Saturday, July 14, 2018

One Rule to Live By: Be Good. Chapter 11: On the Effect of Jordan Peterson's Message



CHAPTER 11

On the Effect of Jordan Peterson’s Message

“God,” said I, “be my help and stay secure;
I’ll think of the Leech Gatherer on the lonely moor!”
           
“Resolution and Independence”
—William Wordsworth

I’m not one given to despair, though I’ve had more occasions than I care to remember to do so; but whenever the spirit of this soul-sucking demon tries to possess me, I turn to one of my favorite poems to chase this demon back to hell where it came from—William Wordsworth’s devastatingly personal poem, “Resolution and Independence.”
Wordsworth was given to mood swings— “But, as it sometimes chanceth, from the might /Of joy in minds that can no further go, /As high as we have mounted in delight /In our dejection do we sink as low…” And it so happened that one morning when he went for a walk in the moors, as was his habit, he began full of cheer; but then despair began to set in, a despair so deep that it cast a devastating pall over his creative spirit— “We Poets in our youth begin in gladness, /But thereof come in the end despondency and madness.”
And here the poem takes a turn that speaks to the mystery of the merciful law of divine synchronicity (why the world refuses to see the miraculous choreography of the omniscient guiding principle of life continues to beggar my mind!), the poet comes upon a stranger, “The oldest man he seemed that ever wore gray hairs” whose indomitable spirit would chase  Wordsworth’s cursed demon back to hell where it came from, a lonely Leech Gatherer who seemed to the poet “Like one whom I had met with in a dream; /Or like a man from some far region sent, /To give me human strength, by apt admonishment…”
One has to read the complete poem to appreciate he healing grace that Wordsworth experienced from his synchronous experience with that decrepit old man “with so firm a mind” conning for leeches in the lonely moor just as his black demon possessed him but which could not withstand the might and dignity of that decrepit old man’s noble spirit and had to flee back to hell where it had come from, an experience that affected William Wordsworth so deeply that he made a point to remind himself of the Leech Gatherer on the lonely moor whenever his black demon tried to possess him again—“God,” said I, “be my help and stay secure; /I’ll think of the Leech Gatherer on the lonely moor!”

I intended to start this chapter with a thought that came to me on my drive to my hairstylist’s home yesterday morning, a thought which strangely enough was coincidentally confirmed by something she said to me while cutting my hair; but the creative impulse has a mind of its own, and I was compelled to introduce Wordsworth’s experience with the Leech Gatherer instead, and as preposterous as it may seem, I think I know why now.
On my drive to my hairstylist’s home (I can’t call her my barber, or hairdresser; so I opted for hairstylist), the thought came to me that the reason professor Peterson’s message—and there’s no doubt about it now, he does have a core message that he’s rendered from all of his maps of meaning and psychology lectures and years of clinical practice, a message of hope to stave off and transform the disruptive forces of chaos—has affected so many young people that have followed his lectures on YouTube and read his book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos and listened to his book tour talks and interviews, was not unlike the message that Wordsworth revealed in his poem “Resolution and Independence,” a message of how to deal with the influence of the dark shadow energies of one’s personality and the dark shadow energies of these crazy times. As a matter of fact, that’s why I suspect that the choreographer of life arranged for Donald Trump to become president of the United States (the odds were so against him that no one believed he would win without divine intervention), so the people of America could get a good hard look at the dark shadow side of the archetypal American personality that Donald Trump ensouled ad nauseum—the beam in their own eye, as it were; because only then can one integrate one’s shadow energy into one’s ego personality and become a whole person, because we have to see the shadow energies of our own life before we can deal with them, which is not easy to do because it takes moral courage to look into the dark corners of one’s own soul; and if I were to distill professor Peterson’s message for the world, and in particular to the wayward younger generation, it would be this: your shadow is real, and here’s how to integrate your shadow with your ego personality; ergo, 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chao. This is why I was compelled to introduced this chapter on the effect of Jordan Peterson’s message with Wordsworth’s poem, because it spoke the same hierophantic wisdom of Wordsworth’s poem and the good professor’s message to always try and be resolute and independent in one’s life. Bravo, Jordan!
But because the shadow is such an illusive creature, it behooves me to shine more light on the dark side of our personality with a spiritual musing that I wrote for my fourth volume of spiritual musings whose ironic title Penny provided for me, The Armchair Guru:

The Shadow Personality

            The best piece of advice that I got in my life came from a source I would never have imagined, because that just wasn’t my reality at the time; and although it pierced my heart with the deadly accuracy of a skilled swordsman, I had to laugh at the blissful sweetness of the humble monk’s advice that was revealed to me through a gifted psychic medium who channeled St. Padre Pio for my novel Healing with Padre Pio: “He told me to tell you to resist the urge to be right,” said the psychic medium.
In one blinding flash of insight, I saw through my tragic character flaw that was responsible for so much aggravation in my life; and every time I got the urge to correct someone, the Good Saint’s words popped into my mind and I had to bite my tongue.
I went to this gifted medium for a spiritual healing, and out of this experience came my novel Healing with Padre Pio; and had I not personally experienced what I did with the departed Capuchin monk who suffered the stigmata most of his adult life (fifty years of daily anguish), I would have questioned the reality of the whole experience. This is why I have taken Gurdjieff’s words literally that “there is only self-initiation into the mysteries of life.” But why did I have the urge to be right all the time? What was this compulsive need to correct people whenever I felt they were wrong?
I did it without thought, and it always got me into trouble because it set me apart as arrogant and insensitive; but I couldn’t help myself and did it anyway, because I was the victim of my own shadow. And that’s the subject of today’s spiritual musing, the shadow side of our personality…

The shadow is a Jungian concept. It is the dark, repressed side of our personality, and it is not who we think we are. The shadow is our false self, and it is both our damnation and salvation; but because our shadow resides in the unconscious part of our psyche we are blind to it, and we even resist the slightest hint of being made aware of our false shadow self because it threatens our perfect self-image
“The shadow by nature is difficult to apprehend. It is dangerous, disorderly, and forever in hiding, as if the light of consciousness would steal its very life,” wrote the co-editors Connie Zweig and Jeremiah Abrams in Meeting the Shadow, The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature; but not until we become aware of our shadow and integrate it into our conscious personality will we ever be a whole person, and happy. But where does the shadow come from, and why does it have so much power over us?
In all honesty, I had no awareness of my compulsion to be right all the time; but after the humble saint (no one can suffer the holy wounds of Jesus Christ for fifty years and not be humbled) brought it to my attention, I began to notice that I was not alone in my compulsive need to be right, and I soon began to see that this was a defining trait of the shadow personality.
Why, for example, would that Muslim woman that made the national news risk sabotaging her Canadian citizenship just to wear her niqab during the oath-swearing part of the ceremony if she did not believe that she was right in her religious conviction? What compelled her to take such a dangerous risk of not getting her citizenship if she was not under the influence of her shadow personality? Would her faith have collapsed had she shown her face while swearing allegiance to her new country during the oath-taking ceremony? Why would she do what she did if she wasn’t convinced that she was right in her conviction?
“The shadow personality develops naturally in every young child,” said Connie Zweig and Jeremiah Abrams; and they explain that children identify with ideal personality traits in their respective cultures to create a socially acceptable persona, and they repress all those qualities that their culture rejects into the shadow part of their personality because they don’t fit into their evolving self-image. So, “the ego and the shadow develop in tandem, creating each other out of the same life experience.”
But not only do we create our own ego and shadow personality out of our own life experiences, we also inherit our family shadow—the archetypal matrix of unresolved family karma, the consciousness of all those experiences that one’s family has repressed to the unconscious family psyche; and this can make our life very difficult depending upon our family’s karmic history, which is why it is written that the sins of the parents are visited upon the children. But, still, the mystery remains; why the urge to be right?
The Sufis have a saying: “There are as many ways to God as there are souls.” Which simply means that every soul is its own way to God. Would this be the source of my compulsive need to be right? Would this be why the Muslim woman risked her Canadian citizenship, because she believed her way was more right than the simple decorum of showing her face for the oath-swearing ceremony?
I suspect so, but I cannot solve this mystery on my own; and so, I’m going to call upon my muse to help me work out the answer…

Can a person live a lie and still be authentic? Let’s, for argument’s sake, say that we do not live one lifetime only but many lifetimes; and let’s further say that there is no eternal damnation in hell, that this is just a prop used by Christianity to keep people on the straight and narrow. And let’s say that one believes in sin and eternal damnation in everlasting hellfire, like I did in my Roman Catholic youth; wouldn’t that be my personal reality, then? But given my argument, my personal reality wouldn’t be real; it would be false. And by living a false reality, would I be authentic?
That’s the issue of the shadow personality: I would be authentic in my Roman Catholic belief, but my personal reality would be false (as I literally proved for myself with my quest for my true self); it would be my life-lie, which characterizes the shadow personality that is real in its falseness.
This is the mystery of human nature, which is paradoxical in its ontology because we are a complex mixture of the consciousness of the real and false, the being and non-being aspect of our ego/shadow personality; but some of us are more real than false, and some of us are more false than real, and if we are more false than real then our shadow has unconscious power over our conscious ego and can make our life difficult, like the Muslim woman whose religious convictions compelled her to risk her Canadian citizenship for her religious belief. No doubt she was genuine in her conviction that she had the right to wear her niqab while swearing the oath of allegiance to her new country, but was her personal reality real or false?
As someone wrote into the National Post, it seems that “her religious/cultural practices are more important than the cultural norms of her newly adopted country,” and although she was granted the right by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to not show her face during the public oath-taking ceremony for her citizenship, her behavior flew in the face of our Canadian Prime Minister, and many Canadians; myself included. But why, if not because she was a victim of her own recalcitrant shadow personality?
“If we don’t acknowledge all of who we are, we are guaranteed to be blind-sided by the shadow effect,” said Debbie Ford in her introduction to The Shadow Effect, co-written with Deepak Chopra and Marianne Williamson. “Our shadow incites us to act out in ways we never imagined we could and to waste our vital energy on bad habits and repetitive behavior,” she adds, which can throw one’s life into disarray as it did mine and the Muslim woman with our blind and foolish need to be right; but not since I became aware of that aspect of my shadow personality and began to integrate it into my conscious ego.
But, again, why does the shadow have this need to assert itself, which in my case was compulsive? Why did Padre Pio tell me to resist the urge to be right?
 “How can you find a lion that has swallowed you?” asked the psychologist Carl Jung, with playful humor; which is why he added that it takes great moral courage to see our shadow. By lion, Jung meant our unconscious shadow that has taken control over our ego personality, which I explored in my memoir The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway; and the conclusion that I came to was that the shadow has to assert itself to prove to the world that it is authentic and real, as Ernest Hemingway did ad nauseum to the despair of everyone who knew him, especially his third wife Martha Gellhorn who described the great writer as an apocryphiar and pathological liar and cruelest man she knew. And the more power the shadow has over our ego, the more real we think we are. This is why Debbie Ford wrote, “The conflict between who we are and who we want to be is at the core of the human struggle,” which was why my compulsive need to be right made my life miserable, and why St. Padre Pio told me to resist the urge to be right.
“The shadow,” said Connie Zweig and Jeremiah Abrams, “is both the awful thing that needs redemption, and the suffering redeemer who can provide it,” and not until we smelt the gold out of the dross of our shadow personality will we be whole, and happy.

———


I’m not quite finished reading his book yet, but without reading the rest of 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote for Chaos I can sum up Jordan Peterson’s core message in the same two words that reveal the message of Wordsworth’s poem: RESOLUTION & INDEPENDENCE, a moral imperative to take charge of one’s life and be resolute and independent; that’s how one can transform and stave off the inevitable forces of chaos. Hence the first rule of Twelve Rules for Life: ‘Stand Up Straight with Your Shoulder’s Back,” a vernacular and less poetic iteration of William Shakespeare’s aphoristic “Assume a virtue, if you have it not.”
I have no idea if Jordan Peterson writes poetry (like most creative people, I’m sure he’s dabbled in the genre), but given how he expresses himself in his lectures and talks, forever looking upward into the heavens whenever he’s stuck for a word or thought, it strongly suggests to me that he has the probing mind of a poet that he stretches to the limits of cognition and into the limitless horizons of his imagination; that’s why I see him as a hierophant.
In his brilliant essay, “A Defense of Poetry,” which he concludes with a line that has been rendered into a golden precept, Percy Bysshe Shelley wrote: “Poets are the hierophants of an unapprehended inspiration; the mirrors of the gigantic shadows which futurity casts upon the present; the words which express what they understand not; the trumpets which sing to battle and feel not what they inspire; the influence which is moved not, but moves. Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.” Why did Jordan Peterson speak up against Bill C-16, the amendment that now legislates Canadians to use gender neutral pronouns upon the request of the LGBTQ community, if not because he had the probity to refute that morally bankrupt amendment that was driven by identity politics and political correctness?
Professor Peterson may not be a poet by natural imperative, but he’s certainly a magnanimous poet in spirit; and it’s a blessing for the world that he should be speaking against legislation that curtails free speech. Shelley must be smiling in his grave…

No comments:

Post a Comment