Saturday, November 10, 2018

One Rule to Live By: Be Good, Chapter 23: The Curse of Our Modern World


CHAPTER 23

The Curse of Our Modern World

The curse of our modern world is moral relativism, the nihilistic conviction that morality is relative, a “personal value judgement,” as the postmodernists would say; and it’s this pernicious belief that’s responsible for what Dr. Victor Frankl (Man’s Search for Meaning) called the “existential vacuum” that plagues our crazy modern world. But why, if not for the erosion of our spiritual values?
I have neither the learning nor interest to explore why this is so (that’s what academics like professor Jordan Peterson attempt to do), my concern has always been to find an answer to the haunting question of my life—who am I?
And having found the answer (which is the same for everyone, because we are all a divine spark of God), I can speak with the gnostic certainty of experience; and what I experienced flies in the face of postmodern thinking which, try as it may, cannot resolve the paradoxical riddle of man’s dual nature—our essential and existential self, if you will.
It’s not enough to simply dismiss the reality of our essential nature, because the longing in our soul for wholeness and completeness does not go away by denying the existence of our immortal self, it only makes it worse; because, like the mushrooms that have forced their way up through the solid asphalt of our new driveway that have caused me much consternation, so does our inner self have to force its way up through the fixed attitudes of our mind until it finally breaks through into the light of day where it can realize itself.
I could quote Wordsworth’s poem “Intimations of Immortality” to offer a poetic perspective on the state of man’s existential predicament— “Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting; /The Soul that rises with us, our life’s Star, /Hath had elsewhere its setting, /And cometh from afar; /Not in entire forgetfulness, /And not in utter nakedness, /But trailing clouds of glory do we come /From God, who is our home…”—but what good would that do? Who would care but the person who is so desperate to satisfy the longing in their soul for wholeness and completeness that they will grasp any straw that offers some measure of resolution; and that’s what I see today, that’s the cry I hear from authentic seekers like professor Jordan Peterson who’s pushing through the mindsets of our postmodern world.
It was a terrible presumption on my part to send him copies of my books which articulate my journey of self-discovery, and whether he reads them or not does not really matter to me (I have yet to hear from him, nor do I expect to); I was compelled by my inner guiding principle to send them to him, and I did. And then my oracle beckoned me to write One Rule to Live By: Be Good to build a bridge from the oppressive existential vacuum of our postmodern world to the undiscovered country of our soul, which I also do with every spiritual musing that I’m called to write, like the following musing on the bedeviling concept of moral relativism that retards soul’s journey to wholeness and completeness:

The Stupidity of Moral Relativism

Long before I began writing my spiritual musings, I wanted to write an essay on what I’ve always felt to be the bad faith of moral relativism; but yesterday afternoon, I don’t remember what time exactly, I was gripped by the thought of writing a spiritual musing on moral relativism, but instead of focusing on the bad faith I should focus instead on the false premise of moral relativism because it would be more reflective of the subjective/objective truth of morality that I realized in my own journey of self-discovery.
I say subjective/objective truth, because I had a singularly convincing experience that initiated me deep into the mystery of our essential nature, and it was because of this subjective experience that I came to realize the objective truth of our moral nature; and this is the premise of today’s spiritual musing…

Let me begin by addressing the central issue of moral relativism, the obvious objection that is sure to arise from what I’ve called the objective truth of our moral nature, which can be expressed in the following question that is at the very heart of the nihilistic philosophy of moral relativism: how can an objective truth come from a subjective experience? (Ergo, the false premise of moral relativism.)
A fair question. But one could discuss this issue until the end of time, which is why I dropped out of university in my third year of philosophy studies to find my own way in life, because I saw no end to the dialectical discourse that philosophy gives rise to, and in my quest for an answer to the question that set me on my journey of self-discovery (who am I?), I came upon Gurdjieff’s teaching of “work on oneself” that initiated me into the mystery of our essential nature that became the objective truth and moral compass of my life; and although I have written about this in The Summoning of Noman and The Pearl of Great Price, it behooves me to offer a Reader’s Digest version for today’s spiritual musing.
The experience that initiated me into the mystery of our essential nature presupposes the principle of reincarnation, about which I have neither the desire nor inclination to prove; because, whether one believes in it or not, reincarnation is central to the objective reality of our essential nature, our immortal soul which returns from lifetime to lifetime for the teleological purpose of realizing its full potential, like an acorn seed becoming an oak tree, and although this may appear to be a circular argument which brings us right back to the subjective uncertainty of moral relativism, the very nature of my singularly convincing experience confirms the objective truth of our moral mature and disclaims the false premise of moral relativism; this is why Gurdjieff said, “There is only self-initiation into the mysteries of life.” 
Which means, quite simply, that although my journey of self-discovery initiated me into the mystery of the objective truth of our moral nature, it is still a personal experience and the reason why I have called it a subjective/objective truth.
Here, then, is the experience that initiated me into the mystery of our essential nature and the objective truth of morality, an experience that will tax the credulity of most, if not all readers…

