Saturday, July 22, 2023

A REQUIEM FOR JOHN UPDIKE

 

Was He too Good to be True?

 

I’m done, well-done, burnt by the genius

of his protean talent, a giant who strode

the distant horizons of his mind in search

of that “open sesame” to his wholeness

and completeness; dying, 87% satisfied

in his prodigious enterprise to answer “the

crucial question” of his life—phrased to

capture every soul’s imperative: “Why

am I me? What an adventure, this Jungian

exercise of Talking with John Updike on the

blank pages of my mind; archetypal reality,

pure fantasy, who can say for sure? It’s

over; my lifelong fear of reading him,

gone. A deep dive into his life and work,

beginning March 28, 2022, ending May 25,

2023; and I owe it all to my tenacious pride.

Gifted beyond his own expectations, he gave

the world such a dazzling glimpse of the

human condition that he left me wondering,

was he too good to be true?

 

Composed in Georgian Bay,

Sunday, July 16, 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment