Saturday, October 31, 2020

Poem for the week: "A Long Way to Go Yet"

 

A Long Way to Go Yet

 

I invested a lot of time and energy

reading his books and listening to his

podcasts and interviews and writing my

own book One Rule to Live By: Be Good,

inspired by his bestseller 12 Rules for Life:

An Antidote to Chaos, but the questing

psychology professor no longer called

to me; not because he stopped being one

of the most fascinating intellectuals

of the 21th Century, but because he had

given up his secret and had nothing more

to say to me but novel iterations of the

same wisdom, following his successful

bestseller with the hopeful sequel Beyond

Order: 12 More Rules for Life. But I

refused to admit it, until something Jung

said reminded me of how he lost interest

in people when he discovered the secret

that made them who they were, the divine

mystery of soul-making essential to his

psychology of individuation, a secret so

sacred that it led him to say, in a moment

of exasperation, “Thank God I am Jung,  

and not a Jungian!” And I moved on from

the mentoring professor, knowing full well

that as far as his heroic path had taken

him, he had a long way to go yet.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment