Saturday, January 11, 2020

Poem for the week: "Where Has My Humanity Gone?"



Where Has My Humanity Gone?

Apathy: lack of feeling, emotion, and interest.
But the news never stops, people keep dying,
suffering never ends, and my heart shuts
down; and that’s not fair.

I want to care. But my heart’s not responding,
and that scares me. Where is the filling
station for my heart center, a place to plug
my heart into caring?

And where is AI in this predicament? Damn!
Another plane crash yesterday. 176 people dead.
No survivors. Engine failure. This morning, the
news suspects an Iranian missile strike.

My poor heart. I really do want to care, but the
news makes it so difficult. But it’s not the
news; it’s the people. What’s wrong with this
world? What’s wrong with me?

Where can I find a station to plug in my heart
center? Where is the fuel for my feelings of love,
sympathy, and compassion? I don’t know what
to do. Where has my humanity gone?

It’s cold and lonely when I stop caring, and I don’t
like feeling this way. I want my humanity back,
and I’ll do whatever it takes to start caring again,
because I want to believe in my fellow man.

Perhaps more gratitude and gestures of kindness
can refuel my heart center with enough caring to
take away the sting of bad news that inures me to
suffering, and I can reclaim my humanity.

Perhaps?



No comments:

Post a Comment