Saturday, December 8, 2018

One Rule to Live By: Be Good, Chapter 27: Jordan Peterson's Most Important Rule


CHAPTER 27

Jordan’s Peterson’s Most Important Rule

          If I heard it once, I heard it three or four times; when asked by interviewers on his international book tour which one of his 12 rules for life he thought was the most important, professor Peterson always replied, with a thoughtful look on his face that conveyed the gravity of his choice, that it would have to be Rule Eight: Tell the truth—or, at least, don’t lie. And I totally comply with his choice, because telling the truth keeps our false shadow self from growing into the monstrous beast that it can become, like it did in my high school hero and literary mentor Ernest “Papa” Hemingway. “He’s a pathological liar and the cruelest man I know, and I have known some very cruel men,” said his third wife, Martha Gellhorn.
This is why I sent the good professor my book The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway (“lion” symbolizes his ravenous shadow), and my sequel My Writing Lif, Reflections on my High School Hero and Literary Mentor, Ernest “Papa” Hemingway three years later, because I wanted to share with him my own insights into the shadow-possessed personality, which he was very familiar with given his clinical practice and in-depth research into the Soviet system and Nazi regime; and I also sent him The Pearl of Great Price and The Merciful Law of Divine Synchronicity, because they tell the story of how I integrated my shadow self with my ego personality and became one self whole and complete.
This, of course, is next-to-impossible to do when one’s ego personality is so thoroughly imbued with one’s false shadow self that one cannot tell the one from the other, which is why it is impossible to break free of the human predicament in one lifetime alone; but how can one break free of their false shadow self when the consciousness of their own nothingness denies the divine imperative of the transformative process of karma and reincarnation?
It’s only because I know this that I can tolerate the unconscious bad faith of some of Jordan Peterson’s most cynical critics, like Channel 4 News’s Cathy Newman. But as disappointing as Cathy Newman was, none of Peterson’s critics annoyed me more than the fiendishly devious Philip Dodd in the podcast Jordan Peterson & Philip Dodd on Free Thinking BBC May 2018. This man was so evil in his intent to paint Jordan Peterson a “Fascist mystic” that I had to hold myself back from screaming; that’s how much I detest the bad faith of the shadow-possessed personality. But was Philip Dodd aware of himself? Was he aware of his own false nature as the good professor and I and all good people were?
No, he wasn’t; he was being true to himself. But sadly, it was his false self that he was being true to. And it was this perception that inspired the following spiritual musing that will take me around the corner and begin the process of bringing this book home:

A Very Big Thought

“The good is the purest energy of God. Be good, do good,
and you will satisfy your longing for God.”
—Pythagoras

I have a very big thought that’s taken hold of me, and I fear being called to work it out in a spiritual musing. I don’t want to go there, because if I do I’ll be pulled into the deepest end of the pool; and that terrifies me no less than when I’m called to write a poem that sends chills up my spine, like my poem “Soul of a Liar” that captured the true spirit of the shadow personality—

Soul of a Liar

It’s not true, what they say about you,
it’s a lie like all the other lies that they say
about everyone they talk about, because
nothing they say can be trusted, —

Why is that?

They mean well, but they continue to lie
despite their good intentions, and they
never stop lying even when they
know that they are lying, —

Why is that?

They lie best when they tell the truth,
which is the mystery of the liar’s nature,
and not until they can no longer suffer
what they are will they stop lying, —

Why is that?

