Saturday, March 2, 2024

New poem: "The Golden Heart Pendant"

 

The Golden Heart Pendant

 

Fate kindly brought us together. She, hurting

badly from her teenage son’s accidental

drowning when his snowmobile went through

the ice, and her separation from her alcoholic

husband, and me from an emptiness within

that could only be filled with a mature woman’s

love; and she delighted taking a lithe young

man into her arms, and I an older woman’s

sweet comfort. But as time went by, the emptiness

within began to disappear, my hurt healing

faster than hers, and I knew that soon it would

be time for us to part; but I did not have the heart

to break up, and I asked my inner guide for help.

Then my lover had a dream, losing the golden

heart pendant that I had given her for a birthday

gift, and she panicked and woke up. Relieved

to know it was only a dream, all the same she wore

the pendant every single day; but her dream had

prepared her for what was to come, and when

she read the letter that I placed in her hand telling

her why we had to part, she cried, I cried, and we

hugged a tearful goodbye. We both hurt, she much

more than me; but the wrenching hurt of breaking

up was a good hurt, because in her broken heart

she knew our love was true but not meant

to be, and we parted with dignity.

 

Composed in Nipigon, Ontario

Date unknown: 1990-2000

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment