Saturday, February 22, 2020

Poem for the week: "My Good Neighbor"


My Good Neighbor

He’s an old sausage maker,
my good neighbor, who brought
this old custom with him from
the old country when he was only
seventeen, and he picked up a pork
shoulder and casings for me in the
city so I could make sausages like
my parents, but I found my good
neighbor in his basement getting
the meat ready for the grinder so
we could make my sausages together,
and when he had stripped the skin
and most of the fat off the shoulder,
he cut it into small pieces for the
hand grinder, and when I ground all
the pork he added the spices—salt,
paprika, and chili flakes (like my
parents, I like to add fennel seeds;
but my good neighbor didn’t like
fennel in his sausages, and I relented
to his preference); and then we got
the casings ready, washing off the
salt with cold water and lemon, and
then he slid a casing onto the funnel
for me to grind the spiced meat into
the casing; but before we stuffed the
casings, we fried a patty to taste and
added a touch more paprika, and he
pricked them so they could breath
and we tied the links and hung them
in his pantry, and the next morning
I picked them up and Penny and I
packed them into freezer bags to use
when we needed them (we love them
on pizza, spaghetti sauce, and with
my own recipe of pasta aglio e olio),
leaving two sausages out for our eggs
and sausage breakfast; but the next
time we make sausages together, I’m
going to add fennel seeds because he
refused to take any of the sausages
I intended to give him, because
my good neighbor, true to his nature,
loves to give more than to receive,
and my company was thanks
enough for him.





No comments:

Post a Comment