Saturday, June 16, 2018

One Rule to Live By: Be Good, Chapter 7: The Mystery of Personal Identity


CHAPTER 7

The Mystery of Personal Identity

“These leaves, our bodily personalities, seem identical,
but the globe of soul-fruit we make,
each is elaborately unique.”

—Jalaluddin Rumi

Personal identity. That’s a hot topic today. Do we evolve in our personal identity existentially, through millions of years of natural evolution from the lowest life form all the way up to higher primates and then into human beings with a reflective self-consciousness? And if so, at what point did our “I” come into being? That’s the mystery of personal identity.
I began my quest for my true self because of an unexpected sexual experience I had in the twenty-second year of my life that shocked my conscience awake and I could not live with myself, but I knew that the person who did what he did that night was not me; it was me, but not me, and I vowed to find out who this other me was or die trying.
That was the real beginning of my journey of self-discovery, which I completed when I gave “birth” to my immortal self in my mother’s kitchen one fine summer day when my inner and outer selves became one self, whole and complete; but I’ve written about this already and need not expound upon it here. What I want to make clear now is that there is more to the “I” of our existential life than we can see, because the “I” of our existential life is imbued with the “I” of our evolving soul self; but who would believe this?
There are any number of theories about the “I” of our personal identity. Carl Jung told me in a dream one night that the burning question of his life was the alpha and omega of the self—where does the self come from, and where does it go? That’s why I dropped out of university in my third year of philosophy studies, because I found myself drifting out into a sea of endless speculation on man’s existence, the why and where and when and how of man’s being, an endless mentation that would have drowned me; and I made up my mind to leave university and find the answer to the question that compelled me to go to university in the first place to study the great thinkers of the world—the haunting question, who am I?
Etymologically speaking, philosophy means love of wisdom, and I needed all the wisdom I could get to find my true self; so, where else would I go to find the answer to my haunting question but to the mother of all disciplines? But I did not leave university empty-handed. I found Gurdjieff’s system while studying philosophy, and with his teaching of “work on oneself” I went out into the world and set my feet firmly into the “terra firma” of my own existential life, and I built my life upon the truth of my own personal experiences.
I knew in the depths of my soul that the me who did what he did that godforsaken night was me but not me, but how could this be? I did not plan to do what I did, I was suddenly possessed by this other me that compelled to do what I did; but it wasn’t the me I knew myself to be. It was another me, a false me; and I dropped everything and went on my quest to find out who this other me was. That’s how my quest for my real self began.
I boarded an ocean liner in New York City and sailed to Naples, and from there I took a bus to Paris and then a train to the Alpine city of Annecy in the Haute-Savoie region of France where I lived for a year. An Italian friend of mine in Canada had a brother and sister living in Annecy, who welcomed me; and that’s when my quest for my true self began in earnest, despite the fact that I had been called to become a seeker in high school when I read Somerset Maugham’s novel The Razor’s Edge. And I did go wherever I was called to find my true self, whatever price it cost me; until one day I was called to pay the final price, which I wrote about in my most excruciatingly personal memoir The Pearl of Great Price.
So I experienced the alpha and omega of my personal identity, from my embryonic un-self-conscious spiritual self in the Body of God to the birth of my reflective self-consciousness in my existential lifetime as a higher primate, which I confirmed in one of my past-life regressions, and all the way through many more incarnations to the happy resolution of my essential and existential self in my current lifetime, and when I hear all this talk today on the hot topic of personal identity and gender politics, which got professor Jordan Peterson into hot water, I find myself smiling at all the confusion that I could have been a part of had I completed my academic studies and garnered a doctorate in philosophy.
But I would never have ventured down the path I was called to had I not believed in God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife; this was implicit to my belief system, and in my quest for my true self I became more and more conscious of what I believed in. This is what inspired the spiritual musing that I posted on my blog Friday, February 2, 2018:

Why People Don’t Believe in God,
the Immortal Soul, or Afterlife

            From the earliest age, I never doubted in the existence of God, my immortal soul, and the afterlife; on the contrary, it was because of my innate belief that I suffered the existential dread, anguish, and despair that I did growing up Roman Catholic. I felt trapped and had no idea why. All I knew was that I was born with a purpose, but I had no idea that this purpose was.
And then in grade twelve I read Somerset Maugham’s novel The Razor’s Edge and was inflicted with what professor Harold Bloom called an “immortal wound,” a wound of wonder, and I became an inveterate truth seeker like Maugham’s intrepid hero Larry Darrell.
But that was long ago, and I’ve covered a lot of ground since I began my quest for what I came to realize was my lost soul, which, ironically, I had presciently foreseen in my poem “Noman” that I wrote that same year for my grade twelve English teacher (who found it perplexing, to say the least) but which I finally resolved many years later in the memoir of my parallel life, The Summoning of Noman; but in my awareness that I was a lost soul whose purpose was to find my true self, I solved the riddle of the human condition which I worked out in book My Writing Life, the sequel to my memoir The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway.
And herein lies the mystery of why some people believe in God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife and others don’t; and it all has to do with where one’s “I” is centered. And by “I” I mean the reflective consciousness of one’s individuating soul self, which is the central problem of the human condition that the great writer Tolstoy unsuccessfully explored in The Death of Ivan Ilych, a problem that stems from the paradoxical nature of our soul self—our existential self and essential self, as the German mystic and teacher of the gnostic way of life Karlfield Graf Durckeim came to describe the dual consciousness of our soul self.
“We are citizens of two worlds, an “existential” one which is a conditioned reality, limited by time and space, and an “essential” one unconditioned and beyond time and space, accessible only to our inner consciousness and inaccessible to our powers,” said K. G. Durckeim in Alphonse Goettmann’s book The Path of Initiation. And he goes on to say: “Only this union of the existential self with the essential self, dealing with the whole of man, carries him to his full maturity and bears fruits, the first and most important of which is to be able to say “I am” in the full meaning of the word. From this becoming of the “I” in the full blossoming depends the relationship between man and the world, man and himself, man and Transcendence. At the beginning and at the end, at the origin and in the development of all life is found this transcendent “I am.” At the heart of all that is, man secretly senses this great “I Am” from which comes and to which returns all life. Each being is called to realize in his own way to this divine “I am” which seeks to express itself in modalities as varied and diverse as are all creatures of the universe” (The Path of Initiation, An Introduction to the Life and Thought of Karlfield Graft Durckeim, by Alphonse Goettmann, pp. 33, 36, 37).
And now comes the tricky truth; which is to say, the unrealized truth of our soul self as I have come to experience it and which will no doubt be subject to the ridicule and resistance of arrogant incredulity before it will ever be accepted as an incontrovertible fact of the human condition.
 As K. G. Durckeim realized (as have many mystics, poets, and God knows who else), it would appear that we have two selves; one self, or “I” that is born of our life in the world, which makes it our ephemeral existential self, and an a priori essential and immortal self that we are born with. But what Durckeim did not express in his prescient apperception of the double self of man, was the dual consciousness of our existential ego/shadow personality that I spent most of my life studying and resolving as I lived my own gnostic path of conscious self-individuation inspired by Gurdjieff and chronicled in my memoir The Pearl of Great Price, the story of the self-realization of the “I am” consciousness of my soul self.
Without going into detail, which I’ve done in my twin soul books Death, the Final Frontier and The Merciful Law of Divine Synchronicity, suffice to say in today’s spiritual musing that we all come into the world as sparks of divine consciousness, embryonic souls pre-destined to grow and evolve through life into fully self-realized souls, which K. G. Durckeim defined as the blessed fruit of the “I am” consciousness of God; but to bear the fruit of our own individuation process, we have to make one “I” out of our existential ego/shadow self and our essential soul self, one “I” whole and complete unto itself, just as C. G. Jung realized in his own gnostic path which was confirmed by his unconscious in a dream he had several days before his death at the ripe old age of 85. In his dream he saw, high up on a high place, a boulder lit by the full sun, and carved into the illuminated boulder were the words: “Take this as a sign of the wholeness you have achieved and the singleness you have become.” This was the blessed fruit of his life, his precious pearl of great price.
As incredible as it may seem (this would be the resistance stage that the world will have to the gnostic truth of my spiritual rebirth), I also experienced wholeness and singleness of self, which I creatively spelled out in my memoir Gurdjieff Was Wrong, But His Teaching Works; that’s how I came to solve the riddle of our paradoxical nature that bedevils everyone, especially philosophers and scientists alike, and it all has to do with what Jesus revealed in his cryptic teaching about making our two selves into one.
In he Gnostic Gospel of Thomas, the Master was asked by someone when the kingdom would come, and Jesus replied: “When the two will be one, and the outer like the inner, and the male with the female neither male nor female.” And Thomas goes on to say, “Now the two are one when we speak truth to each other and there is one soul in two bodies with no hypocrisy” (The Unknown Sayings of Jesus, by Marvin Meyer, p. 95); which simply means, at the risk of inviting ridicule and violent resistance, that we have to reconcile the false ephemeral consciousness of our ego/shadow personality with our inner soul self, which we can only do by living by values that are inherently self-transcending, as all the great spiritual teachers of the world like Jesus, Socrates, and Rumi have revealed; values like truthfulness, kindness, and goodness.
“These leaves, our bodily personalities, seem identical, /but the globe of soul fruit /we make, /each is elaborately /unique,” said the mystic Sufi poet Rumi, which speaks to what Carl Jung came to call the individuation process of the archetypal self of man; and herein lies the quandary that bedevils the world about God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife…

This is going to be a hard truth to swallow, but there is no other way of saying it: our essential self is our inner, true soul self, and our existential self is our outer, false self; and  those of us who have an innate belief in God, the immortal soul, and afterlife have been born centered in our essential self, or shift our “I” to our essential self in the course of living our life; and those of us who have doubts about God, the immortal soul, and afterlife have been born centered in our ephemeral self, or shift our “I” to our ephemeral self in the course of living our life, and by ephemeral self I mean the unresolved ego/shadow consciousness of our individuating essential soul self. In effect, we only have one I, but it is bifurcated; and our destined purpose is to reconcile our false ego/shadow self with our inner, true soul self.
This of course presupposes a belief in reincarnation (again, subject to the incredulity, if not violent resistance by some quarters like Christianity), because our ephemeral self is the unresolved consciousness of all the ego/shadow personalities that we have created over the course of our reincarnational history which we bring with us in our unconscious mind with every new life that we are born into; and it’s to the nature of our ephemeral self that determines why people have doubts about God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife.
But why? What is it about the consciousness of our ephemeral self that grows and evolves with the existential self of the ego/shadow personality of each new life we are born into that leads one to not believe in God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife? Why why why?
That was the quandary of my lost soul self that I expounded upon in The Summoning of Noman, but the short answer for today’s spiritual musing can be distilled from my experience of finding my lost soul, which should be convincing in itself but won’t be because, as Gurdjieff liked to say, “There is only self-initiation into the mysteries of life.” Nonetheless, the answer is simple enough, if totally incomprehensible to the cognitive mind; but how can one possibly believe in God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife if their ephemeral self is the I-consciousness of one’s non-being, the paradoxical self of one’s essential self?
The ephemeral self that everyone experiences in moments of deep despair as the unbearable sense of their own nothingness is ipso facto incapable of believing in God, the immortal soul, and the afterlife because it is the self of one’s own nothingness, and one cannot possibly believe in God, the immortal soul, and afterlife if they are centered in the consciousness of their non-being; the ontology of one’s own nothingness simply precludes it. Which explains why one would be an atheist.  
Our ephemeral self is the self of who we are not, the self of who we are yet-to-be, the unresolved non-being of our own being, the consciousness of our existential self that is only conscious of its own mortality and the consequent meaninglessness and absurdity of life that Shakespeare described as “a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing.” This is the same self that Sartre gave voice to when he said, “I am what I am not, and I am not what I am.” This is why he called man “a useless passion,” because he could not resolve the enantiodromiac dynamic of soul’s imperative to wholeness and completeness.
 In effect, this is what a lost soul is, a soul born centered in its ephemeral self; and if not born this way, it becomes this way according the values it has been brought up with or chosen to live by, values that compromise one’s destined journey to wholeness and completeness, values that serve the ego/shadow personality and not one’s inner, true soul self.
And, at the risk of offending the non-believer again, not until one has grown enough through the natural individuation process of karma and reincarnation and is ready to take evolution into their own hands to complete what Nature cannot finish will one be free to reconcile their ephemeral self with their essential self and become one self whole and complete; only then will this truth become self-evident. That’s the mystery of the human condition that the poet Emily Dickinson spoke to when she wrote: “Adventure most unto itself /The Soul condemned to be; /Attended by a Single Hound— /Its own Identity.”