Following up on my belief in reincarnation, which was outside the inflexible paradigm of my Roman Catholic faith that I was born into and the source of years of personal conflict, I promised myself that one day I would explore my past lives like the historical novelist Taylor Caldwell did in Jess Stearn’s book that became the inspiration for my own past-life regressions, The Search for the Soul: Psychic Lives of Taylor Caldwell; and my opportunity came when my life partner Penny Lynn and I relocated to Georgian Bay, Ontario fourteen years ago when by “chance” I met a woman who did past-life regressions which inspired my novel Cathedral of My Past Lives that I’m going to publish when I feel the time is right.
I had planned to have ten past-life regressions, but I only had seven because seven regressions gave me more than enough information to answer the questions that haunted me about my current lifetime, questions like, why did I feel so out of context in my family? Why did I have a sexual fascination for older women? What was it about Gurdjieff’s teaching that compelled me to live it? And other questions about my life that I suspected were brought about by past-life experiences; and I was right.
I got the answers that I was looking for in my past lives, which cleared up why I felt the way I did growing up; but because I became a seeker at a very early age (in high school, actually; the spark combusting with Somerset Maugham’s novel The Razor’s Edge which I read in grade twelve), I became obsessed with finding an answer to the question who am I?
I cannot go into detail here, but in my early twenties I had a traumatizing sexual experience (impelled by my rakish past-life personality in Paris, France in 17th Century; I was known as “le salaud de Paris,” and I had enormous sexual power over women in the aristocratic courts of Paris) that brutally shocked my conscience from its primordial slumber and catapulted me into my quest for my true self, because I knew that the person who did what he did that night was not the real me; it was me, but not me, and I had to find the real me or die trying. And so committed did I become to finding my true self that I was willing to pay whatever price was asked of me, which I wrote about in my memoir The Pearl of Great Price.
To my total surprise (and my regressionist as well), in my fourth past-life regression I went back to the genesis of my essential nature: I was an atom in the Body of God where all new souls come from, the great Ocean of Love and Mercy as mystics refer to the ground of all Being. I was an atom of God without self-consciousness. I had consciousness, but no self-consciousness; and in the same regression, I went back to my first primordial human lifetime where I had evolved up the ladder of evolution into a higher primate with group consciousness but no reflective self-consciousness, and then the miracle happened.
I was the alpha male of a group of ten or twelve higher primates when I experienced the birth of a new “I” of God in the dawning of my reflective self-consciousness. It was a very rudimentary and low-resolution sense of self-awareness, but I experienced my own identity for the very first time in my essential existence; and this changed my life forever.
From the moment the new “I” of God was born, I had a separate existence from all life, and this separate existence initiated my personal karmic destiny that began the individuation of my essential self-consciousness; and from lifetime to lifetime, I evolved in my reflective self until my current lifetime when I was ready to end my cycle of karma and reincarnation and realize my divine nature, which I did with the help of Gurdjieff’s teaching and the sayings and parables of Jesus that I wrote about in The Pearl of Great Price.
And from my regressions to some of my other past lives, I learned how I brought my karmic self with me from one lifetime to the next, and I came to understand why I was so out of context with my family and why I had a sexual fascination for older women, plus many other things about my life that I would never have understood without my regressions; and as I wrote my novel Cathedral of My Past Lives, I connected the dots and realized that we all have a karmic destiny that we create by the choices we make in life, as well as a spiritual destiny that is encoded in our essential nature to become spiritually self-realized souls of God.
And I learned something else about our two destinies that solved the mystery of our paradoxical inner and outer nature: we can only realize our teleologically driven spiritual destiny through the resolution of our personal karmic nature, which we can only do by taking evolution into our own hands to complete what nature cannot finish by becoming karmically responsible for our own life; and this was the objective truth that I discovered from the subjective reality of my past-life regressions, because it finally dawned upon me that the immutable karmic law of corrective measures was an objective principle of life that governs all behavior, whether we are conscious of it or not, and this makes moral relativism stupid.
Nietzsche wrote, “You have your way, I have mine. As for the right way, it does not exist.” But he was wrong. The right way is implicit in all we do, and not until we learn to live our life with karmic responsibility will we be free of the curse of moral neutrality that blinds us to our essential nature; and learning the right way is what human evolution is all about.

———

Carl Jung was aware of the erosion of our spiritual values with the proliferation of our scientific worldview, which he addressed in his book Modern Man in Search of a Soul. He wrote: “I am persuaded that what is today of vital interest in psychology among educated people will tomorrow be shared by everyone. I should like to draw attention to the following facts. During the past thirty years, people from all the civilized countries of the earth have consulted me. I have treated many hundreds of patients, the larger numbers being Protestants, a smaller number Jews, and not more than five or six believing Catholics. Among all my patients in the second half of life—that is to say, over thirty-five—there has not been one whose problem in the last resort was not that of finding a religious outlook on life. It is safe to say that every one of them fell ill because he had lost that which the living religions of every age have given to their followers, and none of them has been really healed who did not regain his religious outlook. This of course has nothing whatever to do with a particular creed or membership of a church” (Modern Man in Search of a Soul, C. G. Jung, p. 229).
And this, ironically, is professor Jordan Peterson’s massive appeal today, especially to the wayward younger generation that has become uprooted and disconnected from the spiritual values that give life meaning and purpose; his lectures, talks, and immensely popular 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos have a way of burrowing through the mind and into one’s soul and planting seeds of hope that promise a better future.
Dr. Norman Doidge, who wrote the Forward to his good friend’s book, cleverly rendered Peterson’s12 rules for Life into one foremost rule that has the power to cast out the malicious spirit of moral relativism that has scourged our modern world and intimates the objective truth of my spiritual musing “The Stupidity of Moral Relativism”— “And the foremost rule is that you must take responsibility for your own life. Period.”  Now, if we only had a new paradigm to live by…

No comments:

Post a Comment