Saturday, February 8, 2020

Poem for the week: "The Lady in the Chapel"


The Lady in the Chapel

The lady was kneeling in the back pew
of the chapel in St. Michael’s Hospital
in the heart of Toronto “the Good” where
I had brought the love of my life for her
follow-up MRI for the surgery she had
at St. Michael’s for her ruptured brain
aneurysm that she recovered from with no
cognitive or motor impairment, a miracle
that I attributed to her surgeon’s gift and
St. Padre Pio, to whom I prayed with no
less intent that I saw on the lady’s face
in the chapel as she prayed her wooden
rosary beads while my love and I waited
for the results of her MRI from her surgeon,
and when we got up to leave for my love’s
appointment with Dr. Aditya, I walked up
to the lady in the chapel, bent over, and
with my heart in my throat, whispered into
her ear, “Pray to St. Padre Pio. He gave us
a miracle,” and she looked into my eyes,
surprised but not startled, nodded that she
would, and I left, leaving her to continue
praying her rosary for her loved one
in St. Michael’s Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment