Saturday, April 25, 2020

Poem for the week: "A River of Woe"


A River of Woe

There’s a river of woe running
through this world, and everywhere
people, friends and neighbors, are
in agony as COVID-19 runs through
their lives. A college student in Ohio
is gripped by deep depression: “My
future, which seemed so bright a few
months ago, seems bleak and hopeless
today.” And a college junior from
Pennsylvania said: “I’ve spent days
crying alone and feeling helpless stuck
at my parents’ house.” And seniors
in nursing homes, who are hit hardest
with this pernicious virus and cannot
see their children and grandchildren,
a wrenching loneliness that tears their
hearts apart. A woman in Dallas lays
bare her soul as this river of woe runs
through her: “I’m terrified for myself
and my family and everyone in the
world. All the things I love to do, now
I’m afraid to do.” The stress of this
pandemic is draining everyone. A lady
in Oak Park, Illinois cries: “Why am
I suddenly afraid of the mail carrier
or the food delivery?” And an atheist
in Philadelphia prays daily, but he does
not know to whom he is praying. But
character is forged in the smithy of
our soul as we’re forced to see that all
of this grief is teaching us about who
we truly are; only then can we ride this
global pandemic to a new perspective
and accept that we are all in this
river of woe together.

No comments:

Post a Comment