The central concept of this poem, which my muse worked out for me to apprehend the soul of a liar, was revealed in the paradoxical sentence: “They lie best when they tell the truth.” My insight pinned the devil down and forced it to yield its power, an insight that I could not quite articulate until I wrote this poem, thus confirming Zen poet Jane Hirshfield’s contention that poetry does our thinking for us.
I’ve always known that a shadow-possessed personality cannot be trusted, and by shadow-possessed I mean a person like my high school hero and literary mentor Ernest “Papa” Hemingway whose menacing shadow took over his ego and drove him into deep depression and suicide (his third wife Martha Gellhorn called him an apocryphiar and pathological liar, and all his friends knew he could not be trusted), which I explored in The Lion that Swallowed Hemingway and my sequel My Writing Life; but I could never quite give my gnostic awareness of the shadow-possessed personality the literary clarity it deserved (as far a poetry can be clear, that is) until I worked it out in “Soul of a Liar,” and this is what I’ve being called to do in this spiritual musing with my big thought on the gnostic way of life that has taken hold of me.
My big thought presupposes my life’s quest for my true self, and because my journey of self-discovery was born of my own life-experiences which I creatively worked out in more than twenty books into the quintessential gnostic truth of my life, I fear that by giving literary clarity to my big thought I may jolt the reader into a perspective they may not be ready to apprehend; but I am a servant of my muse.
It seems then that the quintessential gnostic truth of my life is what I’ve been called upon to explore in today’s spiritual musing, despite my trepidations; but where’s my point of entry? What gate will open to let me into the deep mystery of this simple gnostic truth?
No sooner did I ask this question and a quote from Albert Einstein popped into my mind, “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler,” and I know beyond a shadow of doubt that this is my entry point into the quintessential gnostic truth of my life; because, after years of inspired reading, studying, and living and writing about the secret way of life, I’m left with the simple gnostic truth that the ultimate purpose and meaning of life is to simply be a good person, because being a good person embodies all ways in life, both secular and spiritual, into one’s destined purpose of wholeness and completeness.
There, I’ve said it; now all I have to do is unpack it. And that’s where trepidation sets in, because the simplicity of this gnostic truth can burn a hole in one’s mind like a laser beam of pure intention that cuts through all the precious vanities of one’s life and set soul free from the all the delusions of one’s ego/shadow personality, and this no one wants to do for fear of self-negation (For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.” said Jesus); hence my apprehension. But why? Why must one fear being good a person? What is it about being good that terrifies people?
No sooner did I ask this and Saint Augustine popped into my mind with his famous supplication, “Lord, make me chaste, but not yet.” But just to make sure that I remembered the quotation correctly, I Googled St. Augustine and learned that the original Latin translation of his famous saying was, “Make me good, god, but not yet.” Which is even better yet, because the original Latin translation gives synchronistic confirmation to the theme of today’s musing, which I can render into one simple question: why be good?
Why was St. Augustine torn between being good and not being good? What was this dilemma that tortured his soul? He did not want to sacrifice his concupiscence (he loved sex too much), but to be good he had to tame his beast of lustful desire; that’s why he was torn in two, and he suffered unbearable anguish and soul-wrenching torment: hence his famous Confessions.
St. Augustine’s Confessions is one of the most moving pieces of writing the world has ever seen, and to be honest I cannot bear reading this book. His abject sycophancy to God turns my stomach. Which is why I walked away from my Roman Catholic faith to become a seeker at such an early age; I could not prostrate myself in abject submission to the God of Christianity like St. Augustine, and I had to find my own way to my true self. And after years of living the secret teachings of the way that I first discovered in Gurdjieff’s teaching through Ouspensky’s book In Search of the Miraculous, my own eclectic individual way eventually wrought out the gnostic way of life by simply being a good person.
But this does not preclude any other way, either secular or spiritual, to one’s destined purpose of wholeness and completeness, because all ways lead to one’s true self eventually; and what my big thought is trying to tell me is this: all ways in life lead to the simple way of being a good person, because goodness engages the transformative process of reconciling one’s soul with one’s ego/shadow personality, which is the only way to wholeness and completeness.
I would never have arrived at this simple gnostic truth had I not had the experiences to support it, but it’s to the nature of these experiences that brings my gnostic truth into question, because my experiences were so far outside the scope of normal human experience that no one would believe me if I revealed them; but I have revealed them in my books Gurdjieff Was Wrong, But His Teaching Works and The Pearl of Great Price, and it behooves me to reveal them here to support the premise of today’s spiritual musing.
I had four inexplicable experiences in my life that connected the dots and solved the riddle of the meaning and purpose of our existence: 1: I had an experience in the early stages of my quest for my true self of going back through time where I experienced the inception of life on Planet Earth when Soul, the I Am consciousness of God, animated the amino acids, the first building blocks of life that were formed when gaseous vapors from the lifeless planet rose up into the air and mixed with gaseous vapors in the sky, thereby initiating the life process in the world. 2: Years later, I had a past life regression to the infinite Body of God where all souls come from. I was an atom of God with no reflective self-consciousness, an embryonic soul waiting to be born in the world. 3: In the same regression, I was sent into the world to process the vital life force, the un-self-realized I Am consciousness of God, into a new “I” of God through natural evolution, and I experienced the birth of my own reflective self-consciousness in my first primordial human lifetime as the alpha male of a small group of ten or twelve higher primates; and from lifetime to lifetime, I continued to evolve in my reflective self-consciousness until I was ready to take evolution into my own hands to complete what nature could not finish. And finally, 4: In my current lifetime, I found the secret way of life first in the teachings of Gurdjieff and then in the sayings and parables of Jesus, and I transformed the consciousness my ego/shadow personality and became my true self, thus completing what Nature could not finish.
These unbelievable experiences informed me that we are all atoms of God, sparks of divine consciousness as the poets say, souls encoded with God’s DNA; and we are all destined to realise a separate and distinct identity, a new “I” of God, which we do through natural evolution from one lifetime to the next until we are ready to take evolution into our own hands and complete what natural evolution through karma and reincarnation cannot finish. This is the meaning and purpose of our existence.
Every soul will eventually come to see that Nature cannot complete the process of self-realization, and one must take evolution into their own hands to fulfill their destined purpose of becoming what they are meant to be, which after years of living the secret way of life led me to see that being a good person will complete what Nature cannot finish, because goodness is the sum of all virtues which transforms our ego/shadow personality and makes our inner and outer self into one self, whole and complete; but to explain the individuation process goes beyond the scope of today’s spiritual musing, and if I’m called to expound upon the transformative power of goodness I will happily do so, but again with trepidation.

———

            Wouldn’t you know it, then! This is why I was called to write One Rule to Live By: Be Good. This book was born of my own creative imperative, and it doesn’t really matter that it was inspired by professor Jordan Peterson’s call to destiny with his defense of free speech that impelled him to share his own way in 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos; when one is called by life, one is called by whatever means necessary to fulfill their destined purpose. So, I’m grateful for the good professor’s inspiration; but I would have written a book like this regardless, because my oracle always has its way with me…




No comments:

Post a Comment