Saturday, July 15, 2023

New poem: "A Bouquet of Wild Flowers"

 

A Bouquet of Wild Flowers

 

Cathy Lynn asked me the check the Bread Maker

yesterday morning, which occasionally has a tendency

to not knead the dough completely; but I got lost deep

in thought as I wrote my daily poem (I blame Robert

Bly for this addictive habit), and I forgot. I went to work

upon completing my poem (Robert By does not have

a day job); but when I came home for my coffee break,

I smelled the bread and remembered what I was supposed

to do. I opened the Bread Maker door expecting to see

a leavened loaf nicely baking; but instead, my eyes

beheld an ugly lump of dough struggling for its integrity,

and guilt possessed me. I left the loaf to bake, hoping

some miracle would make it rise; but just in case the God

of Bread did not hear my prayer, I stopped on my way

home for lunch and picked a bouquet of wild flowers.

When I walked into the house, I heard disappointment

in Cathy Lynn’s voice as she called my name; but before

she told me about the bread, I handed her the cheerful

bouquet and said, “I forgot and I’m sorry and these are

for you.” Her face lit up with love as it always does when

I surprise her the way I do; and when she left for work

after lunch, she smiled and said to me, “You’re such a joy

to live with. I’ll put on a fresh loaf when I get home.”

 

Composed in Nipigon, Ontario

Date unknown: 1990-2000

No comments:

Post a Comment