Saturday, May 2, 2020

Poem for the week: "No Sadder Love"


No Sadder Love

Like a seed sown in fertile ground that
cannot grow without water and sun,
that’s the story of Far from Heaven, the
Hollywood movie of a 1950’s suburban
couple, “Mr. and Mrs. Magnatech,” apple
pie all the way, with a boy and girl and
split-level home in the best part of town,
and autumn leaves strewn on the ground
as the perfect couple’s black gardener
tends to their yard; but the golden couple’s
husband is gay and can no longer bear
to make love to his faithful wife, and she
has fallen for her widowed gardener, but
gay and interracial love is not permitted
by their culture, and with tears in my eyes
as the movie ended with the perfect wife
waving goodbye to her beautiful gardener,
I turned to the love of my life, my heaven
whose love I won by breaking convention,
and said to her, “There is no sadder love 
than the love that could have been.”

No comments:

Post a Comment