Saturday, September 5, 2020

Story No. 3, "The Pearly Gates"



The Pearly Gates

You know what bugs me? People with annoying driving habits. Like “ass-huggers.” These drivers speed up to catch up to you, then they stick to you like glue. They won’t pass, despite the many opportunities. You slow down, they slow down; you speed up, they speed up. “Look at that bastard!” I exclaim to myself. “Right on my ass!”
“Ass-huggers,” that’s what I call them. It’s not nice, I know; but they can get pretty annoying some days. I’m not a slow driver, so they have no reason to tail-gate me. On average, I drive 10 K over the speed limit. That’s the best speed to make good time and not get a ticket; but that’s just a bit too fast and a bit too slow for tail-gaiting “ass-huggers.”
 But that’s not quite good enough for the front runners. “Phony leaders,” I call them. They catch up to you (God knows where they came from, they certainly weren’t there the last time you looked in the rearview mirror), and then they pass you and slow down just enough to make an “ass-hugger” out of you!
I hate being an “ass-hugger.” The very thought makes me feel like a brown-nosing sycophant, so I either get pissed off and pass them right back, pulling so far ahead that they know damn well I’m pissed off, or I slow down and let them get away on me; but either way, I’m still subject to their annoying driving habit, and I just hate that!
I have to ask myself, are these people conscious of their driving habits? Are they aware of the effect they have on other drivers, or are they so self-absorbed that they are oblivious to the rest of the world? I don’t think so.
Years of probing the human psyche has forced me to conclude that on some level they know exactly what they are doing, and they do it because it gives them some measure of perverse pleasure; but what kind of pleasure could that be?
Power. That’s the magic word. Driving empowers people, and driving habits reveal the mechanics of personality. We take power, we give power; this is the free exchange of the vital life force between people; and driving habits reveal this subtle exchange of power.
Take the “ass-hugger,” for example. He (and it is usually a he) will speed up to catch up to you. You’re doing 100 K, so you’re already driving above the 90 K speed limit. This means that they had to be doing more than you to catch up to you; but they refuse to pass. They just cling to you like some kind of mechanical parasite that refuses to let go; and as bizarre as this may sound, I can actually feel the vital life force being sucked out of me!
“Oh no, you don’t!” I exclaim to myself. “You’re not going to suck my power out of me! Earn your own damn power!” And I slow down so much that they are forced, out of sheer embarrassment (or frustration, if they are operating on an unconscious level), to put the pedal to the metal, as they like to say, and pass me.
Or, if I’m really pissed off, I speed up so fast that they just don’t have the balls to catch up to me for fear of getting a ticket. Me, I’ll pay the damn ticket just to prove my point to the power-sucking “ass-hugger”!
I’ve often wanted to stop these “ass-huggers” and ask them a few questions— “Please help me out here. I’m doing a study on behalf of my behavioral science department at university to determine if there’s a correlation between a person’s driving habits and their profession. If you wouldn’t mind, could you please tell me what you do for a living?”
And it wouldn’t surprise me if they were to tell me that they were all employees, not bosses. Workers who are told what to do but don’t like being told what to do, so they follow reluctantly. They speed up to catch up to you, telling me that they want recognition in their work, but they don’t have it in them to pass you and become leaders; so, they place themselves in the frustrated category of tail-gating “ass-huggers.”
“Why should I pass?” I can hear them saying, as he (again, it’s hardly ever a she)) clings just close enough to piss me off. “If I pass, I’ll be the one speeding, and what if there’s a cop ahead with a radar trap? I’ll get a ticket, not him. No, I think I’ll just stay right here and play it safe,” he says to himself.
That’s the magic word that describes the “ass-hugger”—safe!
They play it safe. They are employees who don’t want to take any risks to get ahead in life. They have absolutely no concept of what the spirit of the law means, because they observe, with sycophantic obedience, the letter of the law; but they don’t like it, and they suck the power out of you the only way they can—by frustrating you, like tail-gaiting.
“Ass-huggers” follow close behind, because they want to be seen. They need validation for their work; because if they didn’t need validation, they would simply do their work and be satisfied in the knowledge that they’re doing a good job. That’s why they speed up to catch up to you, but then stay behind. And by staying just close enough behind, they lock into your sphere of psychic power and feed on it by frustrating those who dare to take the initiative of leadership, just like sucking the psychic power out of a front runner in a marathon race by consciously and deliberately running just a few yards behind him.
The risk of getting a speeding ticket at 100 K per hour is minimal if the speed limit is 90 K, but if the tail-gaiting “ass-hugger” passes, he puts himself in the lead and risks having to go faster than 100 K to stay in the lead, which will maximize his chances of getting a ticket; that’s why he tail-gates; and again, it’s very seldom a she.
And that’s why “ass-huggers” are difficult people to work with. They want recognition but don’t want to go out on a limb, so they always play it safe; and playing it safe fosters a petty, nit-picking personality that frustrates the hell out of employees with initiative. But “ass-huggers” love it, because they feed off their frustration. It’s their nature.
“Ass-huggers” can’t be blamed for anything, because they follow the rules as safely to the letter as they dare (“I wasn’t really speeding…”), but they cling to those who take the initiative because they’re not honest enough to admit that they’re just employees who are asked nothing more than to just do their job well, otherwise they would follow behind at the appropriate distance and not frustrate the hell out of everyone, especially motorists.

And then there’s the driver who speeds up and passes you and then immediately slows down to your speed—or suddenly turns off, often without signaling; which really irritates the hell out of me! It doesn’t make sense, does it? I don’t know which driver frustrates me more, the “ass-hugger” or the “phony leader.”
I never know where they come from, so obviously they must have been speeding to catch up to me because I’m doing 100 K; but they simply cannot follow at the appropriate distance which, if I’m not mistaken, is one car-length for every 10 K.
They have to be in the lead, but it’s not a genuine lead; it’s inauthentic. Mauvaise foi, Sartre would say. They just cannot stand to be behind anyone, so they have to move in front. Not far enough in front to be a genuine leader, because if they were genuine leaders, they would not slow down to the same speed that you are doing, but just stay far enough in front of you to feed their false sense of being in control, and frustrate you to no end.
If I were to stop these “phony leaders” and include them in my imaginary behavioral science project and ask them about their careers, I have no doubt that these drivers would be perceptive enough to see the correlation between their driving habits and work habits, and I say this because of the basic flaw in their character—inauthenticity.
The historian Plutarch wrote that the character of a great general can be revealed by his slightest gesture—a keen insight into the mysterious language of symbology; and I know, from years of driving the highways of northwestern Ontario, that the driver who passes me and then slows down to my speed is not a great general, but a “phony leader.”
“No way I’m going to follow him,” they scream, in silent but phony outrage. They’re angry people, these phony generals; and it isn’t anything that anyone else has done to them, it’s their own basic insecurity, because “phony leaders” are frustrated, unresolved people.
Authenticity cannot be purchased with false coin. It has to be earned with honesty, sincerity, and truthfulness; but the world is a grinding factory of compromise, and few people come out the other end without a hole in their soul. Life’s lessons cost, and few people learn them the first time around—that’s why they keep coming back; but to realize this, they have to be honest with themselves, and if the “phony leader” cannot see that his leadership isn’t genuine, he will be in for much more of the same in life—disappointment.
Disappointments can be a great tool for learning, but we have to get over our anger first; and this is not easy to do for many people. I’ve seen people go to their grave angry at the whole world, but a closer look at their private lives would tell me that these angry people are the disappointed recipients of what they themselves put out in life.
You cannot be a “phony leader” and expect to get all the accolades that come with genuine leadership; life does not work like that. The only thing we get by being phony is more disappointment, because reality rejects the false.
The false will be found out eventually, it is an incontrovertible law of life (karma, actually), and that’s the day of another disappointment. This is so obvious to me that I cannot bear the burden of its simplicity, and whenever one of these “phony leaders” passes me and then slows down to my speed, I have to call upon my higher power to keep from doing something that I may later regret— “I know why you’re doing this,” I say to him, letting out some of my pent-up rage; “so don’t think you’re pulling a fast one on me. But I’ll be damned if you’re going to get my power by making a frustrated “ass-hugger” out of me!”
And I either pull back far enough so he can have all the control he thinks he has, or I speed up and leave him in my dust; it all depends upon my day.

And then there’s the “tax-payer” driver. This driver loves to hog the road and hug the line. And occasionally, depending upon how important he feels that day, he might just cross over the line to let you know that he pays real big taxes and the road belongs to him, and him alone! That’s the peculiar annoying habit of the “tax-payer” driver.
At first I thought these road-hogging, line-hugging “tax-payer” drivers had a vision problem, or had trouble keeping their vehicle under control and wavered from side to side; but no, the more I observed these “tax-payer” drivers, the more I began to see the personality trait of their peculiar, and really annoying driving habit.
More often than not, they are male and do not waver from side to side unintentionally; they are relatively decent middle-class people who are fed up with all the taxes they have to pay for what they feel they have worked so hard to obtain. Accomplished, to a point, very proud, and obsessively self-possessed; which makes them individuals who have to have control and will lose their temper when they cannot get their own way.
“Tax-payer” drivers are dangerous. They play with other people’s lives. They don’t care. They are indifferent to the needs of other people, because they have become insensitive to them. How can they be, being so self-possessed? They want to have complete control of their life, but reality will not allow that to happen; so, they take out their frustrations on the rest of the world by being difficult and quarrelsome, and they type themselves.
“Tax-payers” are surly customers, the ones who are almost, if not impossible to please. They have to have their bread toasted just the way they like it, and if it is not the right shade of toastedness, they will let the waitress know. “Take it back. That’s not toasted the way I want it. I said dark. You do know what dark is, don’t you?”
The “tax-payer” is the person who says to the civil servant, “I’m paying your salary! You better damn well listen to what I have to say!” It’s not, “My taxes help to pay your salary.” It’s, “I’m paying your salary!” ME!” That’s his theme song, and he expects to be treated with respect or there’ll be hell to pay.
But has he earned this respect? Just because he pays taxes—which, incidentally, are no more than anyone else’s in his station in life—does that mean that the whole world has to cater to his whims? And here, it could just as easily be a she as a he.
If you listen to the “tax-payer,” you’d think that they alone support the entire system, and that it should be at their beck and call; but because reality doesn’t work like that, it follows logically that something has to give, and it’s not going to be the system.
The system is much too big for one puny disgruntled “tax-payer,” so they have to give; and this is what helps to type the “tax-payer” arrogant, and surly.
I came upon a “tax-payer” driver at the gas pumps one day at our local Esso station and he was complaining bitterly about the price of gas, which had just gone up four cents a litre, and I said to him, in all of my innocence and naivety, “All the moaning and groaning in the world isn’t going to change the price of gas, so why frustrate yourself?”
He couldn’t see my point, and he never will as long as he remains centered in his self-absorbed personality; so, whenever I see a smug “tax-payer” hugging the line (especially if I’m trying to pass), I, following the guiding principles of the Tao, move out of my own way and let him think that he owns the whole road, enjoying very much watching them play their silly little game. And this enlightened attitude pleases me.
“Tax-payers” are native to their sense of entitlement, and it doesn’t matter how much reason informs them of their selfish perspective, they will not shift outside the suffocating box they have built for themselves with their sense of self-importance; and the air in their little box can get pretty stale after a few years of breathing in the same noxious fumes, which is why these people become negative and cynical about everything good in life. 
Strangely enough, Dr. Bernie Siegel, who wrote Love, Medicine & Miracles, found a correlation between these negative types and cancer patients!

As much as the “tax-payer” driver amuses me with their exaggerated sense of self-importance, the driving habit that amuses me the most—after I’ve vented myself of my road rage, of course—is the “career-turner.”
Have you ever followed someone, and it doesn’t matter if it’s on the highway or in the city (especially in the city), who makes a career out of making a simple turn?
Doesn’t that just frustrate the hell out of you? They make their signal (very often long before it’s necessary) and turn so slowly that it brings the rhythm of your day to a screeching halt; and I swear to God Almighty that this innocuous driving habit feels to me like someone scratching the blackboard of my psyche!
After years of observing the “career-turner,” I came to the conclusion that these motorists (quite often the elders of our tribe who should have the wisdom to know better) make a “career turn” for one of two reasons: they either think they’re being cautious, or they are simply being mindless.
Definitely not a Zen thing to do, for the art of Zen is mindfulness in all things; but they are oblivious to all other vehicles on the road. It seems to me like making their turn demands all of their attention, which is why I dubbed them “career-turners.”
Actually, this came to me quite by chance. I was driving in the city one day when I came upon a driver who was taking so long to make a simple turn that I could not contain my mounting rage and shouted, “Come on, for Christ’s sake! What the hell are you doing, making a career out of that fucking turn!”
Every motorist has a certain amount of road rage in them, regardless of who they are; and we all deal with it in our own way. I have to let it out while I’m driving. I can’t help myself. I have to vent; and as amusing as “career-turners” can be in their annoying caution or mindlessness, some days they can drive me crazy.
It’s not really the slow turn that bothers me, it’s the mindlessness. If Christ’s salvific teaching could be reduced to one simple imperative, I would have to say it would be a simply admonition to WAKE UP to life. That’s what Zen Buddhism is all about too, waking up to the illusions of life, and most especially our own self-delusions.
But the driver who makes a career out of turning is asleep at the wheel, and if I were to include him or her in my imaginary survey, I’d probably learn that they’re ordinary folk who mean well; more than likely, church-going people who sing their Sunday hymns by rote and listen to their pastor’s sermon without giving it a moment’s critical thought.
Sheep. That’s the image that comes to my mind. Lazy-minded sheep just grazing their way through life. That’s why “career-turners” bug me—because these sheep, as harmless as they appear to be, are primarily responsible for retarding the rhythm of life.
Oblivious to the flow of the traffic, they go their merry way believing that God is in his heaven and all is right with the world; but little do they realize that they, in their lazy-minded simple way, do more harm than good. And that’s what really bugs me—their damn idiotic complacency!

