Sunday, August 30, 2020

Sunday poem: "The Full Measure of the Man"


The Full Measure of the Man

Such was my insight into Tony`s
life as he ate his Bucatini in homemade
marinara sauce, followed by a potful
of mussels, all washed down with three
glasses of wine, all the while telling me
stories of his life in Italy and Canada;
and I listened with excited attention
to my good neighbor and friend, whose
life was so fraught with experience and
meaning that I had to wonder why his
children could not see the full measure
of the man before me who had come
to this strange new country to forge
a life for himself; and when he finished
dinner (I dropped over with a generous
piece of Ontario peaches pie that my
love had just taken out of the oven),
he made us a nice cup of Espresso that
he always drank straight (very much
like he lived his life) and I with a tiny
spoonful of sugar and drop of Anice,
and I smiled to myself when my muse
spoke to me: when you get to know one
person well, you know the whole world;
and I left my neighbor and good friend
more sated by my company than with his
Bucatini and mussels while I basked in
the afterglow of my new insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment