Saturday, October 8, 2016

NOT MY CIRCUS, NOT MY MONKEYS: Five new poems...

21

I Am Where I Want to Be

No more questing in the dry pages
of lost horizons, or climbing mountains
in the Hindu Kush searching for a fantasy;
and no more meditating in walled Tibetan caves
or collecting wild honey like a mendicant Sufi,
because I am where I want to be.

I could be sunning on a sandy beach in Florida,
cycling in Province, or sipping espresso in Tuscany,
exploring new writers for new thoughts and taking
up hiking or hobbies like Tai Chi and Mediterranean
cooking, but life no longer beckons me because
I am where I want to be.

Not every acorn that falls off the oak will grow
into its own tree, only the seeds that take root will
become what they are encoded to be; so it is with
every soul that takes root in the humble soil of
its own garden, growing where it has been
planted to become what it’s meant to be.
  
22

Self-Murder

The lady was in tears:
she could not negate
the self she had become
trying desperately to undo
millions of years of evolution,
to her Master’s indifference
who responded with a coldness
that made my blood boil.
“Try harder,” said the Master,
but the harder the lady tried
to negate her own identity,
the more her soul resisted;
and in despair, she overdosed
on sleeping pills to become
one with Non-Being just
to please her Master
of Nothingness.

 23

Lunch with a Friend

I stopped in just to say hello to my friend
and neighbor who had come up from Toronto
to his cozy cottage in Georgian Bay that he
had built with his own hands. Born in Calabria
where I came from with my family when I
was five, Tony and I made wine together last
summer and shared it over the winter and
spring, and we’ll be making wine again in
the new season, and when I dropped in from
my bike ride he was roasting some lamb on
his barbeque, along with mushrooms and
red peppers, and he invited me to lunch with
him and Maria whose husband died of cancer
a few years ago. My friend’s wife dropped
dead of a heart attack while building the cottage,
and after five or six years of a bad relationship
with a Sicilian widow who couldn’t control her
drinking, he met Maria at a wedding reception
for a mutual Italian acquaintance, and now
they live together for companionship as many
widows often do, which took their children
time to get used to; and with each passing year
they grow more intimate and respectful of each
other’s quirks and habits and even laugh at
them now in front of me. Lunch was a simple
feast of love of food and sharing, an Italian
custom like no other, and I had to politely stop
Maria four or five times from over-serving me,
reminding her of my mother saying to guests
at our family table, “Manga, manga.” I loved
the freshly-picked asparagus risotto with the
barbequed lamb, large-capped mushrooms,
and long red peppers, and the simple lettuce
salad with salt and pepper and oil and vinegar
dressing, and crusty Calabrese bread just like
my mother used to make every Wednesday
morning to soak up all the juices from my plate,
and a glass of red wine to toast our lunch and
friendship; and, what I really enjoyed because
Penny and I don’t drink it at home, a tiny cup
of espresso coffee with a drop of Anisette and
a tiny spoonful of sugar, and after lunch Tony
and I sat in his garage with the door wide open
soaking up the spring sun and talking, I mostly
listening to his life story, wishing that my father
had been as adaptive and resourceful, and I
couldn’t have asked for a nicer neighbor in
our new home in Georgian Bay.

 24

The Coiled Serpent of My Soul

I didn’t plan it, nor could I have done so:
when the time is right life gives birth to new
meaning in the experience, and writing my last
inspired musing took me by surprise; not that
I wanted it to be my last, they had served the
purpose they were born to serve and the coiled
serpent of my soul sprung with such surprise that
I was awash in a soothing balm of calm—no more
demands to feed the hungry beast that turned its
nose at the banquet table of sacred purpose, no
more waiting for the divine bird to light upon the
branches of my mind; just the resolve that it was
time to move on to another path to serve the soul 
of the great unwashed: poetry, stories, and novels 
to warm the cold beast’s heart, and one wonders 
why the secret is kept secret from the masses 
that want the truth but can’t bear it when
it is served to them on a platter.
  
25

Weasel Words

It’s not the word you have to blame,
by calling it a weasel; the poor creature
did no harm. He sucks the meat out
of the egg to honor its instinct for
survival and is true to its own nature;
but man—o, what a paradox he is!
who is both what he is and what he is
not, and when he sucks the meat out
of words to have his cake and eat it too,
it’s not the word that is to blame by
calling it a weasel, but the man
for his deception.













No comments:

Post a Comment