And then we have your “Sunday driver.”
I, of course, like every other motorist, am guilty of being a “Sunday driver” every once in a while; but unlike most “Sunday drivers,” I do my utmost to be attentive to the flow of the traffic, because I don’t want to stir up those nasty little negative forces that will, as sure as God made little green apples, come back to bite me in the ass.
It’s all about karma, really; the imperceptible law of cause and effect. People wonder why bad things happen to good people, but that’s only because they’re blind to how the law of inevitable return works in life; because if they weren’t blind to it, they would not turn heavenward to beseech God to explain to them why there’s so much suffering in the world; they would know that we, in our profound karmic ignorance, are responsible.
You don’t go for a Sunday drive on the freeway of life; that’s just plain stupid. You turn off and go down a side road that has little traffic. You drive slowly, relaxing and taking in all of nature’s loveliness; that’s what Sunday driving is all about. It’s not about forcing the flow of traffic to slow down just for you; that’s idiotic, and dangerous.
But that’s the reality, isn’t it? “Sunday drivers” can be found everywhere. They impose their rules upon the rest of us and are proud of it. They have a God-given right to live life the way they want, and by God, they’re going to live it! But there’s a price to pay for this astigmatism; and that price is what perplexes the Rabbi Kushners of this world.
Life has never been static. It’s always in a state of flux. Heraclitus knew this. You can never cross the same river twice, he said; but when we resist keeping abreast of this change, we pay the price of being dragged behind—technologically, philosophically, and spiritually; and this causes suffering, because we are being dragged against our will.
The “Sunday driver” wants to impose his will upon the flow of life’s traffic, and life reacts; that’s what karma is all about—action-reaction.
We act, life reacts. Life acts, we react; and learning how the interplay of action-reaction affects our life is what waking up to life is all about.
The Tao (the guiding wisdom of life) teaches us to go around obstacles instead of confronting them, and going for a Sunday drive on the freeway of life would not be wise.
Confrontation causes friction, and friction is responsible for suffering; so, a “Sunday driver” who slows down the flow of traffic causes friction which can cause an explosion of pent-up energies, like a motor collision.
And vehicle accidents cause pain and suffering. And God, for all of His-Her-Its omnipotence, doesn’t have a damn thing to do about it. End of story!

Now we come to the “timid driver” who has so little confidence in their driving skills that they take every precaution they can think of to be a safe driver. Little do they realize that their caution is responsible for more accidents then they would dare imagine.
The “timid driver” always drives the speed limit, or well below. The flow of traffic on the Trans-Canada Highway, or any freeway, does not observe the speed limit (it’s unfortunate, but true); but the “timid driver,” for reasons which I can only assume to be caution, observes the law to the letter, and this seriously impedes the flow of traffic.
And they invariably hug the curb. Unlike the road-hogging “taxpayer driver,” the “timid-driver” drives on the far-right side of the road, telling me, in the all-encompassing language of symbology, that they are as conservative as conservative can be.
The “timid-driver” never passes. They never speed up enough to pass, unless of course a motorist is having vehicle problems and must go very slow; and if the “timid driver” does, in a moment of unprecedented courage (maybe to impress a passenger) decide to pass, they take so long to catch up to pass that they often run out of passing lane.
If I were to stop the “timid driver” and ask him or her to participate in my behavioral science survey, unquestionably the common trait that I would find in all the “timid drivers” would be fear. “I hate driving,” I can hear them saying. “Especially in the city!”
I know rural and small-town drivers who are terrified of having to drive into the city, and short of a doctor’s appointment very little else will induce them to drive in the city. But this fear is a natural response, given that city driving demands a whole new set of driving skills; nevertheless, fear does inhibit the “timid driver,” whether in the city or elsewhere.
Out of fear of making a dangerous mistake, the motorist who has not built up their driving confidence compensates with extreme caution. With time and experience, the “timid driver” can outgrow their fear of driving; but some don’t. They continue to be “timid drivers,” because they are basically timid people; and short of a radical personality transformation, fear will always be central to their life. That’s just their nature.

And now we come to the complete opposite of the “timid driver,” the driver who is so outrageously confident in his control of the road that he has become the recipient of motorist curses no less damning than Christ’s curse of the fig tree—the “transport driver!”
I have experienced “transport drivers” too often to let them off the hook when they excuse themselves by telling us that they have to gear down and gear up, which is why they try to maintain a steady speed; but they push, and push, and push regardless of weather conditions (which can be outrageous in our northwestern Ontario winters) until we get so pissed off with them pushing us that we—and I don’t know of any motorist who hasn’t cursed them—cry out in sheer frustration, “For Christ’s sake, get off my ass!”
It’s only a guestimate, with no scientific data to back it up, but after more than a quarter century of driving the Trans-Canada Highway, I’ve come to the conclusion that “transport drivers” are responsible for at least twenty-five percent of all motor vehicle accidents. It’s only a theory, mind you; but until I’m proven wrong, I’m going to stick by it.
Transports command respect, and when all is said and done, the reason why “transport drivers” are cursed by motorists so much is because they abuse their authority.
I can count on one hand the number of times I have observed a “transport driver” going the speed limit of 90 K, and on two hands (and maybe my feet as well, to be fair) going 10 K over the speed limit; more often than not, they love to drive between 110 and 120 K.
On my way to the Lakehead one day a “transport driver got on my ass, and he pushed me. I was travelling my regular 100 K, ten K above the speed limit; but he was right on my ass and kept pushing me. I sped up to 110 K, and he kept pushing me. I hit 120, and he kept pushing me. I said to myself, “Alright, you bastard—let’s go for it!”
We were approaching the KOA campsite hill just on the outskirts of the city, a few miles from the Terry Fox Scenic Lookout, when he decided to pass me. I’m going 125 K down the hill now, and he pulls alongside me; but I speed up to 135. He speeds up. I hit 140, he hits 140, and we’re neck in neck. I hit 145, and he hits 145. I look ahead and see that we’re running out of passing lane, so do I let him pass?
Yes, I let him pass. But I don’t curse him. I just wanted him to know that the game he was playing with me was a very dangerous game, but I played. I got tired of him deliberately pushing me, and I played to get his attention. And that, I honestly suspect, is one reason why “transport drivers” cause accidents; they try our patience until we can take no more, and we do something very stupid—like I did!
How many motorists refuse to go over 100 K when a “transport driver” has pushed them to their limit? And by the end of the day, how much time will they have gained by pushing the way they do? If it were possible to take a survey and balance out the minutes that “transport drivers” save at the end of the day by pushing the way they do with the frustration they cause motorists, would they stop pushing?
I believe they would. The time that they save at the end of the day by pushing motorists would not be worth all of the frustration, anxiety, and anger that they cause by abusing their authority; and if they don’t feel so good at the end of their day—a splitting headache or queasy and upset stomach—it may not be because they were on the road so long, or because of the greasy restaurant food they ate along the way; it may be because of all those curses heaped upon them by all the outraged motorists that they frustrated.

And St. Peter said to the “transport driver” when he came to the Pearly Gates— “Let’s see. It says here that in twenty years of driving transports, you saved an average of fifty-two minutes per day. Not bad, not bad. You made good time. But were you not aware of the law of inevitable return?”
“I beg your pardon?” says the “transport driver.”
“Do you honestly believe that the time you saved by speeding was free time?” St. Peter asks, with a deep frown on his angelic face.
“I don’t understand,” says the “transport driver.”
“Ignorance of the law is no excuse,” St. Peter replies, sternly. “There is no such thing as free time, my boy; no such thing. You pay for every second of time that you steal from life. Now, if you would give me a moment to figure this out…Yes, here we are. You stole an average of 52 minutes per day, times the number of days that you drove transport…Yes, here we have it: 379, 600 minutes. Take a look. See this number?”
“Yes," the “transport driver” replies, puzzled.
“That, I’m sorry to inform you, will be the amount of time that you will have to serve back down there.”
“But—”
“No buts. It’s the law!”
“But—”
I said NO BUTS! Now, let’s look at the other files of your life. Humm, this looks interesting…”

——

No comments:

Post a Comment