Saturday, October 29, 2016

NOT MY CIRCUS, NOT MY MONKEYS. Five new poems...

36

Dinosaur Man

Dinosaur Man is dying,
not of disease or hunger,
but of fear of letting go
of his dinosaur body;
and as he gasps for air
he screams in anger and
rallies his strength to
stay alive. But Dinosaur
Man cannot stop the flow
of time, which is a cosmic
function, and as his body
quickens with the higher
frequency of service to life
and not himself he fights
to hold onto his power;
but time speeds on, and
one day, hopefully sooner
than later, Dinosaur Man
will be an artifact.

 37

The Poet’s Mystique

What does the poet know
that the rest of the world
doesn’t?

Why does the world flock
to poets for the right
sentiment?

And why are poets
so difficult to understand
until we probe them?

Not everyone loves poetry,
but those that do cannot
get enough of it, —

Why is that?

 38

Bob and Carol

They made a truce again
to not argue the whole day;
but the more wine they drank,
the more contentious
they became.

My mother made fried patties
with left-over mashed potatoes,
which I loved dearly, and I made
fried patties with left-over rice
and mashed potatoes too.

The evening was getting on,
and the wine was running low,
so Penny went into the house
and got more wine and a plate
of my rice and potato patties.

Bob and Carol are long retired,
and look for things to do;
Carol goes out shopping every day,
and Bob stays home and fiddles
about with little projects.

Couples argue for no apparent reason
other than to be right in their opinion,
and the more Bob and Carol drank
the more contentious they became
over my fried patties.

“They’re made with mashed potatoes,”
contended Bob, who was born to be right;
and to hold onto her precious ground
Carol downed her wine and countered,
“They’re made with cooked rice.”

They broke their truce again that day,
as they fought for their opinion;
and when I told them that my patties
were made with left-over risotto rice
and mashed potatoes, they failed
to see the irony.

39

My Stolen Book

GREAT SHORT STORIES FROM THE WORLD’S
LITERATURE, and stamped inside the front cover
of the book: Property of Nipigon Red Rock District
High School, which I stole five decades ago.

I love books, and I never tire of collecting them,
especially books on great literature, my favorite
passion; but I failed to see why I was so possessive
of the books I gathered like a greedy hoarder.

Penny finished reading the book she had picked up
on her weekend getaway to New York City with
her two sisters, REPORT FROM GROUND ZERO, and
she went through my library and selected the book
I stole in grade twelve for her next read.

“These are the best of the best,” I said to her, with a
strange feeling of nostalgia; but when I went back
to work on my new poem, I felt a storm brewing inside
me. Not knowing what it was, I poured this feeling into
“Bob and Carol” and ensouled my poem with its own
mystery—the gnostic secret of great literature.

Penny read the first two stories this morning, “The
Passover Guest” by Sholom Aleichem, and “A Passion
in the Desert” by Honore De Balzac, and she enjoyed
them as much as she enjoyed Alice Munro that I had
introduced her to when she won the Nobel Prize for
Literature in 2013, and this didn’t surprise me.

But a weird feeling came over me when she showed me
the duct-taped copy of my stolen book this morning, and as
I walked down the stairs for my second cup of coffee it hit
me why it bothered me for her to read GREAT SHORT
STORIES FROM THE WORLD’S LITERATURE.

It wasn’t my stolen book that I fetished, nor the enviable
artistry of the great short stories, but their hidden treasure;
and the idea of her reading my stolen book threatened me,
not for the precious life wisdom of the stories, but for my
fear of her discovering in them my most coveted secret
which I spent a lifetime ferreting out like a blind mole
in the soul of the world’s great literature.

 40

Master of Broken Boundaries

Surfing the channels on TV one night I saw
the title Another Woman, which I had seen
before; but I was so intrigued the first time
that I decided to watch it once more.

I hate Woody Allen, who has mastered the
art of broken boundaries; but he wrote
and directed Another Woman, and I have
nothing but respect for his artistry.

It’s not so much his cloying angst, which grows
more peevish with every new movie that he
makes, that exasperates me; but his seductive
sense of unbounded willful selfishness.

“The heart wants what the heart wants,” Allen
justifies his personal ethics, which he projects
upon the screen of life, and he quotes Nietzsche
and Jean Paul Sartre to support him.

Jena Rowlands is the other woman in the move
Another Woman, reflecting Allen’s recurring theme
of broken boundaries, and the story breaks when
Rowlands sees her stupefying self-deception.

But that’s the secret of Woody Allen’s longevity,
his wanton exploitation of man’s vulnerable nature;
and not until this peevish little man respects moral

boundaries will I ever stop hating him.

No comments:

Post a Comment