my writing (twenty-three books to date), but most succinctly in The Summoning of Noman and The Pearl of Great Price, and I need not rehash my story here; suffice to say that my knowledge of the dual consciousness of our reflective self did not come without sacrifice; I paid for it with every step I took on my journey to wholeness and completeness, and the price that I paid would make one shudder.
But there was no other way to pass through the eye of the needle and enter into the third and final stage of personal evolution to complete what Nature cannot finish; and that’s the bloody irony—because we have no choice! We are all teleologically driven to become our true self, and not until we find the way to our true self will we satisfy the irrepressible longing in our soul for wholeness and completeness. Here we are then, standing at the gateway of the inner circle of life, as far as the natural process of evolution can take us, but we have no idea where to go next, where to look, how to enter; and we despair. Oh God, how we despair!
The encoded imperative of our inner nature drives us against the impenetrable wall of our unknowing, crushing our spirit or making us stronger; but either way, not until one dares to risk it all will they find the answer to the haunting mystery of our becoming.
And it is here that we find the broken souls, all the wretched and miserable people who cannot make sense of life, some shaking their fist at God and others falling into such dark pits of mental darkness that they cast a pall upon everyone around them.
“All we have is hope, but what hope is there?” said the poet Margaret Atwood, author of the dystopian novel The Handmaid’s Tale that was made into a television series last year and continues in season two with a much bleaker picture of human nature but which I refuse to watch on principle. And what does this say about postmodern nihilism that has cast a blight upon the good professor Jordan Peterson’s life? But he’s right to divide the world into order and chaos, because this is the enantiodromiac nature of the human condition; and this is the clue to the mystery of the being and non-being of our evolving self-consciousness; but how can we possibly see this if we relegate the reflective self of man to our brain?
Is the self an epiphenomenon of our brain, or is it independent of our brain? Is it a product of our biology, or is it “something” that we are born with?
In all honesty, it boggles my mind whenever I read the literature and listen to all the materialist naysayers like Margaret Atwood; and it’s beginning to bore the hell out of me when people—and the more brilliant, the more annoying! —argue from the perspective that our reflective and autonomous individual self is a product of our brain; but knowing that there is only self-initiation into the mysteries of life, I forgive them their spiritual obtuseness.
But this is professor Jordan Peterson’s dilemma, standing on the razor’s edge of this haunting question—which reminds me of the epigram that William Somerset Maugham quoted to introduce the remarkable story of his hero’s quest for truth in his novel The Razor’s Edge that inflicted me in high school with what the eminent literary critic Professor Harold Bloom called an “immortal wound” (a wound that pierces one’s soul) and called me to become a seeker like Maugham’s hero Larry Darrell, a quote from the Katha-Upanishad, one of the holy scriptures of the East: “The sharp edge of the razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say that the path to Salvation is hard.”
I was called to walk the razor’s edge, as every soul must when they have come to the limits of personal evolution, and though I got cut and bled many times I survived and found my true self; and it’s from this perspective that I wrote the spiritual musing that I was called upon to write by the movie Still Alice that Penny and I saw last summer:

Personal Identity and Alzheimer’s

“We are more than the memory of who we are,” I said to Penny on our drive home from the Uptown Theatre and early dinner at Wimpy’s Diner in Barrie yesterday afternoon, and I knew instantly that this was my entry point into the spiritual musing that the movie Still Alice had inspired; and this morning I called upon my muse to help me explore the haunting question of personal identity and Alzheimer’s that the remarkable movie Still Alice inevitably gave rise to…

