Saturday, May 23, 2020

Poem for the week: "One Moment of Spontaneous Joy"



One Moment of Spontaneous Joy

There was more love in her tears of joy
than in a thousand love letters written
across oceans, a joy so sweet it made
me proud to have been brought to my
knees when she had her ruptured brain
aneurysm surgery at St. Michael’s in
Toronto, and I held her tenderly in my
arms when she rose from her wheelchair
in the lobby of Georgian Bay Hospital
in Midland, surprised by her emotions;
but I KNEW her tears of joy confirmed
her love for me, and all of our years
together (not to mention our lifetime as
man and wife in Genoa, Italy when I
betrayed her love) came to a head when
she burst into tears when she saw me
waiting to take her home from her bowel
obstruction surgery, revealing to me
with poetic imagery that the love of my
life had finally digested my love for her
and gave it all back to me in one
moment of spontaneous joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment