Saturday, October 22, 2016

NOT MY CIRCUS, NOT MY MONKEYS: Five new poems...

31

Memories of My Mother

Another one of life’s ironic moments—
        my curmudgeon neighbor across the street
with his long-handled dandelion weeder
       hunched over like an ogre on the hunt for
the pesky yellow flower, and me on my front deck
        reading in my Saturday’s Globe & Mail “What
you can do to help bees,” featuring the new attitude
       adopted by Hog Town, Toronto the Good now
dubbed “Bee City,” urging Torontonians to convert
       their lawns into habitats for pollinators, rallying a
cry to all city gardeners to forget the pesticides
       and let the dandelions sprout. I put my paper down
and stared at my snowbird neighbor in his baggy
       shorts and loose-fitting Florida shirt ogre away
on our resplendent spring flower, summoning long
       forgotten memories of my mother hunched over
in our yard and neighbor’s lawn with an old kitchen
       knife and brown paper bag gathering fresh dandelion
leaves which she would rinse and sauté with olive
       oil and garlic for our dinner, but which I liked best
in a thick sandwich with mom’s freshly-baked
       round crusty Calabrese bread.


32

My Journal

Where do you go when you need comfort?
To your partner, mother, father, brother, sister, or good
friend who will listen to your woes and offer you kindness
and understanding; and if you have no-one to turn to,
what do you do?

Life never runs smoothly. We would like it to,
but on the whole life is all about transitions; and when
we’re lulled into believing that life is going smoothly, out
of nowhere we’re hit with a new transition, and we’re
off to the races again.

That’s what happened to me yesterday, picking up branches
and twigs from our yard from our long winter’s passing,
my heart just wasn’t up to the task and I exhausted myself
much more quickly than I expected; so I sat on my deck
to catch my breath, full of apprehension.

I so miss the use of my body, the never-ending stamina
that kept me going from morning till night, and I so miss
my long distance running that turned rotten days into
good ones; it’s just a memory now, but what a glorious
memory, and I thank God for my endeavor.

I’m aware of life’s transitions, and I never fight the march
of time—that’s foolish madness; but all the same, it’s nice
to have someone to talk to when the hammer comes crashing
down; that’s why I turned to my journal this morning
and poured my heart out for a little comfort.

My journal is my best friend, always there to hear what I have
to say; and, at the risk of revealing a secret, my journal always
talks back to me. The voice that speaks is not my own—I know
my own voice, surely; and as I pour my heart out, my journal
always comforts me just by listening.


33

That’s Poetry.

I picked up Keats this morning,
        and then Shelley, but I wasn’t in the mood
for either; and I picked up Immortal Poems
       of the English Language, but I decided to
make coffee instead; and as I waited for
       my coffee I browsed through a word book:
30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary—
        the more words we have, the better we can
express ourselves, indispensable for a poet;
       but my heart wasn’t in it. I poured my coffee
and took a sip and pondered my situation:
       words, words, and more words. Knowledge,
knowledge, and more knowledge, and “to the
       making of many books there is no end and
much study is a weariness of the flesh” said the
       Preacher in Ecclesiastes, and we’re back to
where we started. I opened my book on the
       immortal poems and read Shelly’s Ozymandias
to give clarity to my feelings: it’s not how
       many words we know, it’s how we put
them together. That’s poetry.


 34

The Old Gadfly’s Mission

The Old Gadfly of Athens had an Oracle,
        the sign of a voice that he called divine,
and it came to him when he was a child
        to tell him what not to do. It never told
him what to do, because he had free will;
         his Oracle spoke to him only when he
strayed too far from his mission to free
       soul from its prison. I, too, have an Oracle
that speaks to me; but it never tells me
       what to do or not to do because my Oracle
is my own free will; and the more I exercise
       my free will, the more my Oracle speaks
to me. But when I get myself into a pickle,
       I curse the gods like an errant boy and
get myself on track again to bring more
        clarity to the Old Gadfly’s mission
of freeing soul from its prison.


35

An Old French Proverb

FREQUENCY is the world’s new TEACHING,
And INTUITION our new teacher; no more
willful intention to manifest desire with
the Law of Attraction—yesterday’s guarded
secret; ATTENTION will suffice to materialize
desire into being. And if our world suddenly
falls apart, we can piece it together better
than ever with a higher vibration; but raising
our frequency is the new mystery, and when
everything is said and done the new TEACHING
is no different from the old, the same wine in
a new bottle. As the French are fond of saying,
“Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.”













No comments:

Post a Comment