Saturday, July 21, 2018

One Rule to Live By: Be Good, Chapter 12: The Mystique of Jordan B. Peterson


CHAPTER 12

The Mystique of Jordan B. Peterson

          Our life gives birth to its own wisdom through personal experience. By wisdom, I mean the sacred knowledge of life that nourishes our soul with meaning and purpose, and which for all intents and purposes can simply be called the Logos.
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines Logos as the divine wisdom manifest in the creation, government, and redemption of the world. Logos is also defined as the Word of God, or principle of divine reason and creative order, identified in the Gospel of John with the second person of the Trinity incarnate in Jesus Christ, which is why Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
By Father, Jesus meant Logos. This is why he said, “I and my Father are one.” Which did not make Jesus the sole savior of the world as Christianity contends; it made him one with the way, the redemptive wisdom of the Logos. In the most esoteric language possible, Jesus became his own way when he became one with the Logos; just as anyone can become their own way when they become one with the Logos. This was Christ’s message to the world.
In my efforts to become one with the Logos, I “worked” on myself with such a pathological commitment to my personal ethic (made up of Gurdjieff’s teaching, my Royal Dictum (my edict of self-denial), and my personal ideal of being good and kind and honest and truthful (God, was this ideal difficult to live by being in business for myself, which often called for Herculean moral integrity, and my conscience still stings with pain at the times I compromised my ideal for my business!) that I developed a sixth sense for hearing and seeing the Logos whenever it spoke to me through life experience, regardless of what I was doing—working, reading, writing, watching TV, or whatever; and I grew to understand what Jesus meant when he said that his sayings and parables were for those who had ears to hear and eyes to see, which became the inspiration for my intensely personal but highly imaginative novel Jesus Wears Dockers.
I never knew when the Logos (I didn’t call it Logos then; I simply recognized the sacred knowledge of life as the way, which I later discerned to be the secret way and omniscient guiding principle of life that became the imperative of my memoir The Merciful Law of Divine Synchronicity) would speak to me, but the more I nourished my soul with the sacred knowledge of the way, the more I grew in spiritual consciousness and put myself in danger of becoming infected with what I came to identify as the salvation bug, or  messiah virus.
Many people become infected with this treacherous virus, and there’s no shortage of stories of cult leaders that have seduced people with their teaching, like the leader of an offshoot Christian solar cult teaching that I lived for three years which did irreparable damage to my eyesight (the solar techniques burnt two tiny pin holes in the retina of my right eye and one pin hole in the retina of my left eye) before I recognized it for what it was when I flew to Reno, Nevada for a weekend seminar where I met the cult leader for the first time and shook his hand and instantly saw him for the deceitful manipulator that he was.
 But that’s a story I’ve reserved for my fiction (my working title is The Sunworshipper), if ever I get the courage to write it, as well as another spiritual teaching that I lived and studied for many years when Gurdjieff’s teaching had done all it could for me.
This was a New Age spiritual teaching that I finally walked away from when it had nothing more to teach me about the seductive power of Spiritual Masters, and I’m waiting impatiently to write about it (it plays a thematic role in my memoir The Pearl of Great Price); and the point of these humiliating disclosures is that gnostic wisdom comes with a heavy price, as the spiritual musing that I was called to write last year sadly illustrates:

Chemistry of the Soul

Friday, April 21, 2017, not yet summer but nearing the end of what the poet T. S. Elliot called the cruelest month of the year, a dull grey dismal day too cold to sit on the deck to have a tipple, or finish reading my book Paris Without End, The True Story of Hemingway’s First Wife, so I asked Penny if she wanted to watch a movie in the cozy comfort of my writing room.
She said yes, and I found a movie on Netflix called The Light Between Oceans, starring Michael Fassbender as the lighthouse keeper, whose portrayal of C. G. Jung in A Dangerous Method completely won me over, Alicia Vikander as the lighthouse keeper’s wife, whom I didn’t know, and Rachel Weisz who played the birth mother of the infant child in this poignant drama, and whom I fell in love with the first time I saw her starring with Ralph Fiennes in The Constant Gardner, and we cozied up in our two sofa reading chairs and watched the movie that so moved me to tears it stirred up the root of an idea that I’ve had gestating in my unconscious for several years, and that’s the subject of today’s spiritual musing….

I had unfinished business with Hemingway since I wrote The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway three years ago, or I would not have been called back to Hemingway by my relentless muse to write the sequel My Writing Life, Reflections On My High School Hero and Literary Mentor Ernest “Papa” Hemingway; and all of my new reading on the iconic writer whose simple prose introduced the modern world to a new style of writing was giving me a deeper insight into the enantiodromiac process of Hemingway’s conflicted ego/shadow personality, which was brought to light with spontaneous delight when the lighthouse keeper Tom Sherbourne in The Light Between Oceans had to wrestle with a moral dilemma that he knew in the pit of his stomach would one day come back to haunt him if he did not choose wisely, just as Hemingway did when he was torn between his deep love for his wife Hadley and the other woman he had fallen in love with, Pauline Pfeiffer who ended up becoming his second wife.
“That’s it!” I exclaimed, when the lighthouse keeper Tom Sherbourne chose against his gut feeling to comfort his grieving wife who had just suffered her second miscarriage, jarring Penny from her comfort. “That’s the human condition in action! That’s the grinding of the soul that makes for great literature! That’s the chemistry of the soul!”
Penny was puzzled by my outburst, but I was excited, as I always am when an idea for a spiritual musing springs free from my unconscious, and I shot out of my chair and jotted down the title of today’s spiritual musing in my Indigo Hemingway Notebook that Penny’s sister had given me for Christmas— “Chemistry of the Soul.”
But what was the lighthouse keeper’s moral dilemma that set this idea free, a moral dilemma that by miraculous happenstance was no less soul-wrenching and life-changing than Ernest Hemingway’s marital dilemma that I was just reading about again in Paris Without End, The True Story of Hemingway’s First Wife?
First, let me spell out what I mean by this exciting, gnosis-laden idea “chemistry of the soul,” and then I will explain how it was set free by the lighthouse keeper Tom Sherbourne’s moral dilemma that instantly brought to mind Hemingway’s marital dilemma that I was all-too familiar with and coincidentally just happened to be reading about again in Gioia Diliberto’s biography Paris Without End, The True Story of Hemingway’s First Wife.
The phrase “chemistry of the soul” just came to me out of the clear blue when I made the connection between the lighthouse keeper’s moral dilemma and Ernest Hemingway’s marital dilemma, but this is the phrase that my creative unconscious gave me to capture my spontaneous insight of what a moral dilemma can do to one’s soul, because I knew from all the reading I had done on Ernest Hemingway what his marital dilemma had done to him when he chose to betray his wife Hadley for his lover Pauline, which gave me the insight to foresee what the lighthouse keeper’s moral dilemma would do to him if he made a decision that went against his gut feeling; that’s why I burst out: “That’s the human condition in action! That’s the grinding of the soul that makes for great literature! That’s the chemistry of the soul!” Because I knew, I simply knew that the lighthouse keeper was going to put his soul through the grinding mill of life if he chose against his gut feeling, and he was going to suffer just as Ernest Hemingway suffered for choosing to go against his better nature when he chose to betray his loving wife for his seductive, inveigling lover.
“Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,” said Shakespeare; but why? Why would conscience, man’s moral center and guiding star, make cowards of us all if not for the onerous responsibility that goes with making a decision that conscience demands of us?
Hemingway’s conscience demanded of him the moral imperative to be true to his wife Hadley, which meant that he would have to fight off his sexual/romantic attraction for Pauline Pfeiffer; but he couldn’t. He wanted it all, and he was too weak to fight off his attraction for his lover.
That’s what made the budding young writer, who would one day win the Nobel Prize for Literature, a coward. Ironically, his moral cowardice caused the fatal wound in his soul that gave him the daemonic fuel for some of his best stories; that’s what I meant by “chemistry of the soul,” because Hemingway’s fatal wound ground his soul from lover to lover until he could bear himself no longer and he killed himself, and I knew that the lighthouse keeper Tom Sherbourne would put his soul through the same grinding mill if he capitulated to his grieving wife’s desire to keep the infant child that they found in the boat with her dead father that had washed up on the shore of Janus Island in Western Australia where he was the lighthouse keeper; he knew in his gut that they should seek out the infant child’s birth mother, but they didn’t, and that decision came back to haunt them. A story that made for a great novel by M. L. Stedman, which became a great movie by the same title, The Light Between Oceans.
Ernest Hemingway left his wife for his lover, and that decision haunted him for the rest of his life, which he sadly owned up to in his bitter/sweet memoir A Moveable Feast that he was still working on just before taking his own life with his favorite bird shotgun at his home in Ketchum, Idaho: “When I saw my wife again standing by the tracks as the train came in by the piled logs at the station, I wish I had died before I ever loved anyone but her.” He was reflecting on the decision he made to leave Hadley for Pauline, and he regretted it so much that he would rather have died had he known what his moral cowardice would do to him.
  I watched The Light Between Oceans with anxious anticipation, because I knew that once Tom Sherbourne and his wife Isabel decided to keep the infant child and raise it as their own instead of notifying the authorities that one day life would call them to account for their moral transgression; and that’s what I meant by “chemistry of the soul,” which is a poetic way of saying that life has a way of grinding down the moral grist of one’s soul, and I was no less angry at the lighthouse keeper for not being true to his conscience as I was for my high school hero and literary mentor Ernest Hemingway for betraying his faithful, loving wife Hadley for his calculating, seductive lover Pauline Pfeiffer. But then, where would we get our great literature from if not for the moral grinding of our soul?

———

            When Carl Jung wrote in The Red Book, “This life is the way, the long sought-after way to the unfathomable, which we call divine. There is no other way, all other ways are false paths,” I understood exactly what he meant, because I had exhausted many paths before I realized that life itself is the way to one’s true self; but how? And why?
These are the question that underlie the message that professor Jordan Peterson points to in 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos; and because he does not yet know the how and the why of the imperative of the way to one’s true self, his message bears the existential anxiety of unknowing. But the imperative of the way is and has always been to reconcile one’s outer life with one’s inner life to resolve the paradox of one’s enantiodromiac nature.
“Get your life in order!” exclaims the good professor to the young people who attend his lectures, and they resonate with the implicit redemptive message of the way but can’t quite apprehend the imperative of the way; and that’s the mystique of Jordan B. Peterson that imbues him with a charisma that mystifies everyone, including himself…











No comments:

Post a Comment