I didn’t really want to see Still Alice, starring Julianne Moore who won an Oscar for her moving performance as the fifty-year old Alice Howland, professor of linguistics at Columbia University afflicted with early-onset Alzheimer’s, because I knew it would be a tear jerker; but we went anyway, and it proved to be no less than a three-tissue movie.
But it wasn’t so much the emotional impact that Alice had upon me as Alzheimer’s ravages her memory, even though that in itself easily moved me to tears; it was the unbearable irony of her tragic predicament: Alice is an exceptionally bright high-achiever whose personal identity is inextricably linked with her intellect, and when she loses her memory she loses her sense of self-identity and slowly sinks into an abyss of blank-faced dumbness from which she won’t recover.
This bothered me more than her disease, not because I didn’t empathize with Alice’s rapid deterioration and the effect it had upon her loving family, but because this beautiful and gracious wife and mother of three responsible adult children was hopelessly trapped by the spiritually suffocating scientific constraints of her condition; and with each passing day and hour and minute her comfortable middle-class world slowly shrank into memory-fading oblivion.
“You know, sweetheart,” I said to Penny as we drove through Minesing on our way home to Bluewater in Georgian Bay after the heartbreaking movie and simple hot hamburger dinner at Wimpy’s Diner; “what a person believes in makes a difference in how they feel when they’re faced with their own mortality, or facing a tragic disease like Alice’s in the movie. Do you remember me telling you about my buddy Michael Ignatieff’s novel Scar Tissue that dealt with this same issue of Alzheimer’s and personal identity?”
“Vaguely,” Penny said. “But you’re going to remind me, aren’t you?”
I was being sarcastic when I called the disgraced former leader of the Liberal Party of Canada Michael Ignatieff my buddy, because I had lost respect for him when he forced a totally unnecessary election that decimated the Liberal Party and reduced it to third party status. “Those who can’t, teach,” I responded to his catastrophic and personally humiliating defeat (he even lost his own Toronto’s Etobicoke-Lakeshore seat) when he resigned as leader of the Official Opposition and ignominiously shrunk away with his bushy academic tail between his legs to teach at the University of Toronto and then back to Harvard’s ivory tower where he had been plucked by the Liberal Party establishment to be the next Pierre Trudeau to save Canada from Premier Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party.
I respected the former professor/journalist/author Michael Ignatieff, whose TV show Ignatieff I watched with avid interest (I distinctly remember his interview with Hemingway’s third wife Martha Gellhorn, whose life with Hemingway inspired the movie Hemingway and Gellhorn, which in turn inspired my book The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway), and I read with fascination Ignatieff’s autobiographical novel Scar Tissue that was shortlisted for the Booker Prize, because the core of his story was about Alzheimer’s and personal identity, just as the movie Still Alice that was based on the New York Times bestselling eponymous novel by neuroscientist Lisa Genova.
I didn’t lose respect for Ignatieff because he aspired to become Prime Minister of Canada, which is a noble if not impossible ambition for even the most astute politician; but because it was an arrogant presumption to think that he could squirm his way to the top position of the Liberal Party and become Prime Minister of Canada without paying his political dues, which was why he was branded by the Conservative Party attack adds during the ill-timed election as “arrogant and elitist,” and it wasn’t by any stretch of imagination that I connected the dots of his massive ego with his novel Scar Tissue whose theme was so intimate and personal that it caused a rift with his family, especially with his brother Andrew who was primary caregiver for his mother and not his fictional self as he wrote in Scar Tissue.
Michael Ignatieff’s mother fell prey to Alzheimer’s, and he watched her lose her sense of self as her memory faded from week to week until she mercifully passed away in a nursing home; and his novel explored the theme of loss of memory and self-identity, because the narrator of Scar Tissue is a philosophy professor not unlike the author who is haunted by his fear of inheriting his mother’s Alzheimer’s, and what better way for the professor-turned-politician, who when campaigning for the leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada cleverly called himself “neither atheist nor believer,” to immortalize his name than to become Prime Minster of Canada just in case Alzheimer’s erased his memory? What better confirmation could one have to validate their insecure egoic need to be?
I have no doubt that in his mind the Harvard professor’s motives for entering Canadian politics were pure and altruistic (despite the fact that he lived outside Canada for thirty years, he professed to a philosophy of engagement to justify his commitment to the Liberal Party), but novels based on one’s personal life have a tendency to reveal much more than the author realizes, as many writers have learned after a critical study of their work; and Michael Ignatieff’s intensely personal and poignant novel Scar Tissue reflected the tremulous shadow side of the author’s scholarly trained ego that goes straight to the issue of consciousness and individual identity: is our reflective self-consciousness an epiphenomenon of our biology, which disappears when our body dies; or does our reflective self co-exist with our physical body and continues to exist non-biologically after our body dies?
This is the core issue of Scar Tissue that Michael Ignatieff tried to come to terms with creatively through narrative inquiry, and it is the same issue in the movie Still Alice that is left hanging in the air as Alice fades away into herself, and it also happens to be the issue that I devoted my whole life to resolving and writing about in my novels, poetry, and memoirs and which is the premise of today’s musing. Having said this, I can now proceed to the heart of the issue of being and not being who we are…

Alzheimer’s is like a magnifying glass, focusing our attention on the individual self; because as one loses one’s memory with the ravages of this disease, one’s self-identity disappears. But where does it go? That’s the heart of the issue.
Science would have us believe that when we die, the matrix of consciousness that makes up our self-identity dies with us; or, generously speaking, science may allow the possibility that, like energy which can neither be created nor destroyed but simply changes form, the matrix of our reflective self-consciousness may simply go back into the cosmic stream of life, which is what the Buddhist philosophy contends.
Ignatieff’s inquiry into the issue of Alzheimer’s and self-identity appears to hold this point of view; and bringing his narrative to closure, the author/narrator says: "But I know that there is a life beyond this death, a time beyond this time. I know that at the very last moment, when everything I ever knew has been effaced from my mind, when pure vacancy has taken possession of me, then light of the purest whiteness will stream in through my eyes into the radiant and empty plane of my mind."
But this is the non-self of the Buddhist philosophy; not the individuated consciousness of our autonomous self that pre-exists our physical body and continues to exist when our body dies.
I’ve already explored this issue in my book Stupidity Is Not a Gift of God in my essay “On the Evolutionary Impulse to Individuate: A Response to the Spiritual Path of Evolutionary Enlightenment,” so I need not go into detail here; suffice to say that in my quest for resolution to the issue of the self, I came to the conclusion that we are all born with a spark of divine consciousness that evolves through life into an individual and autonomous self; and the self evolves naturally through the karmic process of being and becoming. To be, we have to become; and we become who we are according to how we live our life. That’s the central mystery of the human condition that I have explored in my book The Pearl of Great Price
Given my personal perspective, then; I see the matrix of consciousness that we call our reflective self not as a by-product (epiphenomenon) of the brain (our neurology), but as an autonomous self that exists independently of our body; but what other proof do we have?
In the movie Still Alice, Alice Howland loses her self-identity as her memory is erased by early-onset Alzheimer’s; but was her self-identity a by-product of her neurological system which disappears into oblivion when that part of her brain is ravaged by her disease, or does it recede elsewhere where it cannot be seen?
In other words, is Alice still Alice despite the loss of her memory of who she is? Would Alice still be Alice if she lost a leg, an arm, a breast, or a vital organ that had to be replaced, like her heart?
Many heart transplant patients have reported the phenomenon of taking on personality traits of their donors, like Jane Seymour did in the movie Heart of a Stranger that was inspired by the true story of Claire Sylvia’s heart transplant; but that’s a separate musing that I hope to write one day. The point of today’s spiritual musing is this: is our self-identity limited to our memory alone, or does it pervade throughout the cells of our entire body as pioneer researcher in cellular consciousness Dr. Graham Farrant and Dr. Paul Pearlsall (The Heart’s Code) have discovered, and even beyond cellular memory in non-biological form after our body dies? And if so, what proof do we have besides my own conviction?
In October, 2012 Dr. Eben Alexander, a practicing neurosurgeon for twenty-five years who was convinced that self-identity was an epiphenomenon of the brain, had a unique if not providentially inspired medical experience that changed his entire scientific perspective on consciousness and made him a believer in the independent existence of our individual and autonomous self, and he wrote a book on the experience that initiated him into the divine mystery of the self. The book is called Proof of Heaven, A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife; and it was on the New York Times bestseller list for 97 weeks. 
“On November 10, 2008,” he wrote in his book, “I was struck by a rare illness and thrown into a coma for seven days. During that time, my entire neocortex—the outer surface of the brain, the part that makes us human—was shut down. Inoperative. In essence, absent.”
Dr. Alexander believed that “the brain is a machine that produces consciousness,” and when “the machine breaks down, consciousness stops.” But the rare illness that he contracted (which proved to be a rare virus) shut his brain down and sent him into a seven-day coma that should have shut his consciousness down according to his scientific paradigm, but Dr. Alexander instead experienced himself outside his body in what Dr. Raymond Moody (Life After Life) described as the most astounding near-death experiences that he had studied in more than four decades of researching the incredible phenomenon of near death experiences.
In the Prologue to Proof of Heaven, former non-believer Dr. Alexander contritely wrote: “My experience showed me that the death of the body and the brain are not the end of consciousness, that human experience continues beyond the grave. More important, it continues under the gaze of God who loves and cares about each one of us and about where the universe itself and all the beings within it are ultimately going,” which means, quite simply, that Alice was still Alice despite her loss of memory!

———

          Once again, another example in Dr. Eben Alexander’s OBE (the literature is replete with thousands upon thousands of experiences of one one’s immortal, soul self), of someone who hit their wall of unknowing and had a divinely inspired experience that initiated them into the mysteries of the final stage of personal evolution; that’s why I find it a waste of energy to try and prove that our soul self is not an epiphenomenon of our brain. But this begs the deeper question: what is it about our reflective self that denies its own existence?
Must take pause…







No comments:

Post a Comment