———

          This is why I simply cannot get caught up in the gender politics and identity confusion of the LGBTQ community that called Professor Peterson to refute Bill C-16, the amendment to the Human Rights Act that would have compelled him to use gender neutral pronouns to identify whatever the gender variations wished to call themselves, because he felt—and rightly so, as most of us believe—that it was a violation of our freedom of speech, and he refused to be compelled by government fiat to use gender neutral pronouns that weren’t organic to the language. It was an obscene piece of badly reasoned legislation.
The established pronouns for the male and female genders (he/him/his, she/his/hers, they/them/theirs) were sufficient to define the gender binary reality of human nature, and he shouted NO! to the amendment Bill C-16 and was heard loud and clear by the common-sense folk who are sick and tired of all this identity politics and political correctness nonsense that has made a travesty of truthfulness and good-faith logic; and that’s what catapulted citizen Peterson onto the world stage. And then he published 12 Rules for Life: And Antidote to Chaos to push back the poisonous tide of postmodern neo-Marxist bad-faith logic that has fostered the mind-boggling chaos that is fueling identity politics and political correctness.
Of course, I’m speaking from a perspective that presupposes the reincarnational history of one’s personal identity, the many lifetimes of growth and individuation of one’s essential self that is genetically imbedded in the cellular memory of each new incarnation; this is why I’ve come to believe that this whole LGBTQ gender confusion issue has less to do with nature and nurture and more to do with the history of one’s own past lives.
In Seth Speaks, The Eternal Validity of the Soul, by Jane Roberts, the psychic who channeled the higher collective entity called Seth, Seth verifies this perspective:

“As I mentioned earlier, each person lives both male and female lives. As a rule, conscious memory of these are not retained. To prevent oversimplification of the individual with his present sex, within the male there resides an inner personification of femaleness. This personification of femaleness in the male is the true meaning of what Jung called the ‘anima.’
The anima in the male is, therefore, the psychic memory and identification of all the previous female existences in which the inner self has been involved. It contains within it the knowledge of the present male’s past female histories, and the intuitive understanding of all the female qualities with which the personality is innately endowed…Maleness and femaleness are obviously not opposites, but merging tendencies…The animus and anima are, of course, highly charged psychically, but the origin of this psychic charge and the inner fascination are the result of a quite legitimate inner identification with these personified other-sex characteristics. They not only have a reality in the psyche, however, but they are imbedded in genetically codified data by the inner self—a genetic memory of past psychic events—transposed into the genetic memory of the very cells that compose the body.
Each inner self, adopting a new body, imposes upon it and upon its entire genetic makeup, memory of the past physical forms in which it has been involved. Now, the present characteristics usually overshadow the past ones. They are dominant, but the other characteristics are latent and present, built into the pattern” (Seth Speaks, The Eternal Validity of the Soul, by Jane Roberts, pp. 219, 220, 221).

So, there’s more to personal identity than meets the eye then; and I’ve come to believe that this whole LGBTQ gender confusion issue stems from our past lives, as Seth confirmed.
But I worked this out for myself long before I found confirmation in my reading, and I’ve come to the conclusion that a soul that lives three or four consecutive lifetimes as a woman and is reborn as a male will have overshadowing memories of being a woman, and these memories of its female gender will push up into the mind of its male body; this is why a gay man will say, “I was born in the wrong body. I should have been a woman.” And the same with a soul that lives three or four consecutive lifetimes as a man and reincarnates as woman; it will have such strong memories of being a man that it will say, “I was born in the wrong body. I should have been a man.” This is what causes gender confusion; and as offensive as this may be to some people, I believe this is a deep soul-betrayal of one’s sexual identity and morally torturous for the LGBTQ person who cannot resolve their feelings of being the opposite gender. This is why Dr. Peterson calls trans people confused.
But to come to this perspective, one has to take evolution into their own hands and resolve their inner and outer self and become one self, whole and complete; and that speaks to the imperative of One Rule to Live By: Be Good, which has a way to go yet before I have enough context to do the noble virtue of goodness the justice it deserves…






No comments:

Post